• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

indian rums

mongo_jones

i guess that post was a bit of a non-sequitur. i meant to ask: have people here had any experience with indian rums? old monk or otherwise? what is your estimation of them? serious rum drinking friends in india scoff at the caribbean rums i take back for them on trips. i can't tell if this is nationalist fervor working its way out (not unlikely for a couple of them) or if this high opinion of indian rums is shared by aficionados elsewhere as well. or is it the case, as with so much else, that indian rums aren't that well known outside india?

I have seen this rum in several shops in Germany, and it is still on my wishlist. So I can't give you a review, but it is known outside India!

john, are you in germany? if you lived in colorado i would bring you back a bottle on my next trip home (i leave in a week). i usually bring two bottles back each time--however, i already have a nice little stock-pile since my parents visited twice in the last 2 years.

No, I live in the Netherlands, the southern part. And from my house it is about a five minute drive to the German border. And I can make it to Cologne in under an hour. So sometimes I make that trip to add to my collection :rolleyes:

Last time the most important addition (for me) was the Coronation Khukri. I thought is was only for sale through a Britain shop (which never answered my request for information), so you can imagine how happy I was to find it!

• 3 weeks later...

Again missed this one :biggrin: You are indeed correct - Most locals do not appreciate the rums from the islands, because the canteen variety XXX Rums in India are strong and have a very strong smell of the sugarcane.

It is not easy of develop a strong affinity for Indian Rums; definitely an acquired appreciation. I admit that I do not miss those Army Issue XXX Rums anymore.

Lighter Rums also are not that popular in India. Rums are a legacy from the Colonial days -- :smile:

anil

While not technically an Indian rum, I understand Khukri from Nepal is really good stuff.

http://khukrirum.com

I havent found it in the US yet, though.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

While not technically an Indian rum, I understand Khukri from Nepal is really good stuff.

Hmm if I find it in Feb I'l get one for you :smile:

Awesome. I'll gladly pay you for a few bottles!

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

The Sikkim rums are very popular in India. Teesta XXX, Black Cat, Striking Lion and XXX prize rum are the popular ones.These rums are column-distilled from fermented cane juice. I think the locals call it "Jaggery" :biggrin:

When I read about the evils of drinking rum...I stopped reading...because life is too short, so smile and enjoy yourself...

therumman@btinternet.com

It is! As said, I bought a couple of bottles in Cologne, and I love it. Very smooth, a rich taste, just great!

But a question though: can anyone tell me if the rum in the dagger-shape bottle is the same as the rum in the regular bottle?

Edited by John von Pey (log)

The Sikkim rums are very popular in India. Teesta XXX, Black Cat, Striking Lion and XXX prize rum are the popular ones.These rums are column-distilled from fermented cane juice. I think the locals call it "Jaggery" :biggrin:

Black cat? That's not an Indian rum, it's a Suriunam rum...

Khukri: In Hindi/Nepali means a dagger (popular with the Gurkha Brigade of the British Army)

Jaggery: Is actually cane sugar, also called "gur" in many indian languages - The brown lump of cane sugar is popular as substitute for refined white sugar in india.

[Edited to correct early morning-half-awake typos ]

Edited by anil (log)

anil

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This discussion goes to show that we tend to drink what are used to. Sailing friends bring Indian rums to the Caribbean, among them Old Monk, and they insist that they develop a taste for the Indian rums while they can't get Caribbean rums.

My impression of Indian rums is that they are typically quite musty, with heavy overtones of smoke, dried fruit and are quite dry. I don't drink them all the time but have enjoyed a number of them with friends.

Expand your horizons.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.