• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Winter Beers in the Snow

Rich Pawlak

Sue, Where in Florida are you now living? I have been able to find Bigfoot in Fort Lauderdale. Also, Big Bear Brewing in Coral Springs (we have been there) took the GABF gold in 2002 for their belgian dubbel.

We are south of Daytona Beach. We have found some Bigfoot, no 2004 yet, but that's about all. No Christmas beers. Is Big Bear Brewing where we met you in Coral Springs? I didn't think that place was still there. I wasn't so upset about not having the beer selection until I started reading all this that you are talking about... You are making me crave it.

Tell me about the brew pubs and microbreweries in Tampa, please. We like Tampa and it's within three hours from here.

I will somehow try to repay anybody who will get a beer shipping box and hook me up with some good beer. I'm not sure how... but I'll think of something! Fresh locally caught shrimp, or stone crab claws? Or fresh locally grown mangoes? Key Limes? Citrus? I am willing to negociate!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

We are south of Daytona Beach. We have found some Bigfoot, no 2004 yet, but that's about all. No Christmas beers.

Ever think about e-mailing Anchor and seeing if they have any distributors in the Daytona area?

Big Bear is the place we went to in Coral Springs.

Sue,

How far is Daytona from Melbourne? Charlie and Jake's Bar-B-Q, right off I-95 has a pale ale that is a must have (former GABF silver). My brother likes Tapma Bay Brewing and Dunedin Brewing.

Melbourne is maybe an hour and a quarter to an hour and a half from us. Russ's sister lives there. Thanks for the ideas, I'm thinking maybe there is hope after all. Lloyd, if there were a TV show, Beer Survivor, you would be the winner and the star.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I found some of the Deus. OMG. its magnificent.

I'm gonna go over and buy up a few bottles, and take one to an foodie event I'm going to tomorrow. I think this would pair with food just fabulously...

Born Free, Now Expensive

Picked up a sixer of Weyerbacher Winter Ale, from Weyerbacher Brewing Co., Easton, PA, the other day, and finally cracked one open on Friday night just before our weekly beer chat on Starchat.net , The No Bull Inn (11:00 PM EST). Great label on this one, pilfering snowmen hauling away cases of beer from a beer ambush, hilarious.

The beer pours dark brown into the glass, with a pretty thin head that dissipates quickly. Chocolatey aromas abound, and I swear it smells like mole', with a hint of pepper that's hardly subtle. First sip has all that chocolate and more, burnt pie crust and some smoke, and a little peat. Although it says it's only 6.1 ABV, it feels like a lot more, and a after a few sips, it feels like it's going to pack a whallop. It's a malty one, this Weyerbacher, and this winter brew begs for a cigar too. Wish I could smoke in the house. As it warms, hints of orange peel and almonds appear and it leaves a nice chest warmth too, by the time the glass is empty. A very nice winter beer indeed.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Finally openined this year's Harpoon Winter Warmer, from Harpoon Brewing Co., Boston, MA, and what a cinnamon stick! If this is the scent, aroma and flavor that arouses men most, then this should definitely do the trick, but the cinnamon and spice in this brew makes it almost undrinkable. I think this may best be served over ice cream, or with some ice cream in a beer float. It looks tasty enough, rich coppery-orange, with a decent off-white head that fades fairly quickly. And the intial aroma could fill a small room. But it's pretty hard to get through this glass without wanting to rinse one's mouth with water, just to quell the overwrought cinnamon. Woosh! An Altoid of a beer.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

Had a mini winter beer fest tonight with a few friends. Among the six beers we had, two were from Dogfish. The IPA was very good but the chickory stout stole the show. Probably the most complex beer I've ever tasted. The taste and chaacter of the beer changed as it warmed up a bit. Definitely going to pick up some more of the chickory stout.

Of the other four which included Red Hook Winterhook, Brooklyn Chocolate Stout, Red Hook Blackhook Porter and Sierra Nevada Celebration, the Brooklyn was the most enjoyable. I've always enjoyed the Blackhook Porter but it seemed completely outclassed by the others tonight.

Our goal is to taste as many different beers as there are bowl games. Back to the beer distributor tomorrow.

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

My friend from Alaska did bring me some of the famous Alaskan Smoked Porter! Talk about a winter warmer!

Woo hooooo! That is some great stuff. :wub:

I stink at tasting notes, but I'll give it a try. Last night I tried Corsendonk Christmas Ale. This was too sweet for me to have more than one. Lightly spicey, honey like almost caramel warmth, a strong alcohol presence, a bit fruity and hoppy. Very enjoyable.

