• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Asiate

NY News Team

Hi all, I'm not a regular poster, but am a pretty regular lurker.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has been to Asiate lately?

We were in the city for my wife's b-day over this past holiday weekend and we were able to eat at Asiate on Monday evening. Meal was excellent and service was perfect. Was pretty baffled at the 1-star review from Hesser in the Times.

My wife had the smoked cod and I had the steamed black bass. Both were so tasty and well prepared. I had the Foie appetizer and she had the prawn en papillote. Her's was very good but I got the better end of that deal. The Foie was perfectly done, on a Daikon radish cake, swimming in a sea of fragrant broth and 13 kinds of rice. Beatiful.

Our server was well informed, quite helpful and very easygoing. She overheard me wishing my wife a happy birthday and brought us an extra dessert with "Happy Birthday" written in chocolate on the plate. Not like that is a huge deal, but it's the extra effort that makes it feel worthwhile.

Overall, we had a wonderful evening and would absolutely go back again!

Anyone else have any recent Asiate experiences?

-stevesnis

Hi all, I'm not a regular poster, but am a pretty regular lurker. 

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has been to Asiate lately?

We were in the city for my wife's b-day over this past holiday weekend and we were able to eat at Asiate on Monday evening.  Meal was excellent and service was perfect.  Was pretty baffled at the 1-star review from Hesser in the Times.

My wife had the smoked cod and I had the steamed black bass.  Both were so tasty and well prepared.  I had the Foie appetizer and she had the prawn en papillote.  Her's was very good but I got the better end of that deal.  The Foie was perfectly done, on a Daikon radish cake, swimming in a sea of fragrant broth and 13 kinds of rice.  Beatiful.

Our server was well informed, quite helpful and very easygoing.  She overheard me wishing my wife a happy birthday and brought us an extra dessert with "Happy Birthday" written in chocolate on the plate.  Not like that is a huge deal, but it's the extra effort that makes it feel worthwhile.

Overall, we had a wonderful evening and would absolutely go back again!

Anyone else have any recent Asiate experiences?

-stevesnis

I think they fired their original chef, the name was different on the most recent menu I saw.

Until stevenis's post yesterday, there hadn't been an eGullet review since last August, so it would seem the members here aren't patronizing it in droves.

I do remember a lot of people felt that Amanda Hesser's 1-star rating was unduly harsh. If indeed they've changed chefs, then perhaps the time is ripe for a re-assessment.

Until stevenis's post yesterday, there hadn't been an eGullet review since last August, so it would seem the members here aren't patronizing it in droves.

I do remember a lot of people felt that Amanda Hesser's 1-star rating was unduly harsh. If indeed they've changed chefs, then perhaps the time is ripe for a re-assessment.

I had eaten there shortly before Ms. Hesser's review and thought the time was ripe for a reassessment back then. I guess I was one of those who found her unduly negative. I think hotel restaurants that do not have a street entrance still tend to suffer. There was such a buzz about places like Per Se and Cafe Gray that they've risen above being in a mall in terms of appeal, but I wonder how the other restaurants in the Time Warner Building are doing. Nevertheless they all have the advantage of grouping and of being in a building with traffic. Asiate, around the corner and accessible via the hotel is not going to get any spin or residual traffice from the TW mall.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I had eaten there shortly before Ms. Hesser's review and thought the time was ripe for a reassessment back then. I guess I was one of those who found her unduly negative. I think hotel restaurants that do not have a street entrance still tend to suffer. There was such a buzz about places like Per Se and Cafe Gray that they've risen above being in a mall in terms of appeal, but I wonder how the other restaurants in the Time Warner Building are doing. Nevertheless they all have the advantage of grouping and of being in a building with traffic. Asiate, around the corner and accessible via the hotel is not going to get any spin or residual traffice from the TW mall.

Slightly off-topic but do you really think any of the Time Warner restaurants get additional traffic from passer-by's? I don't know that anyone would walk by Per Se (can't get in anyway) or Masa and decide on the fly to plop down $1000 for a dinner for 2.

Slightly off-topic but do you really think any of the Time Warner restaurants get additional traffic from passer-by's?  I don't know that anyone would walk by Per Se (can't get in anyway) or Masa and decide on the fly to plop down $1000 for a dinner for 2.

I think that Café Gray is the only Time-Warner restaurant that reaps any significant benefit from walk-ins. Its unique position on the 2nd floor reinforces this.

