• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Worst non-fat/low-fat meals you've ever had

There was someone on Food TV a few years ago that used to saute things in WATER! :blink: Who was that?

Isn't that BOILING?

I am not kidding. She actually said she was sauteing. I can still picture the onions and celery getting boiled. It is driving me nuts who she was. Michelle Urvwater (sp?) maybe?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Every day I would put the sandwiches in my pocket and we'd pour the milk into the potted plant.

How'd the plant do?

:smile: My memory's a little hazy, but it seemed to do okay. That arrangement thankfully only lasted for a couple months. I still remember the first day, though, as we sat staring at each other in stunned silence, and then slowly began to work out a plan for disposing of our snack without seeming ungrateful.

Not a meal, but I used to HATE non-fat/skim milk. When I was a teen I used to call it "Blue Water" it was so thin and odd looking.

But today's non-fat/skim milk is anything but "Blue Water". Have dairy processes changed over the years? It doesn't look anything like it did when I was younger. It's much more palatable these days.

One step down, "powdered" milk! Remember? from Carnation?

When I was in first grade, my mom refused to buy milk for a while because something was discovered in milk produced at the local dairies (in Wisc) that was dangerous. I think it was something the cows had grazed on in the fields, maybe a pesticide? I'm sure my teacher thought my mom was a communist when she would not let me get my little daily carton of milk they passed out! Actually, I think she was a communist . (my mom, not my teacher) And very cool.

At home we had to drink that powdered stuff. Yuk!

I never eat diet food. One day I will be punished I'm sure.

I like tofu, but also blood rare filet mignon and baked potatoes with butter AND sour cream (being from Wisconsin) :wink:

JANE

There was someone on Food TV a few years ago that used to saute things in WATER! :blink: Who was that?

Isn't that BOILING?

I am not kidding. She actually said she was sauteing. I can still picture the onions and celery getting boiled. It is driving me nuts who she was. Michelle Urvwater (sp?) maybe?

I remember her too. I don't think it was Michelle Urvater though, I remember an older woman with a dishwater blond above the shoulder bob.....

It was some show about low cholesterol or diabetes or something along that lines.

It was a PBS show I believe, I didn't have cable back then......

and yes she called it sauteeing in water! :blink:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Yeah... I can picture her now. I think I just picked on Urvwater because I find her so intensely annoying.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Not a meal, but I used to HATE non-fat/skim milk.  When I was a teen I used to call it "Blue Water" it was so thin and odd looking.

But today's non-fat/skim milk is anything but "Blue Water".  Have dairy processes changed over the years?  It doesn't look anything like it did when I was younger.  It's much more palatable these days.

One step down, "powdered" milk! Remember? from Carnation?

Gosh, do I! My mom thought she'd try "making" skim milk by using that powdered stuff for a while. Yuck. But then my mom grew up during the Depression when she had to eat and drink some horrible things because there was nothing else. So I don't think she thought it was that bad.

Think again, mom! :biggrin:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

A few months ago I got it into my head to make a "healthy" version of rice pudding that was lower on the glycemic index than rice pudding made from white rice and tons of sugar. I made it with brown rice and wheatberries, vanilla soy milk, cinnamon, etc. It tasted delicious but was rather chewy. The wheatberries never get past barely al dente no matter how long you boil the crap out of them. :rolleyes:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I will admit that under pressure from my wife, I bought Gue'rards's "Cuisine Minceur" and cooked a few meals out of it. It was BAD. Maybe it was me, maybe it was the recipes, but when the best thing you can say about the book was that it has an interesting salad dressing,then you know something is up.

My wife is still demanding that I get rid of the olive oil I use almost daily.

And steam all the vegetables ...

I couldn't imagine where Gue'rard got all this reputation until I also got the

"Cuisine Gourmande" and then I realized he'd been on the dark side as well.

n.b. Both of these books come from the defunct "Three Star Chefs of France"

series of Morrow and Company.

Two of the worst meals I've ever been served in someone's home (one was actually in a church reception hall but the food was made for the reception by the bride and her mother). Neither was supposed to be low fat by design but both were and they qualify.

1) The first dinner served by one of my college apartment mates early in the semester - his first night with cooking duties. he made 'Randy Z's famous lemon Chicken". His roomate the previous year had made this and he tried to replicate by memory. Here's how to do it:

Take 2 skinless chicken thighs per person (big , tall hungry college guys no less), marinate them in a bottle of undiluted straight from the bottle RealLemon Juice for 24 hours and bake until not too rubbery. Place on plate with boiled brussel sprouts and serve. This was the meal. No kidding. We went to each cooking on our own the following week.

2) My cousin's new bride insisted on making all the food for their wedding reception hereself. It was.... totally macrobiotic with the most basic and fundamental foodstuffs, none of which had been seasoned in any way, processed, cooked or altered unless it was in such a way as to make them taste worse than they would if eaten totally raw. The weirdest thing was that most of it looked like "real food". Instead of sneaking out to smoke a joint, everyone was sneaking out in groups to a nearby McDonalds to grab something orderline edible before coming back and pretending they'd eaten something good at the reception.

1) British Airways "low fat meal" rarely actually eat the airplance food but as a precaution in case the snacks I bring with me are confiscated, lost or there's alot of traffic going to the airport and I eat them on the way I usually order the lowfat/low salt meal so if I eat it it merely 600 calories of drek rather than 2000 also v. important don't want to explode from water retention but I digress the meal presented was this:

Cheese Ravioli w. Oleo, White rice, a white roll & a rather whitish iceberg lettuce salad & a mushy apple..

apparently they associated lowfat with please serve me something I would be happy to eat in a third level mental institution post lobotomy, perhaps some thing non threatening without too many colors

do note however that the return meal was v. nice, grilled chicken breast steamed broccoli & new potatoes w. lemon go figure

2) Some sort of liquid shake diet I was on suggested that you use half the reccomended amount of water to make "pudding" I can't even go there

3) Was on a no sugar, no dairy, no bread no pasta no fruit movie star kind of diet which consisted of taking an aspirin, 2 vitamin C's , a caffine pill and 2 ephedrine pills 3xs a day and lifting alot of weights I was in fantastic shape felt like a Jack Russell didn't sleep much but anyway one of the things I would have for breakfast was:

Oatmeal w. Equal, Maple Extract, Butter Extract & Protien Powder

thus is a meal nightmares are made of. Butter extract ugh ugh just now the faux untcousness slimy taste of it comes back to me. Can we ban Butter extract? It there any way it is palatabale?

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise