• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roasting over fire

jsolomon

So... I do a fair amount of grilling over charcoal. In one year, I have nearly worn out a chimney for starting charcoal. Looking at the bloody thing warm up (and roasting many a marshmallow during January in it) I came to the conclusion that this might be a good start for hand-roasting coffee.

Has anyone had any experience roasting over a charcoal fire? Over any non-petroleum-based flame?

If/when I get this going, I'll attempt to be sure and post some pictures and experiences.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Actually.... there's a guy who posts regularly on the Sweet Maria's mailing list who roasts over pecan wood and swears by it. Mr. Espresso, an Oakland CA based commercial roaster, uses oak to roast their espresso blend and they indicate that it's due to the evenness of the temperature that they do so. I don't think the taste of the oak is evident but they do make a mighty fine coffee and one that I really enjoyed before I got into home roasting.

You could use a rotisserie and perforated drum arrangement akin to what people use for gas grillroasting. I have also heard of people trying, with some success, the old fashioned popcorn poppers that are designed for making popcorn over a campfire or in a fireplace.