• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

LA Farmer's Market, Fairfax & 3rd

I pulled out an old map of the Farmer's Markey from about 25 years ago and was struck at how much turn-over there has been. The old fruit stands Kludjian and Meshulam's are gone. The ubiquitous DuPars is still hanging around as is Marconda's Meat.

Any recommendations? Are DuPars pies still worth getting as a take-back East treat?

BOB'S DOUGHNUTS!!!!!

littlejohn's: the candy maker in the center, killer toffee.

gumbo pot.

the little ice cream place around the corner. get their lime-ade with carbonated water.

the pork butcher right across the alley.

as you can see, i once spent way too much time at the farmers market, but it was too long ago. it really is one of los angeles' treasures.

Edited by russ parsons (log)

Loteria Grill!

Is this the Brazilian place? If so, I agree. :biggrin:

The poultry butcher in the middle is excellent. Also, I think the french grocery and restaurant, Monsiuer Marcel, is a vast improvement over the little grocery that used to be there.

I love the Farmer's Martket! The contrast with the Grove is so interesting--you can identify the Market regulars that have wandered out into the Grove my mistake by their totally confused expressions!

Loteria Grill!

Is this the Brazilian place? If so, I agree. :biggrin:

I love the Farmer's Martket! The contrast with the Grove is so interesting--you can identify the Market regulars that have wandered out into the Grove my mistake by their totally confused expressions!

I think the Brazilian place is Pampas Grill.

Sorry to confess my lack of LA lore, but what's the Grove?

The Grove (remember, we used to have lots of orange groves all over this town) is a new commercial development immediately adjacent to the Farmer's Market which took over a lot of FM's parking lot space so it could install Nordstroms, Wood Ranch, FAO Schwartz, Gap, etc. It's the brainchild of Police Commissioner/developer Rick Caruso. Basically, it's the source of lots of gridlock and may eventually squeeze out the FM.

Loteria Grill is a Mexican place. Good tacos, frescas, etc.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

The Grove (remember, we used to have lots of orange groves all over this town) is a new commercial development immediately adjacent to the Farmer's Market which took over a lot of FM's parking lot space so it could install Nordstroms, Wood Ranch, FAO Schwartz, Gap, etc. It's the brainchild of Police Commissioner/developer Rick Caruso. Basically, it's the source of lots of gridlock and may eventually squeeze out the FM.

Loteria Grill is a Mexican place. Good tacos, frescas, etc.

Thanks! Pamaps Grill is really delicious! I will try Loteria next time I am there.

The only good thing about the Grove is the Sur La Table.

I think when they were first planning it, there was talk of taking over the Farmer's Market from the get go, but there was so much public outcry they backed off.

Hooray!

It's so sad to see the Farmer's Market engulfed by the Grove thingy behind it. At least the Gilmore Adobe is still standing (the oldest house in L.A., house of Earl Gilmore, founder of the Farmer's Market).

That said, i do like the new theater and the trolley that takes you only a couple of hundred feet, if that, at a pace you could probably beat, if you're not disadvantaged by crutches or high heels. I also like the fact that the new parking structure has lots more parking than the old, constantly full Farmer's Market parking lot ever did.

The Farmer's Market is such a great place. I like getting crepes at the French Crepe Company. I like the little candy shop that makes fudge before your very eyes. I like how the celebrity pictures that cover the walls of that one deli (Phil's?) are comfortingly tacky. I like that cajun place, the Gumbo Pot, for their blackened catfish sandwiches and beignets. I've never been to New Orleans, so I'm sure there are better places there. I was very impressed when i saw this one lady give they Gumbo Pot guy a big wad of cash for her sandwich. I turned to look at her. It was Jeanetta Arnette (the mom) from Boys Don't Cry. I know I'm a rube, because I was really impressed.

The main charm of the Farmer's Market is something you won't be able to take back on the plane with you: that old time Hollywood nostalgia. Maybe you can get that in a Dupar's pie. Maybe not.

I remember going to the Farmer's Market, on a field trip to Los Angeles. That was 20 years ago. I remember getting some chocolate covered cherries at the Farmer's Market that were, in my unshaped, juvenile mind, the best chocolate covered cherries in the world.

I will miss the Farmer's Market if it ever folds.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

I spent the summer in LA and my hands-down favorite place to eat was the farmer's market.

Loteria takes the prize: it was my first real exposure to genuine Mexican food. If you check out Bon Apetit magazine this month, they list the Top 5 Meals of the year and Loteria is one of them for its meat tacos. It's been a while, but I still lovingly recall the plaintains, the chicken mole, and the ceviche. The owner is a really cool guy: I think he went to Wharton business school and instead of starting a huge business like the rest of his family, he opened a little taco place in the farmer's market.

Otherwise, two big recommendations:

1) The Gumbo place. I'm not sure if it's authentic or if it's objectively praiseworthy, but I think the shrimp po'boy sandwich is one of the best I ever had. They even place ultra-thin lemon slices on the bun. The gumbo itself is wonderful as is the cornbread. Top it off with a mint iced tea and you're set.

2) One of the pastry shops (I forget which) had the Raspbery Princess Bar. This was a distant cousin of the lemon square, but far far better. An almond base, a tart raspberry filling, makes me want to hop on a plane right now for a bite.

Actually, if I give you my address, can you send me one? Please?

The Amateur Gourmet

www.amateurgourmet.com

1) The Gumbo place. I'm not sure if it's authentic or if it's objectively praiseworthy,

It's not. It's really not. I've fallen victim to the Gumbo Pot twice now, and while I am sure it is a fine sandwich on its own, it's a disappointment as a Po Boy. I try to forget that I ever had what they pass off as beignets.

Loteria takes the prize: it was my first real exposure to genuine Mexican food. If you check out Bon Apetit magazine this month, they list the Top 5 Meals of the year and Loteria is one of them for its meat tacos. thin lemon slices on the bun. The gumbo itself is wonderful as is the cornbread. Top it off with a mint iced tea and you're set.

Loteria also gets a shout out in the cheap eats section of this month's Los Angeles magazine.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

1)  The Gumbo place.  I'm not sure if it's authentic or if it's objectively praiseworthy,

It's not. It's really not. I've fallen victim to the Gumbo Pot twice now, and while I am sure it is a fine sandwich on its own, it's a disappointment as a Po Boy. I try to forget that I ever had what they pass off as beignets.

I agree, I was not to impressed with it..I much prefer the Ragin Cajun in Hermosa Beach...There is also a new place in Gardena I am going to try called the DUTC grill.....

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

Quick report on the Market. Was in a particularly carnivorous mood so I tried Las Pampas. Very good meat and veggies. I was particularly impressed with the plaintains which unlike some other churrascerias I have been too had not gotten dried out in the steam-bath. I had the sirloin and the lamb both of which were tasty. The feijoada was not that exciting, but as a side dish it was acceptable. One complaint I have is that since it is paper plates and plastic knives it would be better if they sliced their meat really thin. Carving a thick piece of lamb or beef with a plastic knife is no fun. If you can't get them to slice it thinner, better bring your Swiss army knife.

Unfortunately I was too full to try Loteria and DuPars.

Las Pampas is much better, though a bit more expensive, than the Mid-West Grill in Cambridge, MA which I sometimes try. On the other hand the general side dish buffet at both places is inferior to the Brazilian ghetto establishment, Cabana Carioca, in the mid West 40s in Manhattan.