• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How To Store Ginger Root?

stellarWOK

From Martha Stewart:

Anyway, Martha's piece is one of her "good thing" columns and in it

she's got Madhur Jaffrey describing how to buy and store ginger.

In it she says that for more longterm storage, basically plant a knob

in potting soil and keep it a little moist but don't overwater it. It

should be kept in a sunny place. Just dig it up and break off a piece

when you want. Also, it appears that there are sprouts that can also

be used but the article didn't specify how.

I usually buy more than I need for a single recipe so I peel and grate it and freeze it in ice cube trays. I don't think it's as good as when fresh but it works for most things when I can't get to a store for fresh.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

When I first bought ginger, (years ago) it wasn't a staple in the stores. I put it in the refrigerator, hoping it would keep -- and it didn't! It turned moldy very quickly. If the ginger has any mold on it, but otherwise is still firm --- then the mold can be scraped off.

Then I read about peeling it and slicing it into sherry, in a jar, and refrigerating it. This is fool-proof, and it lasts for ever.

If you are going to use it within a week, then the crisper in the fridge is fine.

But for a longer term of 3 to 4 weeks, you can place it into a small paper bag or a paper towel, and put it in the crisper of the refrigerator. No crisper -- put the paper bag or paper towel in a plastic bag. The paper absorbs the moisture that causes the mold, and the plastic keeps the moisture in. (figure that out!)

Since it is available just about everywhere, now ---- I just buy it when the old one is starting to look less than fresh. I keep it in an airy, dark drawer with my potatoes.

Freezing it and using when needed is very handy, and always available. But this is good only if you use grated or pureed ginger. Freezing makes it mushy when defrosted. If texture is important, as in needing shreds or slices, then freezing is not a good idea.

I planted it once -- like the Martha S. idea. Pain in the neck!!! It made an interesting plant when I didn't dig it up.

Then I read about peeling it and slicing it into sherry, in a jar, and refrigerating it. This is fool-proof, and it lasts for ever.

Best tip I've ever got.

I was constantly running out of ginger or going to use it only to find it had gone moldy & it's a pain in the patookis to drive 15 minutes to the store at the last minute...not to mention their ginger often looks shrivelled and pathetic, so when I stumble across nice looking ginger, I nab it.

Some lady who'd lived in Japan was on Calling All Cooks & mentioned that she stores ginger in sake. She said it keeps forever and indeed, it does. I don't cut it up, I just throw it in there whole and make sure it's submerged. The ginger in the fridge has lasted me 2 months at least so far. I take it out, rinse it off and use as usual. It doesn't seem to absorb much alcohol, and it would cook out anyway.

The extra perk is that it keeps the outer skin soft and it's extra easy to peel.

If I hadn't stumbled over this tip already, a couple months down the road, I'd be at your feet, jo-mel. Though, I may throw myself there anyway since I can't thank tv japan living lady. :smile:

". . . if waters are still, then they can't run at all, deep or shallow."

=megaira,Dec 8 2003, 10:17 PM  If I hadn't stumbled over this tip already, a couple months down the road, I'd be at your feet, jo-mel.  Though, I may throw myself there anyway since I can't thank tv japan living lady. 

Arise! Arise! (LOL!)

I can't take credit for it. I just read it somewhere, too!

If you use it alot, then the unpeeled garlic won't darken. But after a time, it will. It's just the color from the peel leeching into the wine. I usually slice mine, but I am going to do one whole and unpeeled, as you did, also.

One time I had no sherry, or ShaoXing, or Saki wine, and a recipe called for it -- as well as ginger. I used the sherry from the jar of ginger, and got both flavors at the same time. Real heady smelling stuff!

I was constantly running out of ginger or going to use it only to find it had gone moldy & it's a pain in the patookis to drive 15 minutes to the store at the last minute...not to mention their ginger often looks shrivelled and pathetic, so when I stumble across nice looking ginger, I nab it.

the thing to do is to find an indian store near you (or some other ethnic grocery that caters to a cuisine that uses ginger in almost everything). they will ALWAYS have great fresh, ginger. ditto for okra, which is usually also not fresh in regular grocery stores, not to mention over-priced.

One time I had no sherry, or ShaoXing, or Saki wine, and a recipe called for it -- as well as ginger. I used the sherry from the jar of ginger, and got both flavors at the same time.  Real heady smelling stuff!

Just don't try tasting the sherry straight from the jar. :shock:

PJ

"Epater les bourgeois."

--Lester Bangs via Bruce Sterling

(Dori Bangs)

One time I had no sherry, or ShaoXing, or Saki wine, and a recipe called for it -- as well as ginger. I used the sherry from the jar of ginger, and got both flavors at the same time.  Real heady smelling stuff!

Just don't try tasting the sherry straight from the jar. :shock:

PJ

I have! Heady tasting stuff too!! LOL!

the thing to do is to find an indian store near you (or some other ethnic grocery that caters to a cuisine that uses ginger in almost everything). they will ALWAYS have great fresh, ginger. ditto for okra, which is usually also not fresh in regular grocery stores, not to mention over-priced.

