• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food shopping in Japan

torakris

MIDDLE EASTERN

Isuramu-nasuriin (Iran/Pakistan/Turkey/Malaysia/Indonesia/Saudi Arabia/Jordan/Syria) (Online shop)

http://nasuriin.easy-magic.com/user/

Teheran Shop ("real" shop--Yokohama)

http://niki-kitchen.web.infoseek.co.jp/iranian.html

Edited by torakris (log)

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

WOW, torakris! Just WOW! That's absolutely astonishing - what a clickety-click pleasure you've provided us with. Thanks a million!

Thanks! :biggrin:

I got the idea because when people find out that I really love cooking they always ask me "do you know where I can buy xxxxx in Japan?"

You might want to check back frequently because I am adding new places almost daily and they will not be shown as new posts rather they are edited in to the existing posts.

I really hope people can get use out of this!

BREADS

Pan de Euro (online--frozen bread from Spain)

http://www.style-i.net/spain/top.html

Moomin (Finnish bakery with some Finnish food products) ("real" store only--Tokyo)

http://www.chara-world.com/moomin_bc/main.html

Lists of bagel shops all over Japan and online shops as well

http://homepage3.nifty.com/bagel/japan/

Edited by torakris (log)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Wow, thanks for the info, what a lot of work! I live and work in Shanghai. Having just recently figured out how to get Japanese products into China, I am looking for sources. Perhaps you could point me in the right direction? I'm interested in retail sources as well as wholesale restaurant purveyors. Any help would be much appreciated!

• 3 months later...
:wacko: So much information. This is an excellent resource. The only stores that we have in my area (southeast Gunma) are Yamaya and Kaldi. There is a large community of Latin-Americans in Oizumi/Ota Area (around Nishi-koizumi station on the Tobu line) and there are a bunch of small stores selling all things latin. I can't be any more specific, but if you are ever in the area and happen to have an urgent need for arroz y habichuelas (Rice and beans) I know where you can find it.

• 2 months later...

We make our own humous, falafel and other dishes at home that require chickpeas.

Does anyone know any stores in the Tokyo area that sell dry chickpeas in bulk? I feel really silly always buying the small (and rather overpriced) packages available in places like Seijo Ishi.

We make our own humous, falafel and other dishes at home that require chickpeas.

Does anyone know any stores in the Tokyo area that sell dry chickpeas in bulk?  I feel really silly always buying the small (and rather overpriced) packages available in places like Seijo Ishi.

Way down the price list at the India Spice page, you can find chickpeas (channa) for only Y500 for 1 kg. It's in Kobe, not Tokyo, but they do mail order. Delivery of up to 10kg is Y1250, so if, for example, you bought 10kg at once, it would only Y625/kg. That's much cheaper than Tengu's chickpeas at Y1260/kg. I don't know what the going rate is in Tokyo, though.

• 11 months later...

Hmm. It's only been a year since the question was asked, but then I'm new around here. Are you still there, Bruce ?

Chickpeas (chana - kabuli chana if you want the middle-eastern/mediterranean variety) - this is an extract from a 2003 price list I have, but the prices don't really change. I've been using the supplier since mid-90's:

1. PULSES/DALS, PULSE ITEMS

Code No. Product Unit Pack Price/Unit Pack

1-01 Moong Bean, whole 1 Kg. ¥190

1-02 Moong Chilka 1 Kg. ¥190

1-03 Moong Dal split 1 Kg. ¥190

1-04 Masoor Bean, whole (Red Lentil) 1 Kg. ¥190

1-05 Masoor Dal, split ” 1 Kg. ¥190

1-06 Urad Bean, whole (Black Mat pea) 1 Kg. ¥190

1-07 Urad Chilka ” 1 Kg. ¥220

1-08 Urad Dal, split ” 1 Kg. ¥260

1-09 Chana, whole [brown] (Black Chickpea) 1 Kg. ¥190

1-10 Chana, whole [Green] ” 1 Kg. ¥190

1-11 Chana Dal, split ” 1 Kg. ¥190

1-12 Toor (Arhar) Dal, split 1 Kg. ¥520

1-13 Kabuli Chana, whole (White Chickpea) 1 Kg. ¥300

1-14 Lobia, whole (Black Eye bean) 1 Kg. ¥450

1-15 Rajmah, whole (Red Kidney bean) 1 Kg. ¥450

1-16 Besan 1 Kg. ¥450

1-17 Urad Dal Flour 1 Kg. ¥520

1-18 Bori (Small/Large/Spicy) 200g. ¥390

1-19 Soya Nuggets 300g. ¥390

I was lucky enough to get an introduction when I was working with an Indian colleague and asked him if he knew a good place to buy spices. Sonali Systems supplies the whole range of Indian spices as well as pulses, rice, ghee, pickles and so on. They have been in business here for close to thirty years and are a (the ?) major importer and supplier of Indian spices to hotels and restaurants in the Kanto area.

