• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ENOVA OIL

cbel964

i've seen it in my stores, but am not quite sold on it yet - then again i haven't done enough research on diaglycerols (did i spell that right?).

what's the smoke point like on it?

ps - your kitty has a face jsut like mine. i keep thinking i'm looking at him! *lol*

Edited by tryska (log)

My chem prof was telling us that when it fully hits the market it will be huge! It's the miracle oil and I remember him saying that it has a high smoke point (he's into foodie stuff too, so always adds that extra bit). I wonder hoe it tastes though?

they say you can - and should - use it in your deep fryer.

I only have a 20 ounce bottle, so I haven't yet.... so i would imagine it can tolerate a pretty high heat.

My kitty is my darling baby - the child I never had

a high smoke point is a good thing - so larry did you're chem prof explain how exactly it works?

He did, but I forgot off the top of my head. I would have to go back to last year's notes.

i have set my chemstry goddess girlfriend on the task...i'll have an answer shortly i think

"The Internet is just a world passing around notes in a classroom."

---John Stewart

my blog

• 11 months later...

Has anyone else had success with Enova? I bought a bottle a few weeks ago at our local H.E.B. and have been using it in all kinds of dishes, including french fries. So far, the results have been fabulous. My only complaint is that it's expensive. Hopefully, it will catch on.

I first picked up a bottle in Atlanta last year, after it was featured in Shape magazine, and have since ordered a case when it ran out. I've used it for frying and for salad dressings, and it tastes very light both ways. I experienced no weird side effects. Only hit I take is the price - I'd buy it all the time if it were available here, and it were cheaper. (Supposedly they released Enova only in Southern and the midland states because of the higher instances of home frying).

I think shipping was free if your ordered over a certain amount - it's been a while since I've ordered last. Costco should give them a call and cut a deal with them!

Edited by skyflyer3 (log)

This is actually a Japanese product and has been here for a couple years now, though it is called Econa over here. It is quite pricey over here too about twice the price of canola, I just used it for the first time a couple weeks ago when I received it as a gift.

I like it as a basic oil, it is too pricey to deep fry with so I have been usng it for sauteing mostly but it seems to start smoking faster than other oils on high heats. I find it too bland for dressings. Unless the price comes down I don't think it will find a place on my shelves....

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"