• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Infusions, Extractions & Tinctures at Home: The Topic (Part 1)

herbacidal

If it's a full strength spirit, then no, there is no need to refrigerate, either during or after the infusion. In fact, heat can help speed up the infusion, but don't worry about that for now. 

image.jpg

Thank you everyone for all your advice; I was able to get the infusion started yesterday.  I ended up doing some blackberry and some huckleberry.  Hopefully in a few weeks I will have some nice tasting alcohol, as long as I didn’t somehow manage to screw it up.

Berries are quite delicate, I would check the infusions every couple days at least - they might be ready sooner than a few weeks.  Otherwise, looks good!

• 3 weeks later...

I've always done my infusions in the fridge. My fear is that the pieces bobbing up at the top might get moldy, though with all the alcohol fumes, maybe that's not a concern.

I've done blackberries and raspberries and the flavor is very mild. Strawberry is much stronger.

I just made a small batch of Death & Co's jalapeno-infused silver tequila. I can't get the specified tequila locally so I went for the affordable-but-acceptable Espolon instead. 

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

I just made a small batch of Death & Co's jalapeno-infused silver tequila. I can't get the specified tequila locally so I went for the affordable-but-acceptable Espolon instead. 

That sounds interesting and good, would you mind sharing how you did this?

That sounds interesting and good, would you mind sharing how you did this?

I made a small quantity but the base recipe falls for the ribs and seeds of four jalapenos, plus the chopped flesh of one jalapeno, to be infused in a bottle of silver tequila for about twenty minutes. You need to taste every so often to ensure the heat isn't overpowering.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

This amaro recipe from the Washington Post looks good.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/pb/recipes/amaro-cucciolo/13646/

But it calls for a 75.5% abv vodka. It admits, "You may use a lower-proof alcohol, [but] don't go below 100 proof, though; the effect of the alcohol on the spices will be reduced." Fair point, but with no instruction to cut with water after steeping and filtering out the solids (which would, granted, dilute the flavor intensity), that's a 50-70% abv product! Most commercial amari are in the 20%-35% abv range.

I want to try this recipe, but that high abv just doesn't seem right. Any thoughts?

that's a 50-70% abv product! Most commercial amari are in the 20%-35% abv range.

I want to try this recipe, but that high abv just doesn't seem right. Any thoughts?

If 3/4 of the volume contains 3/4 alcohol, then after adding the simple, it would be 9/16 alcohol, or 56% max. I'd find a 112 proof amaro pretty appealing, particularly if not too sweet.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

That recipe is very similar to one I've made several times and yes, it does come out around 50% ABV after the simple is added.  Very serious stuff, but that doesn't stop it being delicious.  And it improves as it ages.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

If 3/4 of the volume contains 3/4 alcohol, then after adding the simple, it would be 9/16 alcohol, or 56% max.

Oh, right—that recipe is 1/4 simple syrup!

And if starting with the lower abv base spirit of 50%, the final product's abv would be 37.5%, within the upper range of most commercially available amari in the U.S.

Very serious stuff, but that doesn't stop it being delicious.

Yeah, I think I'll try the higher-fire version first and see what that does.

• 3 weeks later...

So I got all the ingredients for this amaro recipe—

http://www.washingtonpost.com/pb/recipes/amaro-cucciolo/13646/

—but I had to get liquid gentian root extract instead of gentian root, which was unavailable.

What would be the extract equivalent to the recipe's called-for 1/2 teaspoon of gentian root? The only info on the bottle is that the "botanical preparation ratio" is 1:4, and the ingredients are dried gentian root, distilled water and ethyl alcohol.

My guess is still 1/2 teaspoon, but I'm not sure. And of course I don't want to screw up this ingredient since it's the bittering agent, so too much could render the amaro unpalatable.

• 1 month later...

isi is faster, but sous vide is not bad either. I dunno if I agree about the isi being more intense though. Maybe I just put a lower ratio of solids to liquids in the isi vs. jars when I did SV or old fashioned infusing. I should probably be more scientific than I am...

[Host's note:  To avoid an excessive load on our servers this topic has been split.  The discussion continues here]

Edited by lesliec
Added host's note (log)