Had a Pyramid Snow Cap from Washington state last night, and it was a almost syrupy sweet malt monster, with nice big gulps of dates and almonds in the first few sips, followed by lots of black strap molasses, building and building as the sips continued. Not a bad beer at all, mind you, but a bit too much on the sticky side for me. I think a few bottles of this may be perfect in my next oil change.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

Had a Pyramid Snow Cap from Washington state last night, and it was a almost syrupy sweet malt monster, with nice big gulps of dates and almonds in the first few sips, followed by lots of black strap molasses, building and building as the sips continued. Not a bad beer at all, mind you, but a bit too much on the sticky side for me. I think a few bottles of this may be perfect in my next oil change.

I've heard that Snow Cap has changed, and your description leads me to believe this might be true.

Snow Cap has differed radically over the years. I had one this year, and didn't really pay much attention :-/ but it didn't stick in my memory so it must not be too special.

I remember years past where it was a dark hoppy thing, no spice or sweetness anywhere.

Born Free, Now Expensive

Had MacTarnahan's Mac Frost Winter Ale last week, got it in a Christmas basket from a friend. The label description gives the indication that it is a hoppy fest beer, but that is not what I tasted. It was very caramely, with hints of candi sugar and slight fruit notes, almost Dubbel-like in flavor. I was very pleasantly surprised that it was not the over hopped same old same old that seems to be popular now as holiday cheer.

On the other hand, I also had the Clipper City Winter offering and it was loaded with hops, citrusy, grape fruit-like American hops, but too overblown, in fact the body was not as full as the aroma would suggest and the beer finished somewhat dry. I liked it, but liked the Mac Frost better! :biggrin:

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

I was very pleasantly surprised that it was not the over hopped same old same old that seems to be popular now as holiday cheer.

What's wrong with over hopped?! I don't understand!! :raz:

I had a Mac Frost last night. Lovely. very well balanced. I think I need to seek this out on tap somewhere...

Born Free, Now Expensive

Oh, I like hops alright, in fact my favorite seasonal is Celebration, but it seems that a lot of seasonals are Celebration wannabes and they can't do it! That's why it is refreshing to have a winter ale that is not overly hopped or spiced like curry!

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

I admit that the Pyramid Snow Cap may be a bit sweeter this year than years past. I still do enjoy it in moderation, though. It's thick, rich, malty and rides at 7%.

Deschutes Jubelale and the Snoqualmie Winterfest are quite tasty this year, also. The Jubelale has slight hints of nutmeg to round out the malts. Very nice and not overwhelming at all. As far as I'm concerend, you can't go wrong with any Snoqualmie product (their IPA is one of my all time favs). The winter's lightly roasted malts are superbly balanced by its hop content. VERY TASTY!

The true winner this year in ol' Seattle is the Maritime Pacific Jolly Roger on cask. This is one fine bear produced by one fine brewery (try their dry hopped pale ale). Lightly hopped, very carmely and not sugar sweet as in years past.

All I can say is git 'em while you can boys and gurls. They won't be around much longer!

Some tasting notes of "winter" beers (not from one sitting - grin):

2000 Alesmith Grand Cru. 750ml corked bottle. Cellared since release. Pours a gorgeous copper/brown with a thick and creamy lace head that clings and clings... A nice spice/citrus nose. Some sweet fruit esters (pluot?) with a strong alcohol note. The beer is incredibly smooth. The first taste is actually a bit shocking given expectations. Very creamy and polished, with sweet (caramel?) and spicy notes. The alcohol is mellow and nearly hidden. Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy. Strong notes of malt and yeast. A very very complex beer. Strongest flavours are of spice (coriander?) and fruit. Complex, beautiful, thought-provoking. Not a beer to chug, not a beer for the hophead in us all - but rather a beer for an evening in front of the fire with a nice book. Wonderful.

