• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Berliner mit weissing?

peanutgirl

I probably have the name wrong, but hey, it was a long time ago! I was an exchange student in Hannover Germany once upon a time ago back in the early 80's. We took a side trip to West Berlin and stayed in a youth hostel for a week and also some bar nearby within stumbling distance, whose name escapes me now, for obvious reasons.

I enjoyed a drink I was told was unique to Berlin. It was a beer of some sort, mixed with a raspberry (I think) syrup. It was kind of frothy and pink in color. Has anyone ever had, or heard, or knows how to make such a thing? I'd like to recreate the taste if I can, if only for nostalgia's sake.

I probably have the name wrong

You do, but you might have had a few too many Berliner Weisse's to remember exactly what happened after they added all that syrup to your Wheat Beer. Typically the syrup is composed of Woodruff or Rasberry flavoring. The woodruff is quite delicious, but the raspberry taste is a bit sweet for my taste.

Hope this jogs your memory :wacko:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...