• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas Dinner Menu Planning: The Topic

ledervin

If duck and goose are too exotic, you've got a problem. :biggrin:

Anyway, consider a standing rib roast of beef or bison accompanied with traditional Yorkshire pudding, green beans (casserole  :hmmm:  or with onion confit and mushrooms), and glazed carrots.

Or roast capon with wild rice and sweet potato puree

For dessert, do a yule log (buche de noel)---always a crowd pleaser (who doesn't like chocolate cake?) and much easier than it looks.

I edited my post to include a clause about cost. :biggrin: I have been dreaming of making a rib roast with yorkshire pudding, but I am trying to keep costs down. Oh how I love yorkshire pudding!

If duck and goose are too exotic, you've got a problem. :biggrin:

Anyway, consider a standing rib roast of beef or bison accompanied with traditional Yorkshire pudding, green beans (casserole  :hmmm:  or with onion confit and mushrooms), and glazed carrots.

Or roast capon with wild rice and sweet potato puree

For dessert, do a yule log (buche de noel)---always a crowd pleaser (who doesn't like chocolate cake?) and much easier than it looks.

I edited my post to include a clause about cost. :biggrin: I have been dreaming of making a rib roast with yorkshire pudding, but I am trying to keep costs down. Oh how I love yorkshire pudding!

Capon is not expensive, but usually needs to be ordered in advance. Baked ham (either a smithfield ham or a honey-roast); noodle cake with apples and walnuts and raisins.

Rump roast of beef is inexpensive and if you cook it medium rare in a slow oven it will be quite tender, so you could do that with Yorkshire pudding.

He who distinguishes the true savor of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise. --- Henry David Thoreau

Yorkshire pudding is not expensive...

Traditionally it was served as a seperate course with gravy before the roast to diminish the appetite and make the beef go further.

I'd second a standing rib roast. Its only one day a year, and you can make soup from the bones... Alternatively (and also traditional) is spiced beef - start with a brisket, salt, spices, and cook long and slow like a BBQ.

There is a FABULOUS beef braised in butter, using chuck roast, in Chufi's Dutch food thread in the cooking forum. Several of us have tried it, to unanimously rave reviews. It's delicious, and there's nothing weird about it. And it's awesome with the celery root and apple puree from Paula Wolfert's Cooking of Southwest France. My husband, not too adventurous in the vegetable department, now prefers that puree to mashed potatoes.

Your menu sounds wonderful and braised beef with polenta is much easier to manage for 14 than goose or duck.

On another note - I have found that rather simple food, even if unfamiliar, that is well prepared always works. Also, if the guests come to the table hungry it really reduces the "pickiness" ; thus limit appetizers and snacks to just enough to really whet the appetite.

Good luck with the holiday meal.

There is a FABULOUS beef braised in butter, using chuck roast, in Chufi's Dutch food thread in the cooking forum.  Several of us have tried it, to unanimously rave reviews.  It's delicious, and there's nothing weird about it.  And it's awesome with the celery root and apple puree from Paula Wolfert's Cooking of Southwest France.  My husband, not too adventurous in the vegetable department, now prefers that puree to mashed potatoes.

I was so going to post that when I got to the end, and tell her to PM you for the details!!!!

Don't waste your money on the bleu cheese...if they won't eat lamb, you can bet they don't eat cheese outside of what is found wrapped in plastic or in a pouch with those little noodles :smile:

I'm making the braised beef on Saturday night...once we saw the pictures, we were hooked.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

There's been a lot of talk about TRADITIONS with all the holidays going on, and the food on the table is as integral a part of celebration in most families as the gathering, the music, the decor, the ritual of celebration and the participants.

Would it not be feasible to ask the people who are going to eat the feast? Most people would be delighted to have a lovely Chinese dinner or Mexican fiesta, but not necessarily in PLACE of their regular, expected Christmas dinner.

And they might dislike/resent/be unpleasantly surprised and disappointed by having to go along with the unexpected, and by the loss of something they have come to count on.

So it can't hurt to ask.

I really don't have a traditional meal christmas day but this year I plan on doing something nice. As of now it looks like I will serve:

Salmon rolls filled with mascarpone herb filling

very simple arugula salad

White Bean soup with pancetta confit potato stuffed with cheese and truffle oil.

Porter braised short ribs with maple rosemary glaze (Braising with Molly I believe).

