• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

turkey keema curry

mongo_jones

a simple recipe with the blender handling almost all the prep work. results in a dish with a very nicely textured sauce and in very little clean-up:

ingredients:

blender- 1

tomato-1 medium

onion, red-1 medium

garlic cloves-6

ginger-1 1 inch peeled piece

red chilli powder: 1 heaped tspn

turmeric: 1 heaped tspn

ground black pepper: 1 heaped tspn

curry powder: 1 heaped tspn

coriander powder: 1 tspn

salt: to taste

put all of this into the blender and pulse to a coarse paste

heat some oil in a pan and add the following:

1 bay leaf

6 cloves

6 green cardamom pods

2 small pieces cinnamon

2 tablespns black peppercorns

once everything starts crackling add the paste from the blender, reduce heat to medium and saute till all the water has evaporated. while this is happening peel a couple of small potatoes and dice.

then add 1 lb or thereabouts ground turkey (not just white meat)

mix with the paste and keep sauteeing over medium heat till the turkey has lost the reddish color and all the water has again evaporated. add the potatoes. add 1/2 cup of peas. mix. add 2 cups of water, bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook, covered for about 20 minutes. check on the water every once in a while--if it dries up add some more. check for salt and add 1 tspn garam masala. return to a boil for a minute and serve hot with chapatis (ideal) or rice, with an accompany dal (ideally channa) and a green vegetable.

enjoy!

• 4 months later...

okay, because this is so good and so easy i made it again tonight. did i say it is good?

(for those in the u.s: the flavor of turkey from a natural food store like wild oats is sooooo much better than that of regular market ground--turkey--what do they do at the mega stores? wash the ground meat with a power hose?)

but i'd like to read other people's keema recipes. caveat: must be a simple preparation.

(for those in the u.s: the flavor of turkey from a natural food store like wild oats is sooooo much better than that of regular market ground--turkey--what do they do at the mega stores? wash the ground meat with a power hose?)

Any ground meat is tasteless from grocery stores...Usually fires up the meat grinder attachment on the trusty Kitchen Aid mixer and makes my own...Though there times when I'm just too durn lazy and buys preground...bleh...

but i'd like to read other people's keema recipes. caveat: must be a simple preparation.

I like to make keema a one-dish meal by adding toasted sev to it. I often use the pre-toasted "Bambino" brand. It should not be too much sev, just enough so that it is about half meat and half noodles. All this needs is some raita or kachumber. I like it.!

Edward

Edward Hamann

Cooking Teacher

Indian Cooking

edhamann@hotmail.com

Well, I have no recipe to contribute, but did want to say thank-you for the recipe, mongo. Because in reading the staff meal thread in the cooking forum, it occurs to me that this would be an excellent way to make use of chicken legs as well as other things. So, I'm squirreling it away for that reason, as well as to make it for myself. :wink:

Pat

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

pat, do let me know how it turns out as and when you do make it. especially if you do make it with non-ground meat. given the blender-izing involved i'm hesitant about the texture of the sauce without keema but practice trumps theoretical hesitancy every time.

But I would be grinding the meat first, by taking the chicken off the bone, and using the bones for stock instead while grinding up the muscle! :biggrin: Some of the posts in the staff meal thread hinted that if the legs were fabricated differently, it would be a whole new interesting dish to staff sick of whole legs.

Nonetheless, I'll report back when I have a chance to try it at home first.

Pat

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-