• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NW Endangered Fish Species

I hope some ichthyologist is reading this or some foodie who knows a lot about fish...

Went today to my favorite Seattle fishmonger, Pure Food at the Market. Did you know that two (I think) Sephardic families founded this place in the early 20th century? They came right off the boat from the Mediterranean (where many Jews made their living from the sea). I'm an Ashkenazi Jew originally from NYC. So the idea of Jews fishing or peddling fish fresh off the boat is quite amazing to me.

Anyway, my real topic of conversation is endangered fish species: which ones sold here in Seattle are endangered and is there any sure way to tell or know whether what you're buying is endangered &/or was caught legally? Specifically, Pure Fish had a beautifully gleaming white piece of Chilean Sea Bass in the display case. I asked the counterman (it's taken me over a yr. to get up the courage to ask this question since I love their shop & don't want to be seen as a troublemaking customer): I've read that CSB is really the Patagonian Toothfish and is extremely endangered and that most of it caught is illegal. He answered that this fish was a real Chilean Sea Bass & not the Patagonian Toothfish. When I thought about it the explanation seemed either dead on correct; or completely bogus. Who could tell? Can anyone enlighten me (& us) more on the subject.

I'm pretty sure this has been linked somwhere here before, but by far the best resource I've found on this issue is Seafood Watch's web site.

I don't believe that there is any such beast as the "real" Chilean sea bass. My understanding is that the name Chilean sea bass was a marketing choice because Patagonian toothfish didn't make consumers' mouths water.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Yep, Chilean sea bass is Patagonian Toothfish. Most of it is caught and imported illegally through other countries in South America. It has declined so much in the last few years that it may be totally extinct within the next decade. Recently, some has made it's way to Seattle with an official tag from the Chilean government stating that it was caught within that country's waters. Not really the point anymore...

Another dangerous purchase is any Caspian Sea caviar. The whole production is collapsing because of the decemation of the sturgeon by factors which are so overwhelming that the ecosystem may not recover from the point at which it is now. Over-harvesting and unchecked pollution from the bordering countries, none of which, except Iran, are willing to take responsibility for the problems are leading to sure extinction of the Beluga, with the other species not far behind.

Here are two more good seafood watch websites.

www.seafoodchoices.com

www.caviaremptor.org

The amazing thing to me is that independent seafood shops, as well as seafood counters within supermarkets, are so ambivalent about the future of what they're selling. The products continue to be offered, but in a few years will be completely gone. I think it would be smarter to alert consumers to sustainable choices and reap the rewards from customer trust than take the money and run.

Whole Foods seems to be at the forefront of offering products that reflect a responsibility to the environment, and look how they're doing. No Chilean sea bass and you still can't squeeze through the front door on a Saturday afternoon...

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

:sad: This summer I read a book called "Caviar: the strange history and uncertain future of the world's most coveted delicacy". It was sad and sobering and fascinating. Oh yeah, the author's last name is Saffron. Can't recall the first name. There indeed will not be Caspian caviar in the very near future.

Yep, Chilean sea bass is Patagonian Toothfish. Most of it is caught and imported illegally through other countries in South America. It has declined so much in the last few years that it may be totally extinct within the next decade. Recently, some has made it's way to Seattle with an official tag from the Chilean government stating that it was caught within that country's waters. Not really the point anymore...

The amazing thing to me is that independent seafood shops, as well as seafood counters within supermarkets, are so ambivalent about the future of what they're selling. The products continue to be offered, but in a few years will be completely gone. I think it would be smarter to alert consumers to sustainable choices and reap the rewards from customer trust than take the money and run.

Whole Foods seems to be at the forefront of offering products that reflect a responsibility to the environment, and look how they're doing. No Chilean sea bass and you still can't squeeze through the front door on a Saturday afternoon...

You're dead on. I'm amazed that the good Seattle fishmongers like Mutual & Pure Fish don't do more to explain what they sell, where it comes from, authenticate that the catch is caught legally, etc. As you say, they should feel a responsibility to both educate customers & be accountable to them regarding what they sell. It's really short sighted & irresponsible.

I have to admit I bought a piece at Pure Foods (based on the counterman's bogus explanation). It was very good. But not worth adding to the endangeredness of this species. Won't buy it again.