• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Noxious coconut

Betts

What is the eye and throat burning gas that's emitted from coconut as it is starting to brown. I have one sheet pan in the oven and it's problematic but what do the big guys do when it's a quantity recipe? I have a popular recipe for toasted coconut macadamia macaroons and they are simple except for the toasting step.

Also - is there a way to get almost perfectly evenly browned coconut?

Betts

What is the eye and throat burning gas that's emitted from coconut as it is starting to brown. I have one sheet pan in the oven and it's problematic but what do the big guys do when it's a quantity recipe? I have a popular recipe for toasted coconut macadamia macaroons and they are simple except for the toasting step.

Also - is there a way to get almost perfectly evenly browned coconut?

Betts

Very carefully with much moving around of the coconut shreds.

Once you start getting a lttle color that's when you start rotating and respreading the coconut to evenly color.

Once you get there spread the toasted coconut onto a cool pan or surface because it will continue to brown or cook if left on a hot pan.

As for the noxious fumes, I've never noticed them unless it was a fresh coconut that was beginning to rot.

Perhaps you're allergic?

2317/5000

This has happened every time I've made this recipe - upwards of 10 times and it is what makes frequent stirring an issue. Every time a fresh package of coconut. The fumes disappear about 10 minutes into the toasting and there is no problem when the cookies are baking.

This is more of a mystery than I thought.

For all who are interested .....I have a small catering business and these are VERY popular with customers.

Cconut Macadamia Macaroons

3 c sweetened flaked coconut

1 c salted macadamia nuts, chopped

2/3 c. sweetened condensed milk

1 tsp vanilla

2 egg whites

pinch salt

6 oz semisweet chocolate, melted

Preheat oven to 350. Toast coconut and macadamia nuts on sheet pan about 12 minutes, stirring frequently. Transfer to a bowl and add condensed milk and vanilla.

Line sheet pans with parchment. Beat egg whites and salt until stiff . Fold into coconut mixture. Scoop tablespoon sized mounds onto the lined baking sheets and bake about 10-12 min until pale golden. Cool.

Dip the bottoms in the melted chocolate and place on a fresh lined baking sheet.

Yield : approx 20

Notes:

Although the recipe specifies unsalted macadamias, personally I like the salt with the sweet contrast and use salted nuts

Edited by Betts (log)

No it's a chemical out gassing phenomenon and starts before there is any browning. Actually now that I am typing this, the fumes start to dissipate once browning gets underway and have disappeared once the toasting is complete. In 30 years of cooking this is the only recipe that I have dry roasted the coconut and the only problem with it.

I'm not worried about my health or safety when this happens and the result is worth the discomfort - it's just that either the coconut or me is odder than I thought.

Edited by Betts (log)

• 2 weeks later...

I solved the problem by lowering the the toasting temperature to 325 and adding time of course. No more fumes and a more even toast.

Although I do not have the definitive answer, I'd put money on sulfur as a culprit.

I highly recommend avoiding all products with sulfur dioxide. It's a noxious chemical and major component of smog, so why would anyone think it's good to eat?

Michael aka "Pan"