• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Choices

docsconz

Today is my son's 14th b-day. He has asked me to cook him a steak dinner tonight with mashed potatoes. I will be broiling some nice dry-aged strip steaks with pepper and parmagiano on top and serving that with parmagiano mashed potatoes (his favorite) and spinach sauteed with garlic and a bit of bacon and pignoli. A cheese course with epoisses and raw-milk petite reblochon to follow.

I generally like to open a bottle from the birth year on my children's birthdays. For this son the vintage is 1989. The bottles I'm considering for tonight include Rombauer Cab, Ch. Rausan-Segla, and two different Hermitages- Chave and Jaboulet's La Chapelle.

The weather here is cold and snowy.

Thoughts? Recommendations? I already took a little extra Pravachol :wink:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I am having an entrecote tonight with the 1983 La Chapelle that I just got for around 120 dollars a bottle which seems like a steal for such an old wine since the current vintages cost around 100. Will report back how it matchs with the meat (which I am serving pan roasted with olive oiled boiled shallots as the only garnish since I found some very special aged meat).

Mark, hanks for the response. The Hermitages are clearly the finest of the bunch. Fortunately, I will still have whatever I don't use tonight for future occasions. I guess the question I should have asked is which of these wines do you (or anyone else) think is closest to its peak. I was sort of leaning to the Rausan Segla, thinking that that is probably most ready to drink (other than the Rombauer). Any of these would probably go well with the food.

I may use your recommendation regarding the steaks. In the past I've broiled them to good effect, but pan-roasting may be a better option. I'll sear them on the stove first then put them in convection roast at 400* for about 7 minutes or so, putting the parmagiano on top before putting them in the oven. I'll then saute some shallots and oyster mushrooms in the pan drippings while letting the steaks rest.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

My two cents........

I'd be afraid of the 89 Rombauer. The 89 cabs , in general were pretty uneven in quality. It may just have a lot of tannin and the fruit may be gone.

The Rauzan segla should be a knockout, and have just the right balance for your menu.

as far as the La Chapelle, and Chave.............patience

I wavered and opened the Chaves. I did it because I have a few more and I was curious. I'll post a separate WTN.

Twitter - @docsconz