That's a really good suggestion, but for me, the closest indian store is a 45 minute jaunt. It's easier for me to just buy it when I see it fresh at the store 10 minutes away, and store it. I rarely need more than one thing from the indian grocer, so I rarely go. I still have a jar of ghee from...geez, I don't even know when. Probably rancid by now. :wacko:

Jo - it really truly is a great suggestion. Just passing it on should rack up some good karma. :biggrin:

I hadn't thought to taste the sake the ginger's been in. As soon as someone says don't, of course I think "hmm, I have to try that..."

Has anyone pickled ginger on their own? Can it be done at home?

". . . if waters are still, then they can't run at all, deep or shallow."

Has anyone pickled ginger on their own? Can it be done at home?

It can be done - I have a friend who made it. It even turned that pleasant shade of pink. Unfortunately I can't remember what type of vinegar he used. But, I'm sure some one else here can help with that. :laugh:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Has anyone pickled ginger on their own?  Can it be done at home?

It can be done - I have a friend who made it. It even turned that pleasant shade of pink. Unfortunately I can't remember what type of vinegar he used. But, I'm sure some one else here can help with that. :laugh:

Sounds like that sweet red rice vinegar. It could probably also be pickled in Zhenjiang vinegar. After all, shredded ginger in Zhenjiang vinegar is what you dip your Xiaolong Bao in. You don't?

Preserving ginger has never occurred to us, though, as we live a 15 minute walk from Chinatown and my wife shops there daily.

We make pickled sliced young ginger from time to time at home (to eat with century eggs or 'red hardboiled eggs') - sliced along the grain (so that it's smooth), blanched quickly then pickled in rice vinegar and sugar - can't remember exact steps but can check with mum if you like.

I'll quote myself from this previous thread: Shelf life of fresh ginger?

I've tried putting it in soil as well as sand. Ginger is a rhizome, and a tropical plant, so it doesn't like cold temperatures if you're wanting to grow it and/or keep it as fresh as possible, as long as possible.

I've found the best way to store it is in a drawer (same kind of drawer you keep your silverware in) - a dark place. In most cases, it will continue to grow... what's more fresh than that? I even mist it every once in a while, it's got new growth on it already!

And here's a good article you may find informative: What's the Best Way to Store Ginger?

:smile:

I've made Barbara Tropp's pickled ginger from her China Moon Cookbook, said recipe, of course, I can't find. But as I recall it took a fair amount of time due to the need to slice the ginger paper-thin. But made with young ginger - that pink-tinged, barely-there-skinned root, it was glorious. As I recall, the recipe called for rice vinegar and the ginger turned pink as it pickled - the color was not due to the type of vinegar. It wasn't as hot pink as the jarred or bought stuff, but it was pink. When you have nothing else to do :laugh: try it.

Megaira--Has anyone pickled ginger on their own? Can it be done at home?

I read somewhere (I'm always reading something somewhere!) that the pickled pink Japanese ginger got its color from lime juice, but after reading all the stuff, it seems to be simply something acidic.

Barbara Tropp uses a combo of vinegars:

To 1/2 pound of peeled fresh ginger, sliced crosswise into paper-thin coins, blanched and placed in a clean,clean,clean glass or plastic container, she pours the hot mix over, allows it to cool, and stored in the refrig for 24 hours. The mix---- 1 1/3 cups unseasoned Japanese rice vinegar / 3 Tbsp. cider vinegar / 2 Tbsp. distilled white vinegar / 1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp. sugar / 1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. salt. Bring it to a boil over moderate heat until the sugar & salt is dissolved.

Gin/Castle's "Regional Cooking of China" uses a ratio of 1 to 1 to 1 of rice vinegar, sugar and water. A little salt and 1 or 2 dried chile peppers.

I found this on-line:

http://www.recipesource.com/ethnic/asia/ja...00/rec0012.html

But to answer your question -- I've never pickled ginger. I buy it in tall jars. Pickled Ginger - Meechun Canning Co. Ltd. They also make the red candied knobs of ginger in the same type of jars.

The pickled slices are wonderful. (I'm eating,one right now) Slightly sweet, but zingy and refreshing. I usually shred them, put them on a small plate and put them on the table when I have a Chinese dinner.

This may go slightly off-topic, but it may help.

I work downtown, surrounded by lots of "NY-style" eateries.

They usually have maki and gari (pickled ginger). They also have lots

of raw vegetables and "whatever" for 4.59/lb.

That's kind of expensive, but if you have a brain-storm at work for what

to fix for supper, it can be well worth the premium to save lots of time.

I have never used pickled ginger to replace "raw" ginger in a stir-fry, but

it would certainly beat powder, or doing without.

Oh, yes. The New York style delis are also a more reliable source of ready-to-eat

whole fruit than groceries in my area (downtown Baltimore.)

BB

Food is all about history and geography.