• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rum in Mexico?

khoiberg

I'm visiting Mexico around Christmas. Specifically, we'll be in the northern central region - the colonial heartland.

Off chance question: does anyone know of any rums produced in Mexico that are worth seeking and/or trying?

Thanks

I have not had much luck with rum in Mexico..Its usually run of the mill bacardi..I think everyone is after tequilla when south of the border, and in Baja maybe some wine as they are starting to produce more/better wines now.

Actually, after tequila, brandy is the number two spirit. I really used to love all of the 'muy macho" brandy ads for El Presidente and the other top brands. Handsome guys surrounded by gorgeous women and all of them swilling brandy. Great stuff.

THere are a number of wineries producing good wine (and apparently getting better every year) at reasonable prices, although most of it seems to be consumed domestically. The largest winery is Cetto (I think) and not only is it located in the stunningly beautiful Valle Guadalupe (between Ensenada and Tecate) but it is also in the middle of the largest concentration of olive trees in the world (their claim, not mine, but there are a hell of a lot of olives down there). I regularly drove this road on the way to spend weekends at Bufadora and used to love the drive. Many of the wineries offer tours and are nice places to visit. You will also see tons of bicyclist and motorcycle guys touring the area as it is a great place to ride. Reasonably good roads and lots of stops. Here is a good list of the places that are generally open year round.

Great area to tour and if you are coming down from El Norte you might want to consider coming in throught the border crossing in Tecate. It is a great little town and has the best bakery in Northern Baja, aptly named El Mejor Pan. Tecate is an easy crossing, rarely more than a few cars and can actually speed up your trip across. The drive down through Jamul and East County San Diego is pleasant and you will not get stuck in all of that crossborder traffic at the Tijuana or Otay Mesa crossings. Usually less than 5 minutes.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

as Mayhaw says, Brandy is definitely the spirit of choice next to Tequila. Find yourself a few bottles of Azteca de Oro -- see my notes on this here:

http://www.egullet.com/?pg=ARTICLE-perlowbrandy

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Some Bacaradi is made in Mexico. But ... eh. I have developed a grand liking for Havana Club 5 or 7, and Ron Mathusalen, both Cuban, and both wonderful. Since you cannot get them at home, and they will draw and quarter you if you try to bring them across, that't what I'd suggest.

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

Thanks for people's advice on this! Not totally unexpected news: not much good rum in Mexico.

I have had one Mexican rum called Ron Mocambo Solera - not great - but a little change from Bacardi.

I guess I'll have to stick to tequila and mezcal for this trip....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I just returned from a trip to Cancun. There were some decent rums available in the stores, but I must have been shopping too close to the hotel zone as they were all $30 or more. Since my wife doesn't enjoy Tequila, I tried Ron Anejo Antillano, which is made somewhere in Mexico (approx $9 for a liter). It was okay as a mixer, but didn't have a ton of flavor. I did pick up some Flor de Cana 12 yr old at the airport Duty Free ($15), and they gave me a "free" Flor de Cana baseball cap!

I don't have the website at my fingertips, but the guys that maket Porfidio Tequila are making some rum from sugar cane juice and are trying to market it in the US and the UK. If you are near the Porfidio tequila distillery check them out.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

• 11 months later...
I don't have the website at my fingertips, but the guys that maket Porfidio Tequila are making some rum from sugar cane juice and are trying to market it in the US and the UK.  If you are near the Porfidio tequila distillery check them out.

HI guys this is my first message on this extraordinary forum

I've in front of me a bottle of Duque de Hoyos Gran Solera, 76proof made in Veracruz, aged in oak with "vinos de uva".