I've heard that people wander in cluelessly even at Per Se with no idea of the price, dress code or knowing anything about the place. I've got to imagine V Steakhouse must get some business as well as the other place that foodies don't seem to both even mentioning. Of course people unprepared to pay the price at a restaurant that's fully reserved anyway are not what you could call business. "Traffic" is a a more ambiguous term.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Slightly off-topic but do you really think any of the Time Warner restaurants get additional traffic from passer-by's?  I don't know that anyone would walk by Per Se (can't get in anyway) or Masa and decide on the fly to plop down $1000 for a dinner for 2.

If you look at the residents (minimum 1million dollars for a small apt) and the Time Warner folks + guests @Mandrin Oriental - Last minute seatings are not unheard off. What's wrong with having some sushi @ Bar Masa after Jazz outing ? :hmmm:

anil

Bar Masa is a mostly non-resevation kind of place, in fact, I don't know if they even take reservations. I've stopped in at least 6 times, its usually half empty. I've been a walk in at Cafe Gray and I suspect V often does walk-ins. Per Se now says in small letters on their kiosk outside reservations only.

• 5 months later...

A friend had asked where I'd like to be taken out for my birthday. I chose Asiate, where we dined last Saturday night. This must be the most spectacular room in New York City, particularly at night. At one end of the room is a massive wall of wine bottles; on the ceiling, a glass tree-branch scuplture. Most striking are the wraparound windows offering unobstructed long-distance views of the skyline. On a clear evening, as it was last Saturday, we felt like we were suspended in space, looking out on a futuristic fantasy city.

Asiate's evening menu is $75 for three courses, or $95 for the seven-course tasting menu. We selected the tasting menu with wine pairings at $145. Chef Nori Sugie has been at Asiate from the beginning. His adventurous way with food reminded me of what Wylie Dufresne has been doing at WD-50. He misfired occasionally, but the overall impression was highly favorable. Amanda Hesser's one-star assassination of the restaurant is a disgrace. Since I've been reading the Times, no review has under-shot the true merit of a restaurant by so wide a margin.

The menu was as follows:

Slow Poached Egg, Bonito, Ginko Nut

Ruinart Brut Blanc de Blancs, Reims

This amuse totally misfired. I did eat the whole thing, waiting for the pleasant taste sensation that never came. My girlfriend abandoned it after one bite. It resembled an eyeball suspended in a turd, and tasted not much better than that. I would guess that an awful lot of slow poached eggs have been sent back. Reading our minds, our server advised, "It gets better." So it did.

Seasonal Tasting Dishes

Strub Riesling Spatlese "Niersteiner Paterberg" 2003, Rheinhessen

Tentaka Kuni "Hawk in the Heavens," Junmai Sake

This is the set of six appetizers served in a bento box, much written about. The printed menu I took home doesn't note what they were, but for me the highlight was a candied foie gras that reminded me of WD-50's treatment of that same dish. There was an oyster suspended in a tangy green sauce. There was a delectable sliver of grilled striped bass. And three other items I don't recall. We much appreciated the pair of contrasting wines that went with this course.

Caesar Salad Soup

This was totally funky — soup that looked like espresso, but tasted like caesar salad.

Fish of the Day

Zoémie De Sousa Brut "Cuvée Merveille," Avize

This, I believe, was a black bass fillet, and probably the best single course of the evening. Tender, supple to the touch, and absolutely delicious.

Pan-Roasted Venison Tenderloin,

Braised Shoulder Meatball,

Spaghetti Squash Salad, Butternut Squash,

Bitter Chocolate Beggars Purse, Civet Sauce

Robert Craig "Affinity" 2001, Napa Valley

This meat course had two cubes of venison that unfortunately had both the look and the consistency of marshmallows. The spaghetti squash salad and bitter chocolate beggars purse were rather more successful. After a string of perfectly chosen wines, the Robert Craig "Affinity" was an unremarkable cabernet-merlot blend that was not up to the elegance of the menu.

Sakelees Goat Chees Bavarois,

Beetroot Plum Granite

Roasted Pear Soup, Spiced Cake, Hazelnut Ice Cream

Gosset Brut Grand Rosé, Ay

At this point, we were ready to be wheeled out of the restaurant, after this much food and drink. On top of all this, we were served a birthday cake that was so good it should be added to the menu as a regular dessert.

Our server was highly attentive, friendly, helpful, and professional. We were made to feel as if this was our special evening, as we had wanted it to be.

