• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO hardcore sushi bar around Fort Lee / N. NJ.

SG-

Looking for a hardcore traditional sushi bar in the Fort Lee, NJ area for this weekend. Don't feel like driving into the city and dealing with traffic.

I've heard about the existence of some underground places but don't know of any myself. Help please. Thank in advance.

Yamaguchi Restaurant

2165 State Rt 4, Fort Lee, NJ 07024

Phone: (201) 947-3456

Yamaguchi is pretty hardcore. Also if you want some really good authentic stuff try

Tamaya Restaurant

2347 Hudson Ter, Fort Lee, NJ 07024

Phone: (201) 585-7009

I've only been there once as it yet but it attracts a very hardcore japanese audience. Its not really a sushi bar but the chef makes some pretty impressive plates of stuff and he will make sushi to order. Its an attractive little place and the chef prepares lots of specials. Also some of the best nabemono I have had, particularly their sukiyaki, which is not cloyingly sweet like most americans like it. Its served with raw egg, which I understand is a very traditional way to have it and isnt skimpy on the beef.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

There's a small, family owned place that has never failed to please me: Hiura, on Main Street near Anderson Avenue (there's a Korean restaurant on the corner). Hiura has great sushi as well as bento box dinners and other cooked items. It's a BYO. Parking is in a lot just around the corner on Anderson.

Yamaguchi, which has a branch in the city, has had half-price sushi on weekends, and when I visited with friends in the summer, they offered free draft beer and sake as well. It is housed in a no-luggage hotel, and there is the Cheap Beer Depot next door.

I totally forgot about Hiura. I went there once with Rachel, it literally is a hole in the wall. The sushi was good, but I felt very uncomfortable in there as it seemed like the Japanese in that establishment tend to shun Americans -- and it takes a LOT of that kind of feeling to keep someone like me away, who has spent part of their professional life among Japanese.

Also way too much cigarette smoke.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

The "way too much cigarette smoke" applies to Yamaguchi as well.

Yeah, but its a much bigger place, so you don't notice it as much. You're just hypersensitive to it.