• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cafe de Paris VS Le Crocodile

boris

Dear friends,

My wife and I are looking at dining at either of these two restaurants, and are mainly trolling for recent updates. I realize Le Croc is more elegant and refined, and Cafe de Paris is going to more closely approximate a bistro. Are they as I remember them 5 years ago? Have there been any new revelations?

Getting down to basics, which one would YOU suggest.

Thanks,

Mark E

My money gets spent at Le Crocodile. Many, many memorable meals by Michel Jacob and his crew. He is about to change the menu so there are always interesting daily additions to an already wonderful menu.

Enjoy.

"Expect nothing, be prepared for anything."

I would say definitely Le Crocodile. It isn't the same as it was 5 years ago--I think it's come under new ownership since then. The last time I went, I was with my family, and the service was okay--until the waiter snapped at us. After serving us the food, he asked if it was okay and we said yes. About 5 minutes later, my grandma said that her lobster bisque was way too salty (and it was). We called the waiter over and let him know that the lobster bisque was too salty, to which he replied, "Well you should have told me earlier when I asked you." After saying this, he spun on his heels and walked briskly away. And we haven't been back since. It used to be my uncle's favourite Parisian bistro.

I would say definitely Le Crocodile. It isn't the same as it was 5 years ago--I think it's come under new ownership since then. The last time I went, I was with my family, and the service was okay--until the waiter snapped at us. After serving us the food, he asked if it was okay and we said yes. About 5 minutes later, my grandma said that her lobster bisque was way too salty (and it was). We called the waiter over and let him know that the lobster bisque was too salty, to which he replied, "Well you should have told me earlier when I asked you." After saying this, he spun on his heels and walked briskly away. And we haven't been back since. It used to be my uncle's favourite Parisian bistro.

Chocomoo,

I'm sorry but I'm not clear. :unsure:

Was Pastis or Cafe de Paris the resto that gave you trouble? I assume it wasn't Le Crocodile, since you started off your post praising it. I thank you in advance for the clarification. :smile:

Mark E.

I am biased, but Crocodile is the choice, clearly. The daily choices are a good pick. Don't let them rush you or intimidate you; talk to the waiter to better understand what the daily choices are.

If you like game/meat, I will repeat it again- they have great venisson, buffalo, elk, quail.

"I hate people who are not serious about their meals." Oscar Wilde

Chocomoo,

I'm sorry but I'm not clear.  :unsure:

Was Pastis or Cafe de Paris the resto that gave you trouble? I assume it wasn't Le Crocodile, since you started off your post praising it. I thank you in advance for the clarification. :smile:

Mark E.

It was Cafe de Paris that gave us really bad service. I don't know if it's been mentioned on eGullet before, but I think La Regalade in West Van is a nice Parisian bistro. In fact, I'm going there on Thursday for my birthday (which was last Sunday).

Edited by chocomoo (log)

• 3 weeks later...

They are two rather different restaurants (although French) but if I was to choose I would definitely go with Le Croc. Service is fantastic, the servers are "career servers" who really know their stuff. I find there's always enough buzz in the restaurant that gives a nice ambiance and the specials are very diverse. The little crocodile chocolate at the end is always a nice touch.

ahh where's the button for the fries?

No comparison - if you want quality, go to Le Croc. I used to be a regular at Cafe De Paris back when I was living in the West End, but that was several owners ago. On a visit a few months ago, I was served a terrible meal - which I didn't eat - and they didn't even try to make it right. The kitchen is not what it used to be by a long shot, and neither is the front of house. Better to spend the extra for Le Croc.

Too bad, I used to love C de P's steak frites with extra peppercorn sauce....

Hong Kong Dave

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.