• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas dessert

Joni

I'm making one of my favorite Christmas desserts, probably my most favorite chocolate dessert in the world, Abby Mandel's Boule de Neige (snowball) from Maida Heatter's Book of Great Chocolate Desserts.

The rest of the family usually wants a chocolate souffle roll, which is great, but I like the snowball better. It's a flourless chocolate cake baked in a mixing bowl. Just before serving, you pipe whipped cream rosettes all over so it actually looks like a snowball, then cut in wedges to serve. Garnished with holly (don't eat any) it's beautiful.

I'll probably make a second dessert, as yet to be determined.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Mexican Chocolate Cake--- (called Ibarra Chocolate Cake in Southwest Tastes: From TV series Great Chefs of the West

flourless cake;; batter consisting of eggs, grated almonds, grated chocolate, minced orange peel, orange juice, sugar and cinnamon. Paint w/Grand Marnier when cool. Then cover with dark chocolate glaze...

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

The suet pudding done in the crockpot worked excellently. I've got a big old Rival that I use for beans mostly because it's so heavy, one piece and cannot get element wet. I set it up in my pantry and it's happily working on #3. Ah - not wetting elements made me think of something-use a piece of tinfoil and cover it up to cut down cussing time.

I want to do a pumpkin creme fraiche this month. Let's call it a pudding.

1 can 15 oz. of pumkin puree

3/4 cup firmly packed light-brown sugar

8 oz. creme fraiche (preferable home made)

2 large eggs

1 t. ground ginger

1/4 t. fresh nutmeg

1/4 t. salt

1/8 t. ground cloves

In a bowl, whisk the ingredients until smooth. Pass through a fine sieve, discard

solids. You CAN pour this into your favorite pie crust, bake until fillling is set,

about 40 min. maximum and let cool. Transfer to your favorite dish.

No,Trish, it's probably sacreligious, but out of five puddings, three are gifts, so I do them in one pound coffee cans. Then I make the hard sauce and jar it up too. I got to say that I kind of miss the steamroom effect the stovetop steaming gave my kitchen-pause-okay, I'm over it!

Ok, so the tiramisu eggnog trifle is DEFINITELY a go. I thought the taste was incredible, but I'm glad I did a test run. For anyone considering, I strongly suggest making this. It has a great eggnog flavor and it's huge. And the photo (in the mag and on epicurious) is just gorgeous. Here are my thoughts:

First, I used homemade mascarpone. That got a little dicey (and you can read a bit of what happened on this thread. I'll still use my own mascarpone for the real thing. You just can't beat the price since 2 quarts of whipping cream ($8) will yield the needed 2 lb of cheese ($20).

Second, I made my own ladyfingers (Herme's recipe). I don't think I'll go that route again. No doubt, it's my method, but while the ladyfingers tasted great, they were on the thin side and didn't give too much in the way of soaked sponge compared to the immense amount of cream. It's a toss up now between store bought, which would be larger and crispier or making a genoise (as suggested earlier in this thread). I think I'm liking the sound of the genoise and the ingredients are really close to the ladyfinger batter anyway.

Third, the alcohol. By the recipe, this makes a dessert with a kick. Perfect for my family. But my wife's family is a bit more timid in that respect, so I'll be cutting back the alcohol portions by about one fourth when I make it for them. I don't know what this will do to the flavor, but I don't think they'd appreciate it otherwise.

And last, I'll definitely try the chocolate leaves. I didn't spend the time on the test and I still don't have a clue as to where to buy leaves. But I have a baby orange tree with some healthy leaves that I can steal...albeit, only about five before I strip the poor thing. The recipe does suggest that these will keep a couple days refrigerated, so that's what I'm banking on.

Good luck!

A Josceline Dimbleby recipe, Tarte Montmartre - a lemon souffle tart baked in a chocolate pastry case, glazed with bitter chocolate. Served with chilled pouring cream (it cuts the richness, you know...)

