• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Infusions, Extractions & Tinctures at Home: The Topic (Part 1)

herbacidal

A report on my "Gazpacho" infused vodka -

I used one cucumber, one red onion, one jalapeno, and one red bell pepper in one fifth of vodka. It steeped for three days.

It was good, very smooth, and excellent in Bloody Mary's. Next time I would use less red onion and more jalapeno. It was pretty oniony.

I also served the vegetables at my party (marked well so people knew what they were getting into.) They were quite the topic of converstation. Everyone who tasted them had a pretty funny look on their face.

Thanks again for all the tips.

that sounds dammm good.

stratospheres above my habanero vodka.

sweet. now i got a more complex one to work on next.

glad it went well, shannon.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

So would the channel knife over the desired infused liquor, catching all of the citrus essential oils, be best?  I find that paring knives make removing zest from pith to be a real pain, stressing me out!

I suppose if you need to use a channel knife, then cutting the twist over the desired infusing liquor, or at least over the vessel it will be infused in, would be better then nothing. I agree that using a paring knife can be slightly more difficult then using a channel knife, but with just a little practice it really isn't that hard.

You want to first cut off the top and bottom half-inch of the lemon, and then cut slices of peel in a north-south direction. The peels should be about the width-length of your thumb. I find this a lot easier then trying to do a full spiral of the entire fruit in one fell swoop.

-Robert Hess

www.DrinkBoy.com

ok, i started infusing yesterday! the process of attempting to separate pith and peel was pretty arduous -- basically the whole inside of a buddha's hand is solid pith? or at any rate, something white and inedible and pith-like, no actual fruit or juice. so i wasn't able to pare all of it away from the peel, but hopefully it will turn out alright.

i used maybe 4/5 of a bottle of vodka, figuring that the citron _is_ pretty intense, as beans suggested. but in fact, i only managed to get the citron because i was in new york (my hometown) last week, but here in montreal (where i live) i don't think i'm going to be able to find any more if it turns out my infusion is too weak. yikes.

anyway, the infusion already seems to have a pretty strong fragrance and is taking on the citron's yellow color. is there a standard length of time one generally infuses for, just as a sort of reference point?

& thanks again for everyone's help!

molly

In my limited experience, two to three weeks for citrus fruits is adequate. I zested lemons and limes with a microplane, though, so I achieved the greater surface area discussed earlier in the thread. I guess by doing so I also lost a lot of the essential oils likewise discussed. So perhaps they evened out in the end...

I've been amazed to see Buddha's hand at grocery stores here in Pittsburgh a couple times. I balked at the $5+ price tag. If your experiment goes well, I may have to invest in one next time I see it.

the buddha's hand infusion sounds intriguing :hmmm:

i had carpacio w/ buddha's hand zest at a great new place (Blais, here in atlanta)

and it was really, startingly intense lemony flavor/aroma.(but not overpowering)

It ,pardon the pun,"kicked it up a notch"

b t

aargh. ok, my update:

i let the buddha's hand steep in the vodka for about a week... the flavor is pretty pronounced and strong, BUT it also definitely has a bitter aftertaste. presumably from all the pith i wasn't able to scrape away?

so i guess the question is, is it salvageable? or do i toss it?

alas and alack.

molly

Oh rats.

I wouldn't toss it, but find a mixer to compliment or lessen. (depends on how much you enjoy the bitterness -- I do know someone that does!)

For tart fruits, like raspberries sometimes, I have added mango to sweeten the mix a bit with excellent results. I just don't know what to do with bitter....

well, i tried it in a fairly sweet mixed drink (the evan), and the bitterness was still there, and it bothered me.

the only thing i can think of is maybe to just add simple syrup to the whole bottle and try to turn it into some kind of limoncello deal? would that even work?

better luck next time, i suppose. it's weird though because i know people have used buddha's hands before, but i have no idea how anyone avoids getting pith in there. unless the bitterness is just my imagination or unsophisticated palate. heh.

You could get rid of the bitter Buddha's hand vodka the way I got rid of cheap, bad tasting vodka back in college...just shoot it down and cringe. Then move on to your next infusion.

