• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whipped Cream

bsan

After reading this thread, I must wonder have any of you ever seen the Far Side cartoon with the title - "How Whipped Cream is Really Made?"

The cartoon shows a dungeon where a cow in chains is being whipped.

It's actually pretty funny.

My daughter had the t-shirt with that on it. It was pretty funny, just like you say.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

personally, i think whipped cream is a waste.

waste of space in stomach, waste of energy to put in mouth, waste of visual space on a plate, etc.

You just haven't eaten it off the right person. :laugh:

I mean with the right person.

I mean with ice cream or something. Yeah.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

personally, i think whipped cream is a waste.

waste of space in stomach, waste of energy to put in mouth, waste of visual space on a plate, etc.

You just haven't eaten it off the right person. :laugh:

I mean with the right person.

I mean with ice cream or something. Yeah.

K

you offering up a sister or something?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I recently saw a Martha Stewart show where she whipped up creme fraiche just as you would heavy cream. Looked pretty luxurious to me. Any fans here?

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

I recently saw a Martha Stewart show where she whipped up creme fraiche just as you would heavy cream. Looked pretty luxurious to me. Any fans here?

Yup, barely sweetened, it goes great with a dark chocolate flourless (or little flour) cake... (unfrosted...)

It's rich, but the slight tang goes well w/the chocolate

Tried this recently with a great french chocolate cake recipe in Chez Panisse Desserts that has some ground almonds in it.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I have been eyeing that bottle of Mexican Crema in my fridge with the intent of beating the crap out of it to see what happens. :biggrin:

Crema is real close to cream fraiche and is very good on those stewed apricots I fixed.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

you offering up a sister or something?

I wish I could. They're both married. If it were up to ME, I'd offer you the blond one with the gazongas and make her husband...just...go...away.

and just to keep it on topic, they do both LOVE whipped cream, in all its various guises except that heinous Cool whip. It doesn't even exist in nature.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

i am much more of a fan of creme fraiche than whipped cream.

fraiche has more of a purpose, contrasting with mushrooms or whatever else.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

and just to keep it on topic, they do both LOVE whipped cream, in all its various guises except that heinous Cool whip. It doesn't even exist in nature.

is there a difference between reddi-whip and cool whip?

in taste, texture, foaminess, etc.?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.