• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NJ snow

tommy

I dunno about y'all, you fair weather foodies, you're all wimps. Restaurants were empty tonight, it was wonderful! No cars on the road, and the cracker jack crew in Jersey City actually cleared a few streets. We paid a visit to one of those restaurants I swore never again a few too many times, Pronto Cena, downtown JC. Aside from bread that was apparently left over from Thursday, everything was impeccably good, even the service for once. Of course we didn't order the fish, which was also probably from Thursday.

During the week we checked out Marco & Pepe, which, despite reports of price gouging and lousy service, turned out to be wonderful experience all around. Even the normally grumpy owner came over and chatted. I've changed my mind so many times about this place, but I've finally come to the conclusion that it's definitely worth travelling a few miles or so to, as long as you avoid peak times. I doubt there's any place in Jersey that can match its casual European bistro atmosphere and food to match. And if you're a beer drinker, that's an extra bonus.

Well, despite what I said earlier, I cancelled my reservation tonight. (She wouldn't let me drive to Edgewater :angry:)

I guess it'll be fish for dinner ... my brother's 42 pound striper caught on Thursday.

i1564.jpg

There was a blurb about this in today's Asbury Park Press (Mike Faccas).

Just figured I'd share this with all you guys.

:D

What hot adult beverages might some of you be sipping this evening in NJ?

I'm down in DC and drowning my sorrows over our pathetic 3 inches in hot coco and Bailey's. Last night while the snow fell is was h.c. and chambord. Both were topped with lots and lots of whipped cream. We're not even going to get a snow day out of this, which is no fun.

It was absolutely beautiful here though. Nothing beats DC in the snow. My friend's dad used to joke that God made snow white so that the Capitol and White House would disappear once in a while.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I'm down in DC and drowning my sorrows over our pathetic 3 inches in hot coco and Bailey's

ah, but hillvalley you got jim cantore - we only had mike sidel up here(ignore if you are not weather channel freaks).

yesterday was my regular day off and made it to the fish store and pathmark in order to lay in clams, smoked salmon, halibut and turkey breast on sale. had beef bones and ground beef already.

made beef and turkey stock yesterday. roasted the turkey breasts and froze one.

had baked halibut and stuffed clams with frozen green beans. johnnybirds breakfast today was a smoked salmon and fried egg sandwich. i just had some hot cocoa and headed out to shovel the seven inches that had accumulated. lunch was fish sandwich for john and leftover stuffing with turkey breast, gravy and cranberry relish for lunch. made up a batch of french onion soup with the beef stock. froze two quarts of turkey stock then used third to poach some danish meatballs for a danish meatball soup served over egg noodles(john was craving egg noodles). had that after we came in from the second round of shoveling - 11 inches at that point and it looks like we may have gotten another 1-2 inches.

tomorrow will be french toast for breakfast, the onion soup for lunch and i have no idea what will be for dinner....

enjoy the snow(=mark your backyard looks an awful lot like mine!!!)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

- Steakas--

... my brother's 42 pound striper caught on Thursday.

That is some fishie!! Bet it has great cheeks. They could almost be 'cheek steaks'!

May I ask where he caught it? I assume the shore --but where?

Suzanne did you make it to Amma?

Having some Celestial Seasonings Decaf Mint tea. Not adult but warming. Just came in from walking home from another eGulleteer's house. Really beautiful out albeit getting a trifle nippy in Jersey.

We had some lovely sausage and peppers that his wife made and I brought a cranberry apple pie and chocolate walnut gelato(exactly what we needed-more cold stuff).

I spent yesterday in the kitchen getting ready for the sabbath. I had stocked up earlier in the week and didn't need to go shopping. Dinner last night was Butternut Squash soup, London Broil, potatoes and cauliflower, with concord grape sorbet for dessert. We drank the BN, and had lots of tea after dinner. Blovie made it to synagogue this morning -- I didn't. We had some chili for lunch (my updated take on cholent).

This evening we made our way to Brooklyn to attend First Saturday at the Brooklyn Museum of Art -- the first saturday night of every month they keep the museum open until 11 pm and admission is free. They show movies, have lectures, and even dancing with a live band. But tonight, they closed the museum at 8 due to the weather -- the bastards. :laugh:

I'm now sitting here with a huge cup of Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice. I suggested to Blovie we stop at the market to pick up some heavy cream so I could make some hot cocoa and he nixed the idea.

