• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite "Bark" Recipes?

tammylc

I found a recipe online called 'Three Chocolate Bark with Spiced Pecans and Dried Cherries' by Emeril Lagasse which sounds good. Also a very fruit laden bark in a local chain grocery store handout. The photo entices. And the 'Aztec Chocolate Bark' also online in 'Simply Recipes'. I've only made very plain barks in the past.

I've been doing a simple bark of just toasted pecans and dried cherries in dark chocolate, and it's delicious. The spiced pecan thing would certainly be fancier though...

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Sounds delicious.

I could have made one with candied orange peel if our female Spoiled Rotten-weiler hadn't eaten most of the peels as they sat drying. Who knew a dog would eat orange peels? :raz:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 1 year later...

Hi again, I am working a farmer's market and chocolate bark sells well for this venue. It's easy to carry and prepackages well for the outside market. I'd like to be more creative with my bark receipes instead of nuts and more nuts. Also, several customers can't eat coconut - which eliminates this as an ingredient for almond coconut bark. Anyone have an especially creative combination for bark receipes? Thanks!

I like cacao nibs sprinkled into chocolate (like the Scharffenberger "Nibby" bar). Flaked sea salt is good, esp in combination with nuts. How about less-commonly-used nuts, like sunflower seeds or toasted sesame? Chopped or whole dried apricots, strips of candied orange peel, (foodsafe) dried rose petals, pink peppercorns, salted pretzels, popcorn (surprisingly good), or broken-up gingersnaps or graham crackers?

A little shop here sells barks that include various crunchy cereals that contain all kinds of nuts, dried fruits and etc.

There is a coconut-free "gorp" that I have seen sold in bulk at the various stores that sell bulk foods. I know a lot of people who combine it with boiled honey to make their own bars - no reason it shouldn't combine with chocolate.

One of the most popular items in the local candy store is a white chocolate marbled with raspberry that is offered with pistachios or almonds, filberts, pecans or walnuts. There are a couple more varieties but I don't remember what they are right now.

The pictures on this site should give you some good ideas.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Candied lime peel, macadamia nut and chili flakes...I make a truffle with those flavors that's quite popular. Fleur de sel and cocoa nib is pretty tasty...I also do a s'mores bark with mini marshmallows and caramelized graham cracker pieces on top that kids really get a kick out of. I'm sure any of us would be more than willing to taste and give you feedback :wink: ...

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

I have the cocoa nibs but have not worked with the coffee beans. How do you do this and what portions of each do you use for say a pound of chocolate? Do you use a bittersweet or semisweet chocolate?

The raspberry sounds good too...where do you purchase freeze dried fruit that's recommended.

We use little toffee bits and chopped roasted almonds in milk chocolate for one of our barks. We swirl milk and dark chocolate together with chopped pretzel pieces and finel chopped almonds in another. Occasionally we use chopped candied orange peel in very dark chocolate.

If you build it on transfer paper, you get a really nice effect.

Bits of leftover chocolate the other night - to the dark I added some Canadian Maple flavour for chocolate and some large maple crystal chunks. To the milk some bitter orange oil and some bits of candied orange peel.

Last week - freeze dried pear bits and some of Andie's candied ginger bits.

• 2 years later...

I made chocolate bark for the first time this weekend with my daughter. Dark chocolate with dried apricots + cocoa nibs (front), and milk chocolate with marshmallows + rice crispies in the back. That second batch has sprinkles too but I made the mistake of adding them to the mix rather than sprinkling them on top, therefore they are not really noticeable. You can tell I am a complete novice at this. At least I am practicing my tempering technique and I am sure that they will taste decent... :smile:

For the chocolate I am using the "Pound Plus" Belgian chocolate bars from Trader Joe's. The IR thermometer that I bought from Kerry was very handy. These will be party favors for my daughter's birthday this weekend.

8756241208_9c9a2a1623_z.jpg

I am looking for a third flavor. I know that at least one of the kids is allergic to nuts so I am avoiding them. I was thinking of a white chocolate base with maybe shredded coconut and...? I thought about candied ginger or candied lime zest but that may be too intense for the kids. I need something with texture.

A couple of related questions - what is a typical thickness for the bark? In France less than 1/5 inch (1/2 cm) seems to be desirable for "mendiants" but I've seen thicker barks in the US. Mine is thicker because I poured too much on the sheet pan and I feel it's a bit too thick.

What's your favorite spatula for spreading the chocolate? I used a small offset spatula (4 in) and thought that a larger one would have been easier to use. Thanks!

Very nice!

I'm a fan of bark as thin as possible. I use a small offset to spread, dragging the inclusions as far apart as I can.

In terms of additions - kids seem to love poprocks in their bark (as do adults). In white chocolate I've added dried cherries and toasted almonds (oops I see you want to avoid nuts), also toasted coconut and lemongrass essential oil. Not in white - but pretzels, caramel bits and peanuts (again the nuts).

photo.jpg

Here's the kind of bark you make when you are too lazy to dip the rest of the centers you have in front of you and you need to leave for work in 10 minutes - "chocolate" bark!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a few things I've mixed into my barks:

Milk, dark, or white chocolate with -

pretzel pieces

chopped oreos or other cookies

crisp rice cereal

toffee pieces

dried fruits

marshmallows

a few more (with nuts!) -

pistachios and dried cranberries with white chocolate

peanuts and marshmallow with milk chocolate

peanuts and raisins with dark chocolate

dried bluberries and roasted almonds with dark chocolate

dried cherries and pecans with milk or dark chocolate

best of luck to you!

Ruth

• 4 months later...

Ooh, bacon bark. I've gotta make some now! What chocolate do you use? I'm thinking maple bacon in dark chocolate would be really good.

I've never made bark. For my first I'm planning a layer of dark under a peppermint layer. Thinking white chocolate with peppermint oil, and then crushed peppermint candies.

I do a 60/40 milk/dark blend. I also used an alder smoked sea salt that boosted the smoky flavor. I tried both dark and milk solo at first, but Kerry tuned me into the milk dark blend.

Bark is one of the more simple chocolate things to make.

And your peppermint bark plans sounds good, let us know how it turns out!

• Like 1

I have the cocoa nibs but have not worked with the coffee beans. How do you do this and what portions of each do you use for say a pound of chocolate? Do you use a bittersweet or semisweet chocolate?

The raspberry sounds good too...where do you purchase freeze dried fruit that's recommended.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier!

For each pound of chocolate, I use about 2 oz each of finely chopped roasted nibs and coffee beans (the beans I get are generally medium roast, so I toast them together with the nibs in my cast iron frypan). I generally put this into a 75% bittersweet; lately I'm inclining towards Kallari's wildcrafted gran-cru, but I've also had very favourable results using Bios 80 and adding a pinch of pink rock salt from Loja.....

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)