Probably no dessert since we have christmas cookies thruought the holiday and cinnamon rolls on christmas morning. Maybe port wine to finish instead?

I made this Six-hour Pork Roast in the past and it is fabulous. Pork shoulder is an affordable cut, and the slow roasting renders the meat fork tender.

It could certainly go well with a fancy mac-n-cheese dish, though I agree with the other comments that picky eaters typically do not care for blue cheese. In Thomas Keller's Bouchon

cookbook there is a wonderful recipe for Macaroni Gratin that features sauce Mornay and Emmentaler cheese. He also has a wonderful Butternut Squash soup with brown butter and sage.

Green veggies are tough. The less adventuresome steer clear of my favorites (Brussel srouts, butter beans) and prefer green beans and maybe baby peas. I love braised carrots too.

How adventurous a baker are you? For dessert, how about a Buche de Noel?

I think the Chinese idea is great, we use Chinese dishes at Holidays a lot.

Some favorites:

Steamed dumplings with spicy sauce- everybody loves them - I like a pork/shrimp/cabbage combo

Fried oysters served over shredded iceberg lettuce with spicy sauce - I made this for Thanksgiving appetizer to rave reviews.

hot and sour soup - great for cold weather

Szechuan dry cooked string beans (see Tribune article below)

spicy sauce recipe - make 1 day ahead

1/2 cup soy sauce

1/4 cup rice vinegar

1 TBS diced garlic

1 TBS diced ginger

1 diced hot chili pepper (or more to taste)

2 TBS fish sauce (nuoc nam)

1 tsp hot bean paste

diced cilantro (if desired)

As an aside, there was a long thread about Thankgiving traditions and other more exotic options: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=74158

It was used to write an article in the Chicago Tribune which appeared on November 28th: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/showcas...1,4975110.story

(may require free registration)

Several egulleteers are quoted, including yours truly :cool:

I am going with a small plates concept this year. I wanted to have some way to break out of the traditional service style of the big family meal and thought this might be a fun way. We have about 12 people coming and will have 8-10 dishes. I will probably make 6 of them myself and the other 2-4 will come from guests. Part of the reason I did this is because usually a few people like to bring items and I wanted the guests to feel free to make their favorite dishes or try new dishes. The only caveat was that we coordinate the ingredients so we don't duplicate the protein or the starch or the veg and try to strike a balance between salty, sweet, hot, bitter, and sour.

A few of the things we will be having:

Asparagus w/Asparagus Sauce

Pork Loin w/Fig Sauce

Braised Short Ribs

Quail (haven't decided how to serve)

Macaroni and Cheese (homemade, of course)

A couple of fish/shellfish dishes, one more veg and one more meat should do it. Probably will do a veg in the sour family and probably make a couple of the dishes spicy.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

I think Chinese is a great idea - it works well family-style, and it can be really festive. It's also super-flavorful, something that a lot of holiday standby's often aren't.

Welcome to eGullet, Marie! :biggrin:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Yes, welcome!

We departed from tradition years ago -- easy for us without kids to pass tradition along to and only intermittent family involvement.

We tend to treat ourselves to decadent foods that we don't indulge in everyday (although the list is getting shorter the older we get, the more self-indulgent we become...soon everyday will be a holiday :biggrin: ). We typically lay-in caviar (with blinis and creme fraiche, of course), a fine assortment of cheeses, cornichons, a variety of olives, pates, some sushi or sashimi and lots of good bubbly.

Depending on how many and whom you're trying to feed, this may or may not be practical or financially feasible but for a small gathering, I really don't think we end up spending that much more than if we did the usual massive amounts of ham or turkey and all of the sides. One year I made a bouillabaise, another a standing rib roast. Special but not ponderous.

Edited to correct type-o.

Edited by moosnsqrl (log)

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

A curious thread, given my personal situation at the holidays this year...I'm happy I found it.

Without going into too much gross detail :wink: my girlfriend and I have decided to do the opposite of what is normally done on Xmas day. Simply due to a very emotional year with way too many downs than ups (not with us - we happened to find one another at a most perfect time, and we needed each other)

Initially I began to think purely about the food...i.e. what could be the exact opposite of Turkey, dressing, potatoes, etc. (as if Thanksgiving wasn't enough)? That was a tough one. No matter how I tried I just could not come up with a satisfactory menu...then it hit me...Rather than just thinking about the food....think about the season...