Brooklyn Brewery Black Chocolate Stout. 16oz bottle. Cellared since winter 2002 release. For a long time, this was my benchmark for American Imperial Stouts. Now that I've tried more stouts - and in particular some of the West Coast Imperials and Chocolates - I have to say that I don't know if I would categorize this beer as a true "Imperial" (though it's also not a traditional Chocolate Stout either). It, like the Storm King Stout, is its own beast. And, again like the Storm King, what a phenomonal beast it is!!! In this case, the bottle was from the Winter '02/'03 batch. When I first tasted it, it was still a bit raw. After a year of cellaring, it's improved dramatically. The initial pour shows a enormous tan and creamy head on top of beer of the deepest and darkest black. The head slowly diminishes to a quite thick and sticky lace. Aromas are of malted chocolate balls, toasty grain, alcohol and a hint of espresso. As good as the appearance is, the smell may even be better. Initial tastes are sweet and chocolaty - a rich almost "fudge-like" flavor that could be cloying in some beers, but is balanced by the crisp (and somewhat unexpected) carbonation, alcohol bite and the slight undercurrent of hops. The finish is of a tart and nearly bitter chocolate-malt that is dry and lingers seemingly forever. This is a great stout. Like the Storm King, I don't imagine anyone seeing it as a session beer. But as a treat - this is a wonderful one.

Unibroue 11. 750ml bottle. Cellared since release. With each beer from Unibroue I taste I become more convinced that this is one of the top 100 breweries in the entire world. With the Unibroue 11, I feel that the brewery has elevated themselves into serious consideration for top 25 status. It's that good. Initial pour shows some serious carbonation, creating a very active beer whose pour results in a massive white head. I would guess that it would subside to a sticky lace, but I simply didn't have the patience to wait that long. The beer itself is a beautiful orange-gold with a very slight hazing (chill? yeast? wheat?). A seriously attractive brew!! I started drooling just looking at it. Aromas are strong, with some tropical fruit notes on top of the appetizing honey-malt bread smells (like a fresh baguette with honey but no butter). There are citric and herb hints and a tiny whisper of alcohol present as well. No off notes in the nose at all. Perhaps it was the smell that made me lose my mind and drink before the head settled!! The first taste is ambrosial - smooth, with the tropical fruit, and honeyed bread notes from the aroma continuing into the taste. The citric/herb notes are more dominant here than in the smell and serve well to tie together the fruits, malts and grains. The strength and complexity of the flavors, combined with the aggressive carbonation, does an excellent job of camoflaging the alcohol, though there is a "snap" and warmth in the finish that should clue you in to the sting in the tail of this beast of a beer. The flavor profile is weighted towards the middle of the palate and the taste, resulting in a beer that teases, explodes, and then tapers. Perfection in a bottle. Beware!! There is danger in a beer with 11% ABV in a 750ml bottle. It's just never going to be a session beer for me (call me a lightweight if you want). Anyone who thinks that there are no great (not good, but truly great) Belgian style beers from outside Belgium needs to try this beer. It's truly and authentically Belgian in style, and near to perfection in its execution. Lovely, seductive, intoxicating and oh so dangerous.

Edited by malachi (log)

fanatic...

Unibroue 11. (snip) Lovely, seductive, intoxicating and oh so dangerous.

anytime somebody waxes this enthusiatically about a beer, I just gotta try it. hell, those last words alone will make me try it!

great reviews, thanks

Born Free, Now Expensive

I cracked open my first beer from the 2003 Christmas Mix, and it was the bottle we knew least about, the Pivovar Klaster Winter Lager, from the Czech Republic. Bright green bottle, with the image of a happy little imbibing monk in the corner of the label.

The beer poured clear and golden, with a big pillowy white head. Big skunky aroma, like some of those Belgian boon guezes that have that "horse blanket" smell (yeah, that's not what I call it either). This is one funky pilsner, with a lot going on the first sip, including a little alcohol burn. It's only 5.8 abv, so I wonder why. Kinda tastes like some of those "funky" guezes too, a little like grappa (well, bad grappa anyway), a little like Czech slivovitz, that plum brandy firewater, and then something like beer, but one funkadelic beer. As the beer warms , it does get a bit softer around the edges, but this is either a completely skunked import, or one roller coaster of a George Clinton of a beer.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

Opened my second beer from the Christmas Mix, this year's Avery's Old Jubilation, one of my very favorite winter beers, from Avery Brewing Co. in Boulder CO.

It poured very dark copper-red into the glass with a dense, dark tan head that hung around for a while. Big estery aromas of pie crust and molasses, almost like Amish Shoo Fly Pie, if you've ever had that. Delightful. Big, sweet, roasty first sip, with tastes of roasted chestnuts, almonds, nutmeg and dates. A nice bite of hops and a big bowl of malt in perfect balance. I'm glad I have a few bottles of this, from participation in another Holiday Mix case, it's just too good to drink just one per winter.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large