• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Local Fast Food of Texas

NewYorkTexan

I don't think Taco Cabana is so bad -- for what it is. I've eaten there a few times (the 24-hour thing is pretty handy), and, you know, it seemed a step up from Taco Bell, et al. If there's something I should know about it, please advise.

They certainly aren't as interesting as the taco wagons over on the Eastside where I live. Caveat diner, as always, but I enjoy them. My favorite was one on Cesar Chavez between Comal and Chicon with Tio's Tacos scrawled on it (not a taco truck, mind you, but a small wagon like you see at a county fair). Man, it was good, but I think they were forced to move. I swear I later saw the same wagon parked out behind a house on 183 on the way to Lockhart.

Anyone has any recommendations along these lines, I'd love to hear them.

In Austin (some are in other cities too):

Good to Great:

Culver's (actually great for fast food)

Fire Bowl

Dan's

Sandy's

Texadelphia (not really very fast though)

La Madeleine

Never thought of la Madelaine's as fast food, but it does fit into the parameters here. And a very tasty choice at that.

At that I miss being close in enough to hit the Filling Station. They used to be great, and you could walk in and order to go if you didn't want to sit down amongst the old petrol. Of course, Sandy's was (is?) right down the street. Do they still have that great frozen custard?

I used to live in walking distance of Dan's on N. Lamar; had to shuffle over there for a sinful breakfast at least once a month on the weekend. :biggrin:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Someone else mentioned Hut's in Austin. I remember there was practically fighting in the street around 1992 with all the burger places standing up pounding their chests. Quite funny too. Almost like the great salsa wars. Hut's is damn fine chow though. I still prefer Dirty's.

Aw, I looooove Hut's. How could you not? (Well, I have one friend who refuses to eat there because the buns fall apart, but he's weird.) Hut's has dozens of burger choices, though, and veggie burgers, and Dirty's doesn't, so that tips the scale in favor for me. No assumption here that it would for anyone else.

And I can't believe I forgot to mention my favorite place in Austin... Magnolia Cafe on S Congress.

So you're one of those people! :biggrin: I always knew there were people who enjoyed the Magnolias. I've never been one of them, having either having had a bad service experience or sanitation experience on every visit.

It's one of those places, for me, where the menu never really lives up to it's appeal.

But I'm sooooo glad you like it! :smile:

amanda

Googlista

• 4 weeks later...
More on San Antonio? Anyone? I have to go there for a conference the last week in March. I'd love some ideas! :biggrin:

Fast food in SA? If you're looking for burgers, it's got to be Chris Madrid's. Giant, cheese covered bean burgers - get the Macho if you're hungry. I love that place. You order, wait for them to call your number and then get the food. Ask the concierge at your hotel how to get there or just take a cab - they know.

I like Whataburger and Taco Cabana, but can understand why some might not. There's a newly opened Chipotle's near the Alamo Quary (north of downtown) that I haven't tried. There's Sushi Zushi downtown on Market St at St. Mary's - same building as Biga - that you can go to (hey - order and eat at the counter, right?).

Rudy's BBQ is out IH-10 about 30 min or so, but certainly worth the drive.

There's a thread about San Antonio food here -

Clicky - that you might go through. It's not all fast food, but there is a lot of very good stuff in there.

Thanks! I'll check it out!

I was in Austin last week for work, and tried Dirty's. I really liked the burgers, but the onion rings - not so much. They had this weird floury taste. We also went to the Texas Chili Parlor - I don't know if that qualifies as fast food, but the chili I had was pretty good! But thanks for all the great tips on this thread!

In Dallas, it's Wild About Harry's for great (and I mean great!) hot dogs and custard. The original shop is still my favorite. The cookie-cutter expansion sites just don't have the same character.

The original shop should be your favorite. A few weeks ago I visited their Preston location, only to find out it's now inhabited by a waitstaff! I was very disappointed. Just not the way to order a dog. However, their custard is to die for (and by).

Rice pie is nice.