• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Orleans & Baton Rouge Restaurants bought illegal fish

FistFullaRoux

Names of people arrested in the sting fro New Orleans area (bottom of page)

Seems to mostly be Vietnamese business people. It's stuff like this that can get ugly real quick around there.

Between Chinese crawfish and the illegal seafood, legitimate businesses are feeling the squeeze.

Edited by FistFullaRoux (log)
Screw it. It's a Butterball.

I used to buy fish at Christina's all the time when they were still on Oak St (conveniently located next to the Maple Leaf Bar, a favorite dive). The old building is now part of Jacques Imo's and they have moved over to Carrollton Ave.

The fish was always VERY FRESH :laugh:

Now I know why. :shock:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Didn't the undercover state wildlife agents have to buy the fish illegally themselves before they could sell it?

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Didn't the undercover state wildlife agents have to buy the fish illegally themselves before they could sell it?

No. It is probably illegal all the way down the chain. Likely as not it was confiscated from illegal fishing to begin with.

In Louisiana, the Wildlife guys have a list of charities that they normally donate this stuff to (game and fish both) so I guess they just used some of that.

Incidentally, if you read my bio you will see that at one point in my storied life I was a seafood buyer for a very large (the largest at that point) place in BR. You would not believe how many people tried to sell us fish out of the back of their trucks (divers mostly, vending Lemon Fish (ling, cobia) and other hard to buy commercially fish. I never did it however, as there was no real reason too and the Wildlife guys would regularly check our stock.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

My high school boyfriend was an avid fisherman and hunter in Plaqumines Parish. I often went with him. Dang, he dumped me too. But then I would be barefoot and pregnant alot.....nah....no good trade.

Oh, to have red fish, and duck again.....