• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Evolving taste

John von Pey

Last year I bought a bottle of Bacardi Spiced, and loved it. But unfortunately Bacardi stopped production on this one. So I spared a second bottle for a special occasion. A month ago I found another bottle, bought it and decided that one spare bottle is enough.

Now I'm asking myself why I loved that rum so much :blink: A very strong, sweet vanilla taste. Abolutely not worth keeping for a special occasion...

My taste for rum has changed in a relatively short time (and I like to think it has "evolved"). I now prefer aged rums much more (my favourite is still Zacapa Centenario).

So, cheers to evolving taste!

A couple years ago this was one of my favorites. Since production ended I have only seen it here and there. I found it in a bar not too long ago and asked for it. I was amazed to find it wasn't near as good as I remembered.

Then again...I used to like Captain Morgan too and now I don't care for it. I guess I just didn't know what I was missing before.

Salud