• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Impulse Buys at the Grocery Check-Out

SethG

My apologies if this has been covered before, but I didn't find it.

I often stop for a few groceries on my way home from work, and one market I frequent sells these Ritter Sport chocolate bars. I always tell myself I won't be buying one of these today, and yet I very often end up buying it, all the while telling myself I'll eat half and give the rest to my wife. Then I gobble it up in seconds. I've never yet made it home with one of these bars.

How about you? What do you buy at the register and guiltily snarf down?

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

My neighborhood produce store, where I do most of my food shopping aside from the Farmer's Market, does not keep magazines, candy, batteries, etc. by the checkout, but rather something that is even more alluring to me for an impulse buy: that's where they keep all the spices! I can't get out of there without at least one packet of something or other to experiment with.

Squeat

At my local "Gourmet" store I can't not buy at least one, maybe two packages of the European version of what I grew up knowing as "Sugar Wafers".

Back in the day thy came in and came in artifical Chocolate, artifical Strawberry and artifical Vanilla.

I can't for the life of me thing of the brand name, but they come in Vanilla, Lemon, Raspberry and Chocolate Hazelnut

Bill Russell

At my local "Gourmet" store I can't not buy at least one, maybe two packages of the European version of what I grew up knowing as "Sugar Wafers".

Back in the day thy came in and came in artifical Chocolate, artifical Strawberry and artifical Vanilla.

I can't for the life of me thing of the brand name, but they come in Vanilla, Lemon, Raspberry and Chocolate Hazelnut

Do you mean Manner Wafers from Austria?

Link here:

http://www.buonappetitony.com/html/cookies/manner.asp

my favorites are lemon and hazelnut.

ps. those do sound like something I would snag at the last minute and then eat in the car...

Since I usually bought those at a german deli/meat store, made me think of something else to buy and eat a la minute. Little pre-cooked hot dogs at a german deli; hard to resist after being engulfed in the absolute best yummy smell of a german deli.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

The check out line at Hong Kong Market is deadly. There are all of these enticing candies, spices, and other odd-ball things that I have no idea what to do with. My curiosity gets the better of me.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Magazines if they are food related or if they promise to dig me out of my chaos and get me "Organized at Last"!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I have no shame. If I'm gonna binge, it's going to be high in fat, salt, and things that have little relationship to food occuring in nature.

For me it's the extra-large bag of fried (crunchy) Cheetos! With a quart of milk. Man, that's living.

As Cartman would say, "Hey! I want my Cheesy Poofs!"

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

At my local "Gourmet" store I can't not  buy at least one, maybe two packages of the European version of what I grew up knowing as "Sugar Wafers".

Do you mean Manner Wafers from Austria?

Link here:

http://www.buonappetitony.com/html/cookies/manner.asp

my favorites are lemon and hazelnut.

ps. those do sound like something I would snag at the last minute and then eat in the car...

Since I usually bought those at a german deli/meat store, made me think of something else to buy and eat a la minute. Little pre-cooked hot dogs at a german deli; hard to resist after being engulfed in the absolute best yummy smell of a german deli.

That's them. I like Lemon and Vanilla.

I'm not a huge chocolate fan so I haven't tried the chocolatty ones.

But right now I think I'll go have a big chunk of the worlds largest custom imprinted Chocolate Bar our office recieved as a gift.

Thanks.

Bill Russell

I have no such impulses at the grocery store, however, the market's "offerings by the exit" are more tempting and what I always succumb to at least once a week (or is that weak?!): cheeses, cornichons, what, a new condiment?

Cheese: milk’s leap toward immortality – C.Fadiman

Slim Jims.

I see them at the checkout stand and just get a hankering for them and boom, they jump into my cart. I usually regret it when I begin eating one and feeling the beefy greasy texture in my mouth that makes them so...unique.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver