• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Andouille Sausages

Bond Girl

Edited to say - Never mind. I just read your food blog. You sure you have enough?

:biggrin: Well, I certainly hope so. All in all, it's about a 5 gallon batch.

But yes, normally for us it's a 'what do I do with these leftovers?' type of dish.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

It's great with steamed clams or mussels. White wine, garlic, shallots and andouille in a pan and steam the clams or mussels until they open. Make sure you have a lot of bread for dipping. :smile:

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

Excellent basic "technique," fifi. I'm not sure you've got enough liquid, though.

In addition to the little that is contributed by the meat and veggies, you're going to need a cup-and-a-half or so of liquid to cook the rice properly. I'm a tomato guy, so I use a 14-ounce can of chopped tomatoes, juice and all, and that takes care of it. But if you don't use tomatoes, or you prefer to drain them, I think you need another half cup or so of stock, water or dry white wine.

That's been my experience, anyway.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Yeah... I wondered about that. Reviewing all of the recipes in my collection, they all call for the 1:1 volume ratio for the rice to the liquid, tomatoes or not. I haven't made jambalaya in a while, but I may have been known to dump in a little more chicken stock until it "looks right". I do a lot of cooking by look and feel so it is sort of hard to distill that down to a recipe. That is why I went to the books. Of course, they could all be wrong. That has been known to happen in this type of cookery.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Bond Girl...

Don't let the exchange between Dave and I intimidate you. Jambalaya is not a big mystery. It is basically cooking rice with a lot of yummy additions. If the first one isn't something that would win a cooking contest, don't worry about it. It will still be delicious. Give it a go.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Edited to say - Never mind. I just read your food blog. You sure you have enough?

:biggrin: Well, I certainly hope so. All in all, it's about a 5 gallon batch.

But yes, normally for us it's a 'what do I do with these leftovers?' type of dish.

=R=

Regarding the leftovers, email me for my address....

OK, just kidding. Where did you order the andouille and tasso from?

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Regarding the leftovers, email me for my address....

OK, just kidding. Where did you order the andouille and tasso from?

I got both items at a small, local grocery chain here in Chicago called Treasure Island.

The tasso and some of the andouille were made by French Market Foods in Lake Charles, LA and the rest of the andouille was made by Thibodeaux's Cajun Foods in Opelousas, LA.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Fifi, thanks for the recipe and the encouragement. I am going trying a basic version with just shrimps tomorrow when I have more time. By the way, do you guys typically just use Cayenne in cajun cooking ? Or do you go with a mixture of different chilis just to get it into a more interesting flavor?

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

Fifi, thanks for the recipe and the encouragement. I am going trying a basic version with just shrimps tomorrow when I have more time. By the way, do you guys typically just use Cayenne in cajun cooking ? Or do you go with a mixture of different chilis just to get it into a more interesting flavor?
Not usually chilis involved with it. At least not the homestyle version. Salt and ground cayenne. I don't think my mom even uses black pepper. Ever. I, of course, do.

The occasional jalapeno is not unheard of, but I think a milder chili would lend itself nicely. I'm thinking substitute a bell pepper with maybe half of an anaheim, depending on how you like your heat. A little chipotle could work, the smoky flavor would go well with the shrimp. You want to stay away from the mega peppers (anything hotter than a jalapeno, basically). The technique spreads the base flavors into every grain of rice. If every grain of rice is hot, then there is no respite, and it can get very very intense. Voice of experience. Make it even a little milder than you think it should be. The heat will build with each bite, and you want to be able to taste it.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

I just had to make jambalaya tonight. Ronnie Suburban's food blog got to me.

The only andouille I could find at my local grocery was Aidell's. I was dubious. It is made in California for chrissakes. That and a little package of flash frozen shrimp (the best to get if you don't meet the boat) and I was off. Actually, the Aidell's wasn't half bad. It had just the right level of seasoning and smokiness. It was the perfect counterpoint to the shrimp so I would suggest using that combination. I had about 22 ounces of meat total and used the quantities I gave above. I decided not to do the tomato thing this time.

One warning... Use a heavy pot. I used one of my Le Creuset and still had a little crusting of the rice on the bottom. (Not an altogether bad thing. I have been known to complain about that then scrape it off and hoard it for myself.) But then, I will never get used to this electric stove.

