• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mashiko

There's been a lot written about Mashiko here. It's a bona fide PNW eG favorite. Here's a link to the major Mashiko thread, but there's other stuff out there.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

i haven't read the other responses about mashiko but i go there fairly often and have some suggestions/warnings...

1) the menu is huge

2) the miso is "country miso" and has cabbage and other ingredients in it. i am not a fan

3) i've been disappointed with omakase there - but then, i knew the waiter and he is kind of a freak so that may have had something to do with it

4) sit at the sushi bar if you can - the chefs are very good - the specials are excellent.

5) (see 1) be open to trying lots of things - the best way to approach mashiko is to not be married to toro or any one thing but to truly go with what's fresh.

6) it's on the pricey side, but worth it.

7) excellent nutty green tea, good sake selection

8) it gets crowded and the service is generally pretty bad though well-intentioned. try to avoid going at 7pm as there's only a tiny vestibule to wait in.

enjoy! i've had excellent special dishes - the agedashi tofu is the best i've had and they have a nice (though tame) variety of fish - lots of striped bass.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

6) it's on the pricey side, but worth it.

Every time I have the omakase at Mashiko, I feel guilty that I didn't pay more for it.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

Do you know if they take reservations?

Plan to go there on Sat at about 7pm, but I imagine that would be quite a wait . . .

They do, but it doesn't guarantee you immediate seating, just a spot at the top of the waiting list. That's my experiece at least.

hmm - maybe i wasn't clear (sorry about that)

freaky was our waiter - i know him vaguely. he doesn't work there anymore i don't think. he was trying to be helpful (read - invasive) and insisted we have baby octopi as part of the omakase - they were cold, red and rubbery...exactly like a child's toy. i thought the omakase was totally reasonable price-wise, but now all i can think of are those baby octopi.

the only other omakase experience i've ever had was at Tojo in vancouver and it was a revelation - i didn't think mashiko was as good - but it's not a fair comparison (i was on vacation in vancouver, the view was amazing...)

i'd be willing to try it again - maybe an outing sometime?

when i described mashiko as pricey i should have (again) been clearer. i guess because i'm not crazy about their nori - (i think it's chewy) i tend to avoid maki rather than blending maki and nigiri which is what i usually do. i end up ordering all nigiri instead...and since i eat um...a lot of nigiri it's more expensive than what i'd normally spend.

hope that clarifies...i am going to have to order out for dinner at mashiko now... :laugh:

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

The baby octopi are definately an experience. I thought they were pretty decent, more interesting than tasty. I do think that mashiko's does enjoy messing with its customers when they ask for omakase. I enjoy being messed with, but I have to be in the right mood. :biggrin:

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

I'm going to be in Seattle over the holidays; from reading the NW board, it looks like if I'm going to get sushi at one place in Seattle, Mashiko is the spot. Is that about right? (I have to say, I'm intrigued by the notion of sushi in West Seattle. Hell, I'm intrigued by even going to West Seattle, for the first time in probably a decade...)

If you like to be messed with a bit, most certainly. Probably if you want to order from the menu too...

This Sunday it wasn't too busy at all, so the service was good (as opposed to mildly overwhelmed). Oddly enough, we got almost no completely raw fish in the dinner--even the salmon nigiri was lightly seared. Things I'd never had before included geoduck (clammy) and ankimo (served with tako as 'dessert'). i shouldn't have told my friends what it was, they didn't try it...

the only other omakase experience i've ever had was at Tojo in vancouver and it was a revelation - i didn't think mashiko was as good - but it's not a fair comparison (i was on vacation in vancouver, the view was amazing...)

i'd be willing to try it again - maybe an outing sometime?

That's funny, when I had the omakase at Tojo's I didn't think it was as good as the omakase meals I'd had at Mashiko's.