Last night I started another infusion. Pineapple. Can't wait till that is ready to drink.

Has anyone had any success using dried fruits (other than the dried cherries that have been mentioned in this thread) in your infusions? So far I've only used fresh fruit. The only time I've strayed from that is when I added some crystallized ginger to a lemon infusion, but that seems to have only given up its sweetness.

well, i tried it in a fairly sweet mixed drink (the evan), and the bitterness was still there, and it bothered me.

the only thing i can think of is maybe to just add simple syrup to the whole bottle and try to turn it into some kind of limoncello deal? would that even work?

better luck next time, i suppose. it's weird though because i know people have used buddha's hands before, but i have no idea how anyone avoids getting pith in there. unless the bitterness is just my imagination or unsophisticated palate. heh.

I've used buddhahand citron to make a limoncello type of drink. I cut strips of the zest from the fingers and main body with a really sharp paring knife. It isn't terrible bitter, but I actually like bitter, so who knows. You might try your simple syrup idea. I've also used it as part of the biscuit dipping syrup when I was making a tiramisu type dessert but with citrus curd and marscapone.

regards,

trillium

• 2 weeks later...
what is this exotic buddha's hand citron of which you speak? :smile:

gus:

Take a peek here.

Calling Miss cinnamonshops... !! How has your infusion been modified? Did you try the limoncello route with the addition of simple syrup?

For the holidays I often receive a complimentary bottle of vodka from the kind folks at Paramount. This year I got a 90 proof bottle which I decided to infuse and make into a sort of liqueur so it will be sipped in small quantities instead of consumed the normal frozen freezer storage, poured into a chilled cocktail glass and supplemented with cocktail onions route. I was sugaring some fresh johnny jump ups (I gave up at about two dozen) and used the slightly less than prime and just a tad wilted, fresh flowers for the infusion. I plucked the petals -- good thing I did as I found a mooching aphid while in this stem separation process. :angry:

They've been steeping for about 12 hours and the vodka is already turing a lovely violet colour.

If I have the chance to upload in our restaurant offices, I'll get busy with posting a few pictures. :smile:

I just finished infusing some vodka with fresh cranberries I hadn't used in a recipe and didn't want to go bad. At first I poked the fresh berries with a skewer, but then realized I could just slice them in half and toss them into the large wide mouthed jar I use for my infusions. Used about 1 cup of cranberries, sliced in half (across their width) to 750 ml of vodka. Two weeks later and the vodka turned a beautiful deep ruby color and smells a bit like cranberry juice. The berries had turned almost white over time. I added just a bit of superfine sugar to take the acrid edge off, strained through a filtering strainer and it's mighty tasty in Ginger Ale! :cool: Turns the drink a pretty color too.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

ha, i was just getting ready to post an update!

i did finally get around to adding some simple syrup, and i think it was successful! the bitterness might still be there, but i think now it just sort of melds into the slight bite of the alcohol.

i used about half of the infused vodka (so about 350ml) and added 1/2cup of 1:1 syrup. quite nice, very fragrant. now i have to find a proper bottle for it. with the other half of the vodka i'm thinking of trying to infuse it further with a different kind of citrus just to see what'll happen. maybe kumquats? does anyone else have suggestions for another citrus that might go well with the buddha's hand? i guess all citrus sort of goes together. anyway, i'll probably end up adding sugar to that one too, and then i'll have two varieties of 'cello. fun!

what are johnny jump-ups, by the way? i've always wondered. are they pansies? i didn't know they had a taste! and where did you get them at this time of year?!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I am fairly new to the infusing game aside from a past limoncello with blood oranges substituted experiment. It was delicious! I recently read Katie's Limoncello recipe and am very interested to try it also but that is another thread. For the moment, I am interested in trying my hand at some infused vodkas. Most confusing for me is figuring out some general guidelines but I guess that is why it is something of an art. A few questions:

What is the difference between Infused-Vodka, Aquavit and Schnapps? Recipes I have found all seem to be very similar. Are they basically the same thing?

