• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cruzan Blackstrap Rum?

mikef

I would imagine it tastes kind of like New Orleans rum, which is made out of blackstrap molasses.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

No I have not seen that , but my selection of Cruzan out here in California is pretty weak ! Mostly its just the single barrel or the dreaded flavored rums...arrgh why do they try and shove that stuff down our throats? By the way I just saw the single barrle in a 1.75 litre size! Same shape as the regular single barrel , just the size of a scuba tank!!!

I've tried the Cruzan Black Strap - definitely more substantial than the flavored rums - I liked it enough to buy a bottle.

Wetsail, where are you in CA? I may be able to recommend a way for you to get some Blackstrap. Its worth trying.

I'm down in San Diego, where I have yet to find a good source for interesting rums. It was a lot better when I lived in the Florida Keys. I assume I would have to travel to L.A. to get much of a selection out here, might just wait until May; another sailing trip in the B.V.I. should add some fine stuff to my collection !

If your talking about a dark rum, this is dark!! in fact it's black. In fact it is a whole lot of caramel. and it is just for the bartender, who can use it as a "floater". I sugest do not drink it. This is not on the market to drink it on ice, but as a cocktail ingredient.

regards,

ed

Westsail, if you remind me via e-mail I'll try to find a way to get you some Cruzan Black Strap. I know a guy..... I'm at khoiberg@mba2000.hbs.edu

By the way, I've occasionally had good luck finding some interesting rums in Tijuana liquor stores. For example, the huge Gigante grocery store on Ave. Revolucion.

Kirk

• 1 month later...

I tend to agree with Sheer, I have tasted it and it is an attempt to fill Cruzan's portfolio with a black rum. There are a number of them on the market and most are used in cocktails. I do commend Cruzan for not trying to pass this off as a rum that isn't colored and got it's color from aging, though it is aged as are all of the Cruzan rums.

I would use this in a Planter's Punch or as a floater in a Pina Colada.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

• 2 months later...

Got the Cruzan Blackstrap(it is new here) and like it a lot- like the molasses taste, probably proves my appreciation of rums is still in the beginner stage.- I'vehad a bit of a mania in buying rums to taste them and have 20 bottles- pretty much the spectrum available around here-in Oregon So far i really like most of them, but don't really taste all the things described by those more experienced- favorite so far is the Planters Pyrat XO- I was also surprised that I like the Bacardi 8 so much- and of coarse i also really like the Gosling Black Seal 80 proof, and the Whalers rare dark is great too- some of the less expensive are among my favorites.

• 1 year later...

I picked up a couple of liters while in St Thomas (along with some "worthier" rums). The person packing my purchase asked me how I drank the Blackstrap. When I told him mixed, he gave me a very disgusted look and suggested that I try it on the rocks with a twist of lime (which I haven't done yet).

Love the Navy Blackstrap! I drink it both on ice and with cola or ginger beer. Kind of like alcoholic molasses. A stronger taste than the Black Seal (which I also love). I disagree that it should only be used as a floater, but that's why there so many different kinds of rums.

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

Cruzan's Blackstrap is very different from most caramel colored rums. The molasses taste really comes through. Though I don't drink this one on the rocks, it could be drunk that way. Alcoholic molasses is a pretty good concise description. As for where to find Blackstrap, I recently found it at Hi Time in Costa Mesa.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

• 3 months later...

I am very lucky that my sister and her husband live down in St.Croix and have given me 5 or 6 different bottles of rum from the island. The surprise was the Cruzan Blackstrap. I have always enjoyed sipping rum but this rum on ice is just amazing. Very dark, smoky molasses taste comes through with sweet aftertaste. This in unlike any other rum I have had before and from what I understand it is much more like original rum handed out on sailing ships to sailors. (Rumor?)

I've also mixed it with orange juice and club soda the resulting drink is brown and delicious. But really it is so great on the rocks.

One bar that serves it in Chicago is Redfish on State near the House of Blues.

I will probably have my sister send me a case around Christmas time.

Murray Stenson at Zig Zag Cafe here in Seattle suggested a drink made with Cruzan Blackstrap that I've found to be really amazing. Mix 2 ounces of the rum with around 1/4 to 1/2 ounce falernum, and the juice of 1/4 lime. Shake and strain into an ice-filled glass. I've been enjoying this all summer.

With Velvet Falernum, you only need to use about 1/4 ounce, but I've been playing around with homemade versions, and for these I like a bit more--1/2 ounce seems to work pretty well.

Paul

Paul Clarke

Seattle

The Cocktail Chronicles