• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tamales in NYC

Liz Johnson

As a former Texan living in the NYC suburbs, I'm longing to have tamales on Christmas day. In years past, relatives visiting from Texas have brought a few dozen in a cooler on the plane, but this year we'll have no such luck.

Can anyone recommend anywhere in the metro area where I can order some? I am willing to drive about an hour (I live in Nyack). I know of some places here in Rockland, but I've eaten the tamales and, frankly, they're not very good.

Otherwise, recs for mail order will be cheerfully accepted.

Hopefully,

Liz

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Food Editor, The Journal News and LoHud.com

Westchester, Rockland and Putnam: The Lower Hudson Valley.

Small Bites, a LoHud culinary blog

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

I mail ordered from the Dallas Tortilla Factory, but that doesn't mean I'm not still interested in hearing about a good tamal here in NYC.

Any suggestions? Now I can just go to the restaurant/deli/bodega and eat there....

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

Rico's Tamales Oaxaqueños

Fifth Avenue and 46th Street, southeast corner, Brooklyn. They don't have a phone. Truly awesome tamales. It's all they do.

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

I quite like them. They're not as good as homemade, but.... what is? I've never had them delivered before, but they told me they flash-freeze them just after they're made. They get shipped Fed-Ex with ice packs. We'll see. Delivery is coming Tuesday.

Edited by Liz Johnson (log)

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

Rico's Tamales Oaxaqueños

Fifth Avenue and 46th Street, southeast corner, Brooklyn. They don't have a phone. Truly awesome tamales. It's all they do.

I'm there. Can't wait. Thanks.

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

El Paso on Palisade Ave in Englewood, NJ. About 40 minutes tops from your location. Its across the street from McDonalds and on the same block as Saigon Republic.

He makes them in several flavors but you'd better make sure you get there by early afternoon at latest because they sell fast.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 4 weeks later...

So Liz, did you get your Christmas tamales? As a genuine "former Texan" I'm curious about your opinion of our local tamaleria. (is that a word?) Also, despite Jason's advice to arrive early, I'm sure if you called ahead to order them, they'd make you a special order. I really like their chicken mole and green chile and cheese tamales.

Everyone adored the tamales from Dallas Tortilla Factory. They do indeed ship them frozen, and you defrost and then steam to reheat. Moist and flavorful — especially the pork with jalapeno. We still have a few dozen in the freezer. mmmmmmmm.

Rachel, I haven't had a chance to try the tamalerias (if it's not a word, it should be) around here yet because the holidays kept me very busy. But hopefully soon — Englewood isn't far at all. I'll report back once I've been!

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

Too late for Christmas, I'm afraid, but there's a good source for tamales in upper Manhattan, not too far from you in Nyack.

It's La Raza, a "Productos Mexicanos" fruit and vegetable store on the south side of 207th Street, between Broadway and Cooper.

On weekends, they offer tamales and soft tacos. We had some just this past weekend and my friend in from New mexico pronounced them "excellent." They had cheese, chicken, and pork varieties. Best of all, they're just $1 apiece!

This isn't exactly what you asked for, but tamales are so easy to make, you can just do it yourself. Better yet, do it they way my wife's family does and have a tamale making party where everyone get's plenty to eat and to take home and freeze. Masa and corn husks should be fairly easy to find, and as for the fillings let your mind go wild.

Bryan C. Andregg

"Give us an old, black man singing the blues and some beer. I'll provide the BBQ."