I am experimenting with a few recipes:

Ginger/Lemongrass/Lime from Aquavit cookbook. Directions call for 6-8 week infusion. I let it infuse for 1 1/2 weeks and it is quite strong. Maybe too strong. It overpowers everything I try it in. I've tried it with Mango Nectar and also with OJ but it still takes over. Maybe that is just the way of the lemongrass. Should I have waited the full 6-8 weeks? Will the strong flavors mellow? I have read that for multiple flavor infusions it is better to infuse each individually and you will have more control over the final product. If I try this combo again, I am going to infuse each on their own.

Vanilla – I have seen recipes calling for anywhere from 1 to 4 weeks. After a week, I bought some Absolut Vanilla to compare. Mine was not quite as smooth. I added 1 tbsp liquid sugar (www.sugar-shots.com) and it smoothed it out nicely. Once I sorted this out, I definitely prefer the homemade. Is this cheating (to add sugar)?

Coffee – I haven’t found many recipes for this but general infusion guidelines call for anywhere from 24 hours to a week. After only 12 hours, it smells wonderful but taste-wise definitely needs the other 12. I worry that it will turn bitter if I leave it too long as in brewing. Is this a concern for infusing?

I have also read general guidelines for schnapps recommending up to 5 months! But I don't think I have the patience for this. It also leads me to come up with these distinctions: an infused-vodka is usually made in 24 hr to 2 wks, 2wks to 4 for citrus, aquavit 6-8 wks and schnapps 8+ wks. Does this sound about right? Can anyone help to sort me out?

Many thanks,

Natasha

p.s. Beans – I tried your Crème Brûlée Martini with my vanilla vodka and it was very tasty. I substituted the brown sugar rim for demerara sugar, though. The demerara added a wonderful crisp sugar crunch accent, almost like the real thing (especially since that is what I use for the real thing)! If you happen upon some or even turbinado sugar (aka sugar in the raw), I would recommend you give it a try.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

• 4 weeks later...
). He gave me some and we each put a few strands in bottles of Absolut and stuck them in our respective freezers. We just left the grass in the bottle. The result was a fresh, herbal taste that I loved. His ran out sooner than mine, so we were able to taste it over months and it continued to improve.

A friend of mine smuggled back a bottle of this stuff from Poland for me. You are correct - the herbacious flavor is indescribable and absolutely delicious.

Supposedly the "Buffalo Grass" has hallucinogenic properties, so it's classified as a drug and that's why it can't be imported. I never found that to be true, but I'm no chemist, so who knows what the make up of the actual grass is. Anyone here have any clues?

Certainly. Your Polish friends were having you on as regards any difficulty in importing the grass: it is native to North America. Its botanical name is Hierochloe odorata, and it is neither more nor less than the Sweetgrass used for smudges in various Native American purification rituals. You can order it online from any number of herbal suppliers.

Sorry to come to this so late - got here by way of the Flavored Syrups thread, and couldn't believe there was such a mystery about Bison Grass. I remember something similar when we were researching the chufa plant used in modern Horchata. I kept finding frantic queries on the web, references to it as "rare" and "unavailable" and so on - then I finally figured out what plant it was, and realized that not only is it not rare at all, but it is officially classified as a noxious invasive weed, and it grows all over the U.S., including my back yard.

Ginger/Lemongrass/Lime from Aquavit cookbook. Directions call for 6-8 week infusion. I let it infuse for 1 1/2 weeks and it is quite strong. Maybe too strong. It overpowers everything I try it in. I've tried it with Mango Nectar and also with OJ but it still takes over. Maybe that is just the way of the lemongrass. Should I have waited the full 6-8 weeks a try.

I wouldn't do more than one flavor per infusion personally, but that's just me.

Lemongrass has a very strong aroma.

I remember making tablatinis a few years ago.

IIRC, the drink wasn't too popular because we it was too strong.

If you like let it go the full 6-8 weeks.

When it comes time to use it, if you think it's too strong,

you can dilute the flavor with regular vodka.

It's what I ended up doing with my first habanero vodka.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

• 3 weeks later...