Let us know how it goes, Bond Girl. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

I think I am going to try my hand at a Jamalaya.  Do any one of you have a basic recipe? How much sausage to rice ratio? And do you have to chop them or you can juts slice them?  And, what else is in there besides red beans, rice, tomatos, celery, onions and garlic?  Do you put cayenne or roast chili pepper?  And, are there any cajun seasoning required?

Here is a basic recipe - not guaranteed authentic - but not copyrighted either. Off the back of a pack of sausages. It's good - and when I play with it - it gets better :smile:

6 sausage links - sliced into bite sized pieces. Brown in stockpot or Dutch oven - remove and reserve drippings.

2 boneless chicken breasts (about 12 oz.) - washed and dried and cut into 1/2" cubes - brown in sausage drippings - adding a little peanut oil if necessary. Remove.

Saute 1 medium diced onion, 2 diced celery stalks, 2 minced garlic cloves and 1 diced bell pepper in the drippings until cooked through.

Add sausage and chicken to the pot. Add 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce and 1 28 ounce can or box of diced peeled tomatoes (I use the box - Pomi brand).

Add 1 tsp. file powder - and 1 tbsp. cajun spice blend (I use Emeril's Baby Bam - long story why). Simmer over low heat for about an hour. Then add hot sauce to taste. Serve over steamed rice.

I think I am going to try my hand at a Jamalaya. Do any one of you have a basic recipe? How much sausage to rice ratio? And do you have to chop them or you can juts slice them? And, what else is in there besides red beans, rice, tomatos, celery, onions and garlic? Do you put cayenne or roast chili pepper? And, are there any cajun seasoning required?

P.S. Forgot my handwritten notes on the back of the card. Add some white wine of your liking to the pot before you simmer. And thin the sauce out with chicken broth to taste.

Hmmm... that sounds more like some kin folk to sauce piquante. Very good stuff. The essence of jambalaya is the rice being cooked with the ingredients. The worchestershire is also another tip off. BTW... The combination of worchestershire and tomato is what I believe is at the root of Brennan's turtle soup deliciousness. Brennan's turlte soup is one of the most delicious and haunting foods on the planet. Bond Girl... Try this one.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

I'm with fifi. Your recipe sounds great, Robyn, but it's not really jambalaya . . .

. . . unlike what I, too, had for dinner. Plans for pizza fell through, and I found myself with a link of Italian sausage, an equal amount of smoked pork sausage and a couple of boneless chicken breasts. What the hell, I thought. Maybe it's meant to be. The chicken would have to stand in for the shrimp.

I did go the tomato route, and like Robyn, I used a little Sauvignon Blanc that Mrs. Dave didn't find to her liking (the source of much of my cooking wine). This deglazed the pan after browning the sausage and chicken. I retained some of the juice from the tomatoes, and about two cups of stock for a cup and a half of raw rice (for the record, it came out just a bit soupy, so fifi had it right, I think). I compensated for the lack of true andouille by adding more cayenne than usual, and some thyme and black pepper -- like FFR, I'm not sure there's any such thing as too much black pepper. To me, it gives the cayenne screech a nice corresponding bass note.

It was really good. It confirmed that with a little flexibility, lots of things qualify as jambalaya. But it also confirmed for me that the best combination remains shrimp and andouille.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Dave, you are reminding me of a jambalaya that I made one time the day after a party. There was some leftover white wine hanging around. There were also some cocktail sausages that were pretty good, close to andouille in seasoning. Adding the leftover boiled shrimp didn't hurt either. Anyway, I used the leftover white wine for just about most of the liquid. That was a kickass jambalaya. We ate it for breakfast. :laugh:

Keep in mind that the origins of jambalaya are to stretch ingredients, maybe leftovers, to make a meal.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

I used a combination of crushed tomatoes and worcester sauce in my Gumbo recently. Actually this Jambalaya recipe seemed like what I would do for a Gumbo wiithout the dark roux, and instead of the chicken, I put in seafoods like shrimps and oysters.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

Yeah, Bond Girl, you are right. There are several themes that run through Cajun cooking. One of them is the use of "The Trinity", the combination of onion, celery, and bell pepper. Roux shows up in different guises but not in jambalaya. The use of cayenne and salt as opposed to black pepper and salt is also characteristic. Although, contemprary cooks are adding black and white pepper to the mix. Cajun cooking is fun because it so lends itself to improvisation and it seems to always come out delicious.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

I think I am going to try my hand at a Jamalaya.  Do any one of you have a basic recipe?