Here's what I thought of Tojo's.

i really enjoyed your review of tojo's klink...it sounds to me like the omakase experience varies widely depending on many factors. i did love the tojo's special tuna - (i was there in march 2001) and still remember it for introducing me to glorious shisho leaf (no over-wasabiing) but who knows if i was there on a good night!?

i went to mashiko last night - i was feeling guilty...i got carryout and they charged me for, but forgot to include my scallop nigiri. they called (but left no message) to let me know. it's not a big deal but it's slightly annoying. i'm sure i could go back today/the next time and let them know but i wouldn't...

maybe i'm a pig (ok - i'm definitely a pig) but i think they're chintzy with the nigiri for the price. there's a lot of debate out there about slabs of fish vs thin ribbons and mashiko's fish is little (and definitely littler still when ordered to go).

on the quality side - hamachi and fresh salmon were amazing. mackerel was ok, maguro was flavorless, rolls not that good...(the atomic was yummy - but i think that was the sriracha)

what am i missing at mashiko? i'm willing to try pretty much anything...

--6 Train

Isn't the sushi usually more generous (in general) when one sits at a sushi bar than when one opts for takeout? That seems consistent with everything I've read and heard. If you're at the bar and the sushi chef knows you're happy and excited to be there, it seems natural that you're going to get the good stuff.

I've done omakase twice recently at Mashiko. I thought the dishes presented were eye-opening and delicious for the most part, the quantity bordering on too much, and the price a bargain. Some of us went with a London eGulleter a few months ago. He was very impressed by how inexpensive it was for the quality and quantity presented.

I want to mention my favorite server there, the woman with dreadlocks. She does a stellar job and is very knowledgeable about their dishes.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

maybe i'm a pig (ok - i'm definitely a pig) but i think they're chintzy with the nigiri for the price. there's a lot of debate out there about slabs of fish vs thin ribbons and mashiko's fish is little (and definitely littler still when ordered to go).

on the quality side - hamachi and fresh salmon were amazing. mackerel was ok, maguro was flavorless, rolls not that good...(the atomic was yummy - but i think that was the sriracha)

I think your perception of Mashiko is fundamentally different from most others here that have gone a number of times. I think it would help me, at least, to know what other sushi places in town you like as well or better. In particular, if there are places that you feel are more generous with the amounts they serve at approximately the same or better quality/value level, I'd love to know where they are.

My main reference for example is Nishino. For nigiri, I think you can make a solid argument that Nishino is better quality-wise, but the pieces of fish certainly are smaller and the prices are higher, therefore I think Mashiko offer's better overall value. That's just my opinion.

Isn't the sushi usually more generous (in general) when one sits at a sushi bar than when one opts for takeout?

I was at Shiki recently and watched them making platters of beautiful sushi for take out - same quality and quantity as those at the sushi bar were receiving. I have to say I thought the quality and quantity were outstanding. And the price was good too.

Edited by tsquare (log)

i think saito and nishino are my favorites, but i've had great meals at shiki as well as blue C and i love sushi.

i guess that while i think the experience at the sushi bar should be better in some ways - i definitely don't want to go somewhere that punishes me for takeout. if restaurants don't want to do takeout, that's ok too - but if you're going to offer it, i think it should be just what i'd get if i sit at a table. if he/she wants to be especially generous when i'm at the sushi bar - that's great, but i think it's fair to expect the same food.

with respect to price/quality/serving size/ambiance it's a balance. saito and nishino are my favorites because i think they offer the best balance. for all i know they're both more expensive. i just obviously end up feeling more satisfied and/or more welcome somehow.

as an aside - i feel like it's an admission of poor taste that i like i love sushi and blue C. i'm admitting it anyway. the hamachi kama at blue c is so good.

--6 Train

Isn't the sushi usually more generous (in general) when one sits at a sushi bar than when one opts for takeout?

I was at Shiki recently and watched them making platters of beautiful sushi for take out - same quality and quantity as those at the sushi bar were receiving. I's have to say I thought the quality and quantity were outstanding. And the pricewas good too.

Chef Yamamoto isn't as fickle as some sushi chefs, if that's the right way to put it.

As for Blue C, the atmo is a lot of fun, but I think the quality is very poor.

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.