They are also prepared to take small-lot orders by telephone - shipping is free for orders over JPY10,000, otherwise JPY900 for a fairly large box delivered anywhere in Kanto (caveat: it's a while since I've ordered).

Tel 03-5920-7570

Nakadai 1-41-8

Itabashi-ku

Tokyo

---

Other than that, this is a great thread, Torakris. You've certainly covered my holy trinity of Hanamasa-Yamaya-Nisshin World Deli. Do you remember when it was 'Meat Rush', in a pokey little store before they built the big place ? :smile:

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

You've certainly covered my holy trinity of Hanamasa-Yamaya-Nisshin World Deli.  Do you remember when it was 'Meat Rush', in a pokey little store before they built the big place ?  :smile:

It is funny you mention those three stores if I had to pick a holy trinity as well, that would be it! Yes, I do remember the old 'Meat Rush' store. :biggrin:

Those price you listed above are incredible, I no longer have to bring beans back from the US.... Is the name of the place Sonali Systems?

Oh and a big welcome to eGullet!

Hi, Kris. Ha ha ! I had noticed your comment in your last summer's blog about bringing beans from the US, and wondered. Yes, the company is Sonali Systems (and the spice prices will get you, too): it's only because of this place that I got seriously back into Indian cooking here. (That and a shipped-from-the-US large-size (30cm) enamel cocotte ronde (sp?) - fry the onions without frying your kitchen, and get all the way to the oven with the same vessel).

The other big foreign food stores are lovely of course, but they they do help themselves with it, don't they ? :wink: Nisshin does too in many areas, but still keeps its edge in meat and certain veggies, with some good buys in the wine store (stuff that Yamaya doesn't carry) - and since they started stocking a decent aged cheddar I've been able to abandon National Azabu (sorry, NA).

There - was that fascinating reading ? We could really get into detail on food shopping, eh ?! Thanks for the welcome ! :biggrin:

Edit: I felt jealous about your sausage skins. Tokyu Hands have me captive :wink:

Edited by Blether (log)

• 1 year later...

Niki no Kashi

Chain of stores centering on Ameyoko/Ueno, but also elsewhere in Tokyo, Chiba and Saitama.

Google Map location of Ameyoko store

Our local one has been open a year, and has all the usual suspects, plus wholemeal rye flour, and things I can't find in other places like Kaldi or liquor wholesalers. Examples: Chinese/southeast Asian shrimp past, SAF yeast, big bags of raw almonds, spearmint rather than peppermint tea, etc. Not to mention enough dried squid legs and confectionery for my family to nickname the store "Nikibi no Kashi" (Zit Confectionery).

... "Nikibi no Kashi" (Zit Confectionery).

:biggrin:

SAF yeast is also avaiable at Cook-Y クックY, in the 500g pack for under a thousand yen, that makes the little box of one-use sachets that you see more often look rather forlorn.

Also good for coffee beans, frozen stuff and a range of amaze-the-unwary traditional Japanese kitchen equipment.

SAF yeast is also avaiable at Cook-Y クックY, in the 500g pack for under a thousand yen, that makes the little box of one-use sachets that you see more often look rather forlorn.

That is one of the most annoying websites I have ever looked at, and to top it off, I can't even close the frickin' tab for it unless I close my entire browser. What's up with that?

I do wish I could visit the store, though.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi, I will be visiting Osaka in December this year and I would really love to try some authentic Kobe Beef. Unfortunately, dining in a restaurant will be tricky since some are not beef eaters and not inclined to pay high prices. Thus I think my best option would be to pocure some at a butcher and cook it in the apartment. Are there any reputable butchers/supermarkets in the central Osaka area where I can get the genuine Japanese cattle?