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

Ms. Alex makes a bunch of kolacki (ko-LOTCH-key), a traditional Polish/Eastern European cookie. Here's a recipe. (Ms. Alex fills it with fruit preserves instead of walnuts, and bakes in a convection oven at 325°F for 12-13 min.)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Buche de Noel - my children's favorite

Grandma McCracken's Carrot Pudding - a steamed carrot/ potato/ raisin and spice dish served with rum sauce. This seems to be native to the Scots-Irish part of Canada that I'm from and definitely descends from peasant "cuisine". My Grandmother would be scandalized by the rum sauce but it really makes the dish. This is the one thing that makes it Christmas to me.

Carrot Pudding - a steamed carrot/ potato/ raisin and spice dish served with rum sauce.

Does this have to be made weeks ahead? If it does not, would you please post the recipe. This is the Christmas dessert that we always had as children. I am making Christmas dinner for my 83 year old mother this year and would love to surprise her with this dessert.

Life is short, eat dessert first

Grandma McCracken's Carrot Pudding

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup very finely grated suet or vegetable shortening

1 cup grated potato

1 cup grated carrot

1 cup grated apple

1/2 teaspoon cloves

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking soda - mixed with the grated potato, carrot and apple

1 cup raisins

1 Tablespoon molasses

2 cups flour

Mix it all together and steam covered in a mold or bowl for 3-4 hours. Make about a week ahead and wrap and refrigerate. Re heat over steam and serve small portions.

She always served it with a brown sugar sauce - water, sugar, cornstarch, vanilla and butter but it is really good with rum sauce - I use the Joy of Cooking one.

Note: Thanks so much for asking for this. I am happy to share the recipe and please let me know how it turns out. PM if you need more help.

A large (11 inch) apple-cranberry tart. I started working on this for Thanksgiving, based on input from my thread here, reviewing about eight to ten recipies for apple tarts and cranbrry tarts, and feedback from family. When I get this tweaked (two more to go) I'll post it.

I would like to make a steamed pudding for Christmas. Is there anything special I should know? The carrot pudding sounds good, but I don't want to use suet. Could I subsitute butter, or should I use a different recipe? I have an old pudding steamer which has a lid and prongs to hold it on and wonder if I need to line it or just grease it? I saw a recipe that called for steaming the pudding for 6 hours, and then refrigerating it, and then to heat it up before serving, steaming it for another 2 hours. Is this necessary? If it is, I may be forced to make something else.

I would like to make a steamed pudding for Christmas. Is there anything special I should know? The carrot pudding sounds good, but I don't want to use suet. Could I subsitute butter, or should I use a different recipe? I have an old pudding steamer which has a lid and prongs to hold it on and wonder if I need to line it or just grease it? I saw a recipe that called for steaming the pudding for 6 hours, and then refrigerating it, and then to heat it up before serving, steaming it for another 2 hours. Is this necessary? If it is, I may be forced to make something else.

Good success reheating a steamed pudding by slicing it, covering with a moist paper towel and microwaving for a few seconds or so...

Unsalted butter would work and most of the recipes of this kind have good results with solid vegetable shortening. 6 hours seems like a lot and this recipe doesn't make a huge pudding. I also use a well greased and floured pudding mold and steam for about 3 hours. Microwaving works really well to reheat. This pudding keeps well in the refrigerator for months.

Good luck with the project

I've read this thread with interest as I am very undecided. I think I've finally settled on a chocolate mousse with a sabayon sauce, though the idea of an egg nog bread pudding with a brandy hard sauce really appeals too. Such difficult choices!!

Betts, thanks for posting that carrot pudding. I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

Grandma McCracken's Carrot Pudding

Betts - I just thought that I would let you know that I made Carrot Pudding for Christmas dessert. I actually found my mother's old receipe, which was remarkably like yours (mine originated on the Canadian prairies). It brought back wonderful memories of childhood Christmas's for my mother, myself and my husband.

Thank you for reviving this receipe. :smile:

Life is short, eat dessert first