Can't wait to hit Riverside Park tomorrow. I love watching the dogs at the dog run.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I'm not in NJ, but I've got some mulled wine going. It's my first try. It sure smells good.

How did it turn out?

What a peaceful day...baked the "chip" cookies today..chocolate with no nuts, milk chocolate with nuts, and buttercotch/white chocolate. Tomorrow will be the cookie press ones...these all freeze well, so I can keep them stashed until its time to compose the cookie platters for friends and family.

Kim, how impressive with the cookies. My favorite kind of chip cookies are female chocolate chip... Just don't like nuts in my cookies for some reason.

Prime rib sure sounds like a nice second best to a pancetta wrapped leg of lamb!

Susan what part of FL are you in?

I am just south of Daytona Beach.

Rachel made a hot cocoa seasoned with orange zest and coffee today. Outstanding.

Jason, what kind of proportions did Rachel use? I would like to make that.

It was absolutely beautiful here though. Nothing beats DC in the snow.

You are so right. DC is beautiful with snow. LOL about your friend's dad's joke...

I enjoyed the ideas for all the drinks, cold and hot. Thanks! Last night we were so full from dinner when we took the walk, we didn't partake. I've got several ideas for all these cold nights coming up, when we have saved room. I'll keep you posted.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Rachel made a hot cocoa seasoned with orange zest and coffee today. Outstanding.

Jason, what kind of proportions did Rachel use? I would like to make that.

I beleive it was a regular Ghiradelli hot cocoa mix (you really could use any) made with milk. She made enough for two 12 ounce mugs. I think she grated the zest of 1 small orange, added it to the saucepan and added 1 teaspoon of ground coffee.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Actually, I added one large strip of orange zest (stripped with a peeler, not a zester), so it was easy to remove at the end. I thought the cocoa was a little sweet, that's why I added the teaspoon of coffee. This would be a good place for instant coffee, as straining the grounds out was a little messy and some grit got in the mugs.

steakas, that's only a 42 pounder?  It looks like it should weigh more.  Beauty though.

We cooked a 1/4 of it cajun, on a glowing red hot pan (1/2 of what I'm holding, 3 mins per side). Burnt butter, fire, what's better?

fish-filet-0001.jpg

We'll end up cooking another portion of it Monday. Awesome!

PS: it was caught by the Sandy Hook Bug Light

See my bro's article: Fish Here!

:D

Rachel and Jason, I enjoyed a cup of hot cocoa flavored with orange zest and coffee yesterday while I was writing out holiday cards! Thanks for the idea. I ended up buying instant espresso, and used a teaspoon of that.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Rachel and Jason, I enjoyed a cup of hot cocoa flavored with orange zest and coffee yesterday while I was writing out holiday cards! Thanks for the idea. I ended up buying instant espresso, and used a teaspoon of that.

Its a great flavor combo, isn't it?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I made a slightly modified version of Daniel's short ribs & celery root puree (based on what I had in the house) on Saturday night--it was amazing & just what the doctor ordered for a snowy, blustery evening.

I had the heat turned up to 75 to bake bread yesterday & it was probably 80 with the oven going, so we had tiki drinks with lots of ice!

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

Rachel and Jason, I enjoyed a cup of hot cocoa flavored with orange zest and coffee yesterday while I was writing out holiday cards!  Thanks for the idea.  I ended up buying instant espresso, and used a teaspoon of that.

Its a great flavor combo, isn't it?

Although I have a god espresso machien and pull grat shots at home regularly, it has to warm up for 45 - 60 minutes before use and I usually have it turned on only in the early AM. I keep a jar of Medaglia d'Oro instant espresso in the freezer for purposes like this and it's waaaaay better than instant coffee ro regular coffee for cooking.

On a side note: I'm a native of Syracuse and really know what snowstorms are like. I move back here several months ago but had plans in NYC this weekend. My friends were stunned when I decided to forge ahead with my travel plans. I found driving inbound on Rte 80 from the Delware Water Gap on Friday night to be a breeze and had no difficulty whatever managing to get into Hoboken for Saturday breakfast followed by a drive into the city for the rest of the day.

I was especially happy when one of the two eguleteers who had agreed to meet up for the Ethiopian Coffee Ceremony at Ghenet managed to appear (thanks Hiroko!). Good time had by all but I think the next visit will be in better weather as all my other plans were postponed or cancelled by those who had scheduled them.

Are you guys up there thawing out yet?

It's supposted to hit 50 on Wednesday, and then rain on Thursday so all the snow will be gone by the weekend. Today is a balmy 38.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs