• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beer tasting in NYC or NJ?

ral

Hi all, fellow beer lover here...

I'm trying to find a beer tasting to bring some people to as a holiday gift. We're looking for something adult, but still fun. That is to say that we're not going with the intention of partying and getting plastered (although that may happen by the time we're through), but would love to try some unusual or seasonal brews.

I know there are many wine classes in New York, but I haven't been able to find a beer tasting that isn't a huge festival.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

-ral

:laugh:

How about Brooklyn Brewery tour? :unsure:

That is an excellent idea.

In addition, I'd call a few of the better known beer bars/brewpubs, like Gingerman or Heartland, and ask if they do tastings.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

In addition, I'd call a few of the better known beer bars/brewpubs, like Gingerman or Heartland, and ask if they do tastings.

John,

Mugs Ale House, one of the best beer bars in NYC is just 3-4 blocks (maybe less) from Brooklyn Brewery.

Edited by LJDolan (log)

If you are in to Belgian Beers, go to Waterzooi in Garden City. Every Monday night they have a beer dinner, 3 courses, each paired with a different Belgain beer. Or, if you'd prefer something less formal, just grab their 9 page beer menu and go to town! Waterzooi is a very nice place to eat and drink.

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

Ral, if you are anywhere near Bogota, NJ, you might think of stopping into a place called Andy's Corner Bar:

http://www.andyscornerbar.com

They have meticulously mantained taps, with 6-7 (maybe more) frequently changing beers, ales, stouts, etc, plus many many more in bottles. They also run a 100-beer club, and have frequent promo nights for the brewers. Nice place!

Edited to fix link.

PS - they also have cask-conditioned ales!

Edited by beachcove (log)

There's a beer tasting with food hosted by Garrett Olive (Brooklyn Brewery Brewmaster) that's going on at ICE that's going on this week. I'm going to be there Thursday night; they have Latin, Asian, and Holiday food paired with whatever beer best suits the food. Should be fun.