Asiate is one of the most romantic spots in the city. If Chef Sugie's concoctions aren't always hits, certainly enough of them are, and he has my support for serving some of the most creative cuisine in the city. I look forward to returning. And shame on you, Amanda Hesser!

Edited by oakapple (log)

When I see "civet," I think "civet cat," those smelly spotted nocturnal scavenger/hunters that are best known for pooping high-end coffee. But what is a civet sauce?

Michael aka "Pan"

A friend had asked where I'd like to be taken out for my birthday. I chose Asiate, where we dined last Saturday night. This must be the most spectacular room in New York City, particularly at night. At one end of the room is a massive wall of wine bottles; on the ceiling, a glass tree-branch scuplture. Most striking are the wraparound windows offering unobstructed long-distance views of the skyline. On a clear evening, as it was last Saturday, we felt like we were suspended in space, looking out on a futuristic fantasy city.

Asiate's evening menu is $75 for three courses, or $95 for the seven-course tasting menu. We selected the tasting menu with wine pairings at $145. Chef Nori Sugie has been at Asiate from the beginning. His adventurous way with food reminded me of what Wylie Dufresne has been doing at WD-50. He misfired occasionally, but the overall impression was highly favorable. Amanda Hesser's one-star assassination of the restaurant is a disgrace. Since I've been reading the Times, no review has under-shot the true merit of a restaurant by so wide a margin.

The menu was as follows:

Slow Poached Egg, Bonito, Ginko Nut

Ruinart Brut Blanc de Blancs, Reims

This amuse totally misfired. I did eat the whole thing, waiting for the pleasant taste sensation that never came. My girlfriend abandoned it after one bite. It resembled an eyeball suspended in a turd, and tasted not much better than that. I would guess that an awful lot of slow poached eggs have been sent back. Reading our minds, our server advised, "It gets better." So it did.

Seasonal Tasting Dishes

Strub Riesling Spatlese "Niersteiner Paterberg" 2003, Rheinhessen

Tentaka Kuni "Hawk in the Heavens," Junmai Sake

This is the set of six appetizers served in a bento box, much written about. The printed menu I took home doesn't note what they were, but for me the highlight was a candied foie gras that reminded me of WD-50's treatment of that same dish. There was an oyster suspended in a tangy green sauce. There was a delectable sliver of grilled striped bass. And three other items I don't recall. We much appreciated the pair of contrasting wines that went with this course.

Caesar Salad Soup

This was totally funky — soup that looked like espresso, but tasted like caesar salad.

Fish of the Day

Zoémie De Sousa Brut "Cuvée Merveille," Avize

This, I believe, was a black bass fillet, and probably the best single course of the evening. Tender, supple to the touch, and absolutely delicious.

Pan-Roasted Venison Tenderloin,

Braised Shoulder Meatball,

Spaghetti Squash Salad, Butternut Squash,

Bitter Chocolate Beggars Purse, Civet Sauce

Robert Craig "Affinity" 2001, Napa Valley

This meat course had two cubes of venison that unfortunately had both the look and the consistency of marshmallows. The spaghetti squash salad and bitter chocolate beggars purse were rather more successful. After a string of perfectly chosen wines, the Robert Craig "Affinity" was an unremarkable cabernet-merlot blend that was not up to the elegance of the menu.

Sakelees Goat Chees Bavarois,

Beetroot Plum Granite

Roasted Pear Soup, Spiced Cake, Hazelnut Ice Cream

Gosset Brut Grand Rosé, Ay

At this point, we were ready to be wheeled out of the restaurant, after this much food and drink. On top of all this, we were served a birthday cake that was so good it should be added to the menu as a regular dessert.

Our server was highly attentive, friendly, helpful, and professional. We were made to feel as if this was our special evening, as we had wanted it to be.

Asiate is one of the most romantic spots in the city. If Chef Sugie's concoctions aren't always hits, certainly enough of them are, and he has my support for serving some of the most creative cuisine in the city. I look forward to returning. And shame on you, Amanda Hesser!

You didn't mention the total cost. Does that mean you were comped? Also, what about access to the hotel, etc.

Mark

You didn't mention the total cost. Does that mean you were comped? Also, what about access to the hotel, etc.

I only wish I could get comped for a meal like that. No, that was the seven-course tasting menu with wine pairings, at $145 each.

The restaurant is on, I believe, the 35th floor of the Mandarin Oriental Hotel. Like many hotel restaurants in this town, they are not catering solely to diners who are staying there.