• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot Chocolate

birder53

If you saw this movie (Johnny Depp was in it) do you remember how wonderful the hot chocolate was supposed to be? I thought the owner of the chocolate shop said the secret was a little chili pepper. Is there really such a drink? Anyone have a recipe? :smile:

KathyM

It sounds very similar to

Mayan Hot Chocolate

I'd try following the recipe on the linked page but start out with a smaller amount of chili or just add a dash of some good chili powder. Prior to nosing around on this page I had always used the terms "hot cocoa" and "hot chocolate" interchangeably but obviously they are quite different from one another.

Cafe Pascual's in santa Fe uses Ibarra Mexican chocolate to make something similar, although I'm not sure they have chili powder in it.

Antica Dolceria Bonajuto from Modica, Sicily makes little chocolates with peperoncini that are marvellous, although I cannot find them mentioned on their website. They are pictured, but apparently not offered for sale at Zingerman's. They do appear to be available at Nastasi Imports, although I know nothing of this merchant.The vanilla and cinammon chocolates are also wonderful and they are available at Zingerman's and Nastasi.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

This Mayan Hot Chocolate may just be what you're looking for. You can use either fresh chilis or chili powder. Sounds delicious! When you make it, please report! :biggrin:

edited to add: Drat! Phaelon upstaged me! :wink:

Edited by Huevos del Toro (log)

--------------

Bob Bowen

aka Huevos del Toro

Mariebelle in NYC also makes hot chocolate mixes that are excellent. They have a "Spicy" Hot chocolate in addition to the "Aztec" and others. These also make great chocolate pudding.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

The Mayan Hot Chocolate sounds very seductive! I really enjoyed the brief history of hot chocolate that accompanied all the recipes. I'll report back when I've had a chance to try it - maybe this weekend! Thank you all for your replies. :smile:

KathyM

The Mayan Hot Chocolate Recipe looks great---a gussied up version of the simplebut tasty technique of whirling Mexican Chocolate (like Ibarra) in a blender with hot milk (remember to loosen to top a bit before blending).

Whenever I make 'regular' hot chocolate, I add a pinch of cayenne and it is great!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The last really good chocolate I had was in San Miguel de Allende at San Agustin in San Miguel de Allende You had a choice of Mexican, American or French. The French was the best, at least I thought so.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!