What is better to use in pepper infusions: dried, fresh, or a mix? Is there any sense in using a mix of peppers, or would the hottest pepper prevail over the qualities (Flavor notes other than blatant hotness) of the others?

At this point I'm thinking of four infusions: Pepper, mixed citrus, mixed berry, and maybe a Jolly Rancher infusion for the roommates. That really felt like saying 'for the kids'. Ha! But seriously, they'll get a kick out of that.

I'd like to try the vanilla bourbon, too. Has anybody else done anything with infused bourbon? It seems like the challange here is to 1) pick an infusion that would complement the bourbon's flavors while 2) not overpowering or destroying them. As opposed to vodka where there's no inherent flavoring and you're trying to make something that tastes...like something!

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

Infusing vodka with citrus is certianly easy and works well. The skin of one lemon, orange, or grapefruit gives off enough oil to accent a liter of vodka. You can buy a channel knife for $2.50. The shallow scrape of the tool avoids the pith leaving the bitterness behind and makes a small enough piece that it can be shoved directly into the bottle rather than having to transfer the spirit into a larger jar. Kaffir lime leaves, pineapple, ginger, as well as pepper and horseradish work well. I am currently attempting sage, but I'll have to get back to you on it. Typically no more than a few days are needed before the flavor is noticable. I have also found that raspberries infuse well with gin, preferrably one with a high juniper content.

I'm a naturalist in regards to these things and must say that just the thought of infusing candy with vodka or adding sucrose makes my teeth ache. But, if you enjoy it then by all means continue.

Best.

I have experimented with both vodka and untaxed white whiskey. The best way I have found to get a flavor truly infused into the product is to warm the liquor over a low electric heat( do not use gas as a heat source) and add the desired flavor.

At this time of the year, I am using fresh blackberries.

I warm the liquor, add the fruit and let it steep for 30 minutes. Pour the mixture into Mason jars and let cool. Seal and let the jars age for three to six months.

I've tried this with oranges. limes, blackberries and fresh peaches with equal success.

I put a jar in the freezer for an hour before serving.

Enjoy

Blindog

Years ago, a friend in the liquor industry told me that Smirnoff and the much cheaper Popov are really the same thing. Think about it, since they come out of the same distillery, what would the distiller do differently and why? For infusing I'd bear in mind that vodka is basically vodka, a neutral grain spirit.

"Last week Uncle Vinnie came over from Sicily and we took him to the Olive Garden. The next day the family car exploded."

--Nick DePaolo

What is better to use in pepper infusions: dried, fresh, or a mix? Is there any sense in using a mix of peppers, or would the hottest pepper prevail over the qualities (Flavor notes other than blatant hotness) of the others?

At this point I'm thinking of four infusions: Pepper, mixed citrus, mixed berry, and maybe a Jolly Rancher infusion for the roommates. That really felt like saying 'for the kids'. Ha! But seriously, they'll get a kick out of that.

I'd like to try the vanilla bourbon, too. Has anybody else done anything with infused bourbon? It seems like the challange here is to 1) pick an infusion that would complement the bourbon's flavors while 2) not overpowering or destroying them. As opposed to vodka where there's no inherent flavoring and you're trying to make something that tastes...like something!

I recommeded doing this while back. Having worked in a restaurant with an active Pastry department, I just asked the Pastry Chef for the old scraped out vanilla pods (which they had in abundance) and threw a big handful into a few bottles of bourbon. Several months later it makes a tasty sipping bourbon or is delicious mixed with Coke.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I'd like to try the vanilla bourbon, too.  Has anybody else done anything with infused bourbon?  It seems like the challange here is to 1) pick an infusion that would complement the bourbon's flavors while 2) not overpowering or destroying them.  As opposed to vodka where there's no inherent flavoring and you're trying to make something that tastes...like something!

I recommeded doing this while back. Having worked in a restaurant with an active Pastry department, I just asked the Pastry Chef for the old scraped out vanilla pods (which they had in abundance) and threw a big handful into a few bottles of bourbon. Several months later it makes a tasty sipping bourbon or is delicious mixed with Coke.

Also good in a Samhattan.

--