So, I've gone with a menu related to a theme...Roughly the polar opposite of Xmas on a calendar would be the 4th of July (Here in the US)...so this year, Xmas day will be populated with:

* Beach party favorites, including leis made of garland, palm tree centerpieces, beach balls

* The bathtub filled up with some sand, palm trees, and a small water basin, just to get your feet wet

* A cooler stocked with beer and mixin's for margaritas

* BBQ Ribs

* Buttery corn on the cob

* Potato Salad

* Cole Slaw

* Quesadillas

* Starwberry Pie with vanilla ice cream

Yeah I know. We're crazy. And I know the corn and strawberries will have to be bought frozen, so definitely not the ideal. But after a few margaritas, and some licking the BBQ off of our fingers, the worries of this year will be no more than memories, and we'll have had a brief encounter with our long lost friend, summer (realize I am in Chicago).

As the song goes...

Have yourself a merry little Christmas,

Let your heart be light

From now on,

our troubles will be out of sight

Have yourself a merry little Christmas,

Make the Yule-tide gay,

From now on,

our troubles will be miles away.

Peace and Love during this Holiday Season

</Oggi>

"coffee should be black as Hell, strong as death and sweet as love" - Turkish Proverb

"Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house

Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse".

Except me that is!

I'll be stirring, chopping, roasting and a cooking!!

Yeah baby!!!

So less then 3 days to xmas and I don't see any major xmas dinner threads

at the top of the cooking forum??? :blink: ???

anyway starting tonight I am prepping the kitchen and making stock

for 20 of my family and friends to descend on my home to

eat the following

1. Turkey ballotine with two types of stuffings

Stuffing 1. sausage meat, porcini, pancetta, garlic, shallots and tarragon

Stuffing 2. sausage meat, onion, leek, sage and chestnuts

Sides:

Roast stuffing balls

Honey mustard roast parsnips

Roast potatoes

Roasted vine cherry tomatoes.

Steamed carrots.

Sauteed leeks

Brussel sprouts with garlic herb butter and pine nuts.

Sausages wrapped in bacon.

Fresh Cranberry sauce.

chicken and turkey gravy.

2. Chicken ballotine stuffed with shiso, shiitake mushrooms, pancetta

and chicken rosemary jus :)

3. Roasted Gammon ham, honey mustard glaze

4. Desserts

Chocolate souffles

Tiramisu

Banoffee pie

homemade ice cream

hmmm do you think I have forgotten anything??

So what you got cooking?

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

Corned ham! Biscuits or a baguette, kale, leftover chaudin if there is any, and maybe some homemade pepper jelly.

That's dinner-on-the-actual-Christmas-day, though, which is just me. Our celebratory type Christmas dinner will be on New Year's Eve:

Duck confit

Tangy spicy sauce (vague sounding, but I'm using glaceed pieces of an unidentified citrus fruit I bought in an Asian market along with diced cayenne)

Stone-ground grits

Cured lamb tongue confit

Fruitcake, saffron brownies, champagne, Campari

For about 20 (16 adults, four children all at least 9 years of age)

Amuse Bouche:

The Three Salmons: Salmon Mousse with Smoked Salmon and Salmon Roe (served on a spoon)

Goat Cheese Truffles (three separate ways) with poppy seeds, parsley & toasted ground fennel seeds.

Apps:

Pork and Beef Sweet and Sour Meatballs (primarily for the kids)

Aromatic Scampi

Chicken and Waffles with a Dijon Cream Sauce

Deep-fried Baby Red Creamer Potatoes with Creme Fraiche & Caviar

Serrano Ham, Olive, Red Pepper and Smoked Mozzarrella Platter

Middle:

Baked Penne Rigati with Homemade Sausage (primarily for the kids)

Entrees:

Roast Goose with New Potatoes and Vidalia Onions

Roast Loin of Pork with Toasted Almond Crust

Sides:

Mashed Potatoes

Sauteed Broccoli Rabe with Mustard Bread Crumbs

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Lemon & Bacon

Sauteed Mushrooms with Garlic & Sherry

Red Cabbage with Vinegar and Bacon

Homemade Southern Biscuits with Soft White Lily Flour

Desserts:

Warm Apple Strudel with Coffee Cream

Double Chocolate Mousse (made with dark and semi-sweet chocolate)

