• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The NYC Saturday Lunch Problem

Fat Guy

Right. But if he feels more comfortable that way, why not? I guess that's where I come down.

The last time I dressed up in a suit and tie for a meal was lunch at Bouley. I probably didn't have to wear one, but thought it would be appropriate dress for a supposedly (should I say ostensibly?) 4-star restaurant. One thing, though: In some restaurant dining rooms, if I don't wear a jacket, I feel cold.

Michael aka "Pan"

Right. But if he feels more comfortable that way, why not? I guess that's where I come down.

i don't think anyone is suggesting otherwise. my comments were made in the context of this thread, and robyn's earlier comment about how one would have to wear a "suit and tie" to the restaurants listed by fat guy (i think it was fat guy).

Edited by tommy (log)

A restaurant has the right to set a dress code, and if that dress code permits certain dress then dressing that way is by definition never inappropriate. I'd be happy to discuss these and other larger issue of dress codes on another thread. Not here.

However as a factual matter I know of no restaurant in New York City that requires a necktie for men at any meal service no less Saturday lunch, and very few require jackets. Union Square Cafe and Picholine, I am quite sure, require neither. Nor am I aware of such a requirement at any open-for-Saturday-lunch restaurant mentioned on this thread.

By the way we did go to Union Square Cafe and the meal was quite good; I'll post about that elsewhere.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

My husband is an old-fashioned WASP.  If 25% of the guys in a restaurant are wearing a jacket and tie - he'll feel uncomfortable without one.  Robyn

good for him. i don't. and 75% of others at the above mentioned restaurants probably don't

is there a point at which you'll accept that perhaps you're possibly wrong?

It's not a right or wrong - especially for me. It's my husband. And if he feels comfortable in a suit and tie (he happens to look handsome all dressed up) - I'm not going to complain. His attitude is wearing a coat and tie means never having to say you're sorry.

The one time we ever tried to go to Bouley (we dropped in for lunch during some sightseeing) we couldn't get in because I was wearing sneakers (I don't live in New York - and tend to do miles of walking when I'm there - so I wear sneakers). Other stuff was ok - but they didn't allow sneakers. I found it peculiar - because who the heck was going to see my feet when I was sitting down. Jeans were ok - tshirts were ok - but sneakers were not. I actually thought it was kind of a racist thing - because the only other rule was you couldn't wear caps (particularly backwards). Now I doubt those rules were aimed at middle aged Jewish women like me wearing their New Balance walking shoes. What they didn't want was "rapper types" with their untied Nikes (but they had to enforce "the law" equally). (And we in fact have rules at a local mall that prohibit wearing caps backwards - it's considered a "gang thing").

Anyway - the next day we had lunch at Le Cirque 2000. We most definitely did not feel overdressed wearing stuff we would usually wear at dinner. Robyn

The most unusual dress-code issue we ever faced was at Churrascaria Plataforma. Not a place I'd ever have pegged as having a dress code. The crew we were with had a couple of people in it who were wearing shorts. We were turned away. Not much of a problem when choosing a Saturday lunch destination in December, though.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

By the way we did go to Union Square Cafe and the meal was quite good; I'll post about that elsewhere.

I guess you are feeling better. :smile:

I, for one, would be interested in that jacket thread...

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

I, for one, would be interested in that jacket thread...

there have been several, um, "spirited" discussions on this in the past. i dare not dig them up. :biggrin:

Wise move, tommy. :laugh::laugh:

Wait, doesn't a thread on your jacket mean you're going to get a letter?

there have been several, um, "spirited" discussions on this in the past.  i dare not dig them up.  :biggrin:

I bet! OK, fine, I'll dig them up myself but keep what I find quiet :smile:

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

What is the logic behind so many high-end restaurants not serving lunch on Saturdays? I understand that a lot of their lunch business during the week is the power lunch, expense account crowd. But couldn't they fill the room for lunch on Saturday with special-event lunchers -- people there for birthdays, etc who don't want to go for dinner and spend a ton? Or are these the people who don't make the place any money -- people, like me, who only lay out money for the pre fixe with no supplements and a glass of wine?

I would think these restaurants would still make money filling the room with the latter customers, unless high-ends lose money all the time on lunch and I'm not aware...

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

What is the logic behind so many high-end restaurants not serving lunch on Saturdays?...

Part of it has to do with the work week of the staff. It is aparently easier to assemble a staff that works 5 - 5 1/2 days a week instead of 6. There are a lot of fine restaurants (mostly in Europe) that are only open Monday through Friday. Robyn

The most unusual dress-code issue we ever faced was at Churrascaria Plataforma. Not a place I'd ever have pegged as having a dress code. The crew we were with had a couple of people in it who were wearing shorts. We were turned away. Not much of a problem when choosing a Saturday lunch destination in December, though.

Shorts are sometimes acceptable on women - but not men. One day I ran into Chinois on Main to see if they could take a party of 3 for lunch without reservations. I was wearing shorts. They said - "no problem". I waved to my husband and his friend in the car. They parked and came in - wearing shorts. And were told shorts weren't ok for men. But the staff was in a bind - since they had told me (and I was in shorts) - that there was no problem.

Which is how my husband and his friend wound up eating a really good meal at Chinois on Main in kitchen pants (they would have walked out - but they knew I really wanted to eat there). The staff treated our strange little group with much good cheer - and some nice not on the menu courses - to compensate for the men's inconvenience. My only regret is I wasn't carrying a camera with me. Robyn

However as a factual matter I know of no restaurant in New York City that requires a necktie for men at any meal service no less Saturday lunch, and very few require jackets. Union Square Cafe and Picholine, I am quite sure, require neither.

I'm fairly certain Picholine requires jackets but not ties for dinner only.

Shorts are sometimes acceptable on women - but not men.

That's very odd, isn't it? But you know what's odder? I know women who were allowed into St. Peter's - yes that St. Peter's - wearing shorts, while their shorts-wearing male companions were made to wait outside.

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

However as a factual matter I know of no restaurant in New York City that requires a necktie for men at any meal service no less Saturday lunch, and very few require jackets. Union Square Cafe and Picholine, I am quite sure, require neither.

I'm fairly certain Picholine requires jackets but not ties for dinner only.

I once went to Picholine wearing a tie and no pants and was offered a free cheese course. :biggrin:

Edited by Felonius (log)

There was a piece in the newspaper a few months ago about some woman wearing shorts (think: hot pants) to The Four Seasons. :shock: Apparently some celeb-of-the-moment, or at least someone with lots of money.

Hey, better to do it where the chairs are nicely upholstered, than someplace with pleather. Ouch.

I once went to Picholine wearing a tie and no pants and was offered a free cheese course. :biggrin:

I didn't think there were any restaurants where pants were optional. :raz:

Michael aka "Pan"