Check the recipes at these sites:

www.gumbopages.com

www.jfolse.com

Also good for mail order sources if certain products are not readily available in your area.

from Dave the Cook:

"Most people I know don't have enough cream gravy in their lives"

amen to that brother dave!! for the health conscious, read no further but cream gravy has to be one of the best-tasting-worst-thing-for-you's that's ever been slathered over a freshly baked biscuit. it's definitely in keeping with the au courrant "deep fried fat ball with a side of mayo" mentality which exists in this crimson-necked area of the south. one thing though; my memory of andouille sausages renders a reddish-tinged oil (not as red as chorizo but more than neese's) and that would seem to make for some pretty psychodelic "white" cream gravy...sort of a fluorescent peach color.

how much flour to how much andouille oil for the roux? and then, warmed heavy cream?

got a fresh batch of fluffy, flaky, biscuits coming out any minute now--just crying, pleading, moaning for a fat pat of unsalted and a coverlet of cream.

-b.g. gloot

Ecce homo qui est farba

I'm with fifi. Your recipe sounds great, Robyn, but it's not really jambalaya . . .

. . . unlike what I, too, had for dinner. Plans for pizza fell through, and I found myself with a link of Italian sausage, an equal amount of smoked pork sausage and a couple of boneless chicken breasts. What the hell, I thought. Maybe it's meant to be. The chicken would have to stand in for the shrimp.

I did go the tomato route, and like Robyn, I used a little Sauvignon Blanc that Mrs. Dave didn't find to her liking (the source of much of my cooking wine). This deglazed the pan after browning the sausage and chicken. I retained some of the juice from the tomatoes, and about two cups of stock for a cup and a half of raw rice (for the record, it came out just a bit soupy, so fifi had it right, I think). I compensated for the lack of true andouille by adding more cayenne than usual, and some thyme and black pepper -- like FFR, I'm not sure there's any such thing as too much black pepper.  To me, it gives the cayenne screech a nice corresponding bass note.

It was really good. It confirmed that with a little flexibility, lots of things qualify as jambalaya. But it also confirmed for me that the best combination remains shrimp and andouille.

I spent almost my whole adult life in Miami - what do I know :smile: .

A question. My husband and I usually cook for just the two of us. So we like to make pots of stuff that we can eat at multiple meals (like tonight we're having white chili we made a couple of days ago - a big pot will be about 3 meals for us). If you put the rice in the pot in something like my recipe - does it reheat ok?

By the way - commercial plug (for no particular reason other than I like it) - the sausage I use is andouille sausages by Amy. They're chicken sausages - relatively low fat - relatively low salt - nice spicing (in other words - it's something I can use for everyday cooking without killing my husband - he has high blood pressure - and I'd hate to undo the effect of the drugs he has to take with my cooking). Robyn

I did go the tomato route, and like Robyn, I used a little Sauvignon Blanc that Mrs. Dave didn't find to her liking (the source of much of my cooking wine). This deglazed the pan after browning the sausage and chicken. I retained some of the juice from the tomatoes, and about two cups of stock for a cup and a half of raw rice (for the record, it came out just a bit soupy, so fifi had it right, I think). I compensated for the lack of true andouille by adding more cayenne than usual, and some thyme and black pepper -- like FFR, I'm not sure there's any such thing as too much black pepper. To me, it gives the cayenne screech a nice corresponding bass note.

P.S. I'm not sure anyone has yet mentioned using the sausage in a low country boil (the southern equivalent of a New England boiled dinner - but - in my opinion - better). Easiest thing in the world. Bring 3 quarts of water to boil in big pot. Add bag of shrimp/crab boil. Add 1 pound sliced sausage - cook 5 minutes. Add 6 ears corn - I cut them in half - frozen is ok - cook 5 minutes. Add 2 pounds unpeeled shhrimp. Cook 3 minutes or until shrimp are done. Discard seasoning bag. Simple as anything - and quick too. Robyn