Homemade Cinnamon Ice Cream with Chocolate Sauce

After:

Selection of International Cheese with Sweet Olive Jam and Fig Preserves

Wines:

Mumm Brut Rose (Napa) - 2001

Windsor Chenin Blanc (Sonoma) - 2004

Frog's Lead Sauvignon Blanc (Napa) - 2004

Silver Oak Cabernet Sauvignon (Sonoma) - 1999

Ridge Zinfandel (Paso Robles) - 1998

Duck Pond Blueberry Port (Long Island) - 2000

Wachter Beerenauslese (MSR) - 1998

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

So much of the family is out of town or even out of country this year, we only have 7 for dinner. We are having rib roast, Garlic mashed potatoes, Buttered carrots, fruit tray, cheese tray, deviled eggs, cheesecake, bavarian cream, and sauteed asparagus. That's just what i am making. I told everybody else in the family that they could bring whatever they want. I know there will also be roasted vegetables, salad, rolls, pumpkin pie, and probably enough other stuff to feed an army. We may end up inviting every neighbor we can convince to come.

My immediate family (mom, sister and brother) have never experienced a tasting menu, so this year, my husband and I are going to try to create the experience for them. Since there will only be five of us, I'm hoping that we won't go too crazy. We'll probably take breaks between courses to play games and finish up the next course.

The recipes are from a combination of places--the French Laundry Cookbook, my own head, and Epicurious mostly, with one that is based on a dish I ate at No. 9 Park in Boston.

Smoked Salmon with Sweet Red Onion Crème Fraîche on Toast

Sweet Potato Soup with Orange Creme Fraiche

Seared Foie Gras with Pickled Cherries on Mesclun Greens with walnut oil and cherry vinaigrette

Chestnut Ravioli with Fontina and Celery Root Puree

Seared Scallops with Brussels sprouts, Pancetta, and Browned Pear Butter

Duck with Honey Glaze and Lavender

Pomegranate and Orange Sorbet

Cheese Course—Humboldt, Aged Gouda, Something sheepish with Fig and Anise Bread, Pears, Candied Hazelnuts, and Candied Kumquats

Haven't figured out the dessert courses yet, but I'm thinking about a trio of Christmas-y ice creams (peppermint stick, eggnog, and maybe gingerbread, plum pudding or fruitcake flavored?) with some accompaniments, but I'm not sure yet.

Owner of Salt in Montpelier, VT

www.saltcafevt.com

Wow, you guys get fancy with it!

After preparing Thanksgiving for 70 :blink: we make Christmas a less formal occassion. No sit down meal at all. Instead, we spend the day frying about 50 lbs of chicken and gizzards (it's a smaller crowd than Thanksgiving......more like 30). With it are garlic mashed taters and brown gravy. And everyone else brings little appetizers and such to snack on and we just graze. I'm thinking this year I might add freshly baked biscuits to the menu.

Edit to add: I forgot dessert! This year will be Costco cheesecake. Yum.

Edited by nacho (log)

Here's an entry in the simple category:

Savory Onion Brisket

Potatoes au Gratin

Provencal Carrots

Steamed Broccoli

Homemade Potato Bread

Afternoon Tea:

Pork and Pistachio Terrine with cornichons, mustard, and homemade French bread

Cheese Plate

Pickles

Olives

Scones

Clotted Cream

Jam

Assorted homemade cookies

Tea

~ Lori in PA

My blog: http://inmykitcheninmylife.blogspot.com/

My egullet blog: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=89647&hl=

"Cooking is not a chore, it is a joy."

- Julia Child

Haven't nailed down the entire menu but it's going to be fairly simple since I don't want to spend a lot of time cooking. This is what I have so far:

First: a small baby green salad with dried cranberries, candied walnuts and feta topped with a light raspberry vinegrete

Then: a porcini bisque with brie and french bread

Main items are a 10 lb. rib roast (aging in the fridge since Monday) with au jus,

steamed asparagus with sea salt and shaved parm reg,

baked potato or roasted garlic mashed or both,

some other veggie

Desert will either be creme brule or chocolate fondue with fresh raspberries, strawberries, banana and pound cake. Can you tell I'm leaning toward the fondue?

Whatever you all are having, have a great Christmas weekend.

Cheers,

Bob

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band