• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best service you ever had

FistFullaRoux

These boards are full of rotten experiences with waitstaff or management at restaurants.

When was the last time anyone actually pulled a manager over to compliment the waitstaff or other employees? When was the last time someone blew your mind by doing a more than adequate job? Someone who was so on top of things that you wanted for nothing, and truly felt like a guest, rather than a visitor or a customer. This is even rarer in chain restaurants, but I have had several excellent experiences with super waitstaff at chain steakhouses and the McFunsters joints.

I make it a point to let management know that they have an asset in an employee. And I damn sure let them know if someone has screwed up big. I can let the little things slide, because life happens. But the major things, like getting the orders completely wrong or picking their nose while handling the silverware get my and the management's immediate discrete attention. If I need drink refills and am not being paid attention to (which is different that being seated in a slammed section), I've found that I only have to wander over to the water and iced tea pitchers or over to the bar to fill my glass once before someone is keeping a close eye on the fluid levels at the table. And if they are noticing that, they are getting everything else. My version of a gentle reminder.

I think the coolest thing I have ever seen done as far as "beyond the call of duty" service was the night that my wife and I went to a little local rest (great southern Italian place, we had been several times before), and as we were seated we were told by the manager that the chef had a medical emergency and was at the hospital. The manager said he was only seating his reservations, and the "assistant chef" was filling orders for the night. That being said, the meal was comped up front, as it was not the regular chef doing the work. I didn't have a problem with an "assistant" cooking, if they knew what they were doing. As it turns out, the assistant was a fine chef, the meal was very good, and the bar tab was even halved. That, my friends, is the way to do business. We immediately made arrangements to come back on another night. Where we were met with excellent service and outstanding food once again. And have every time we walk in the door. The manager even remembers us from that night, and usually takes care of dessert or appetizers for us.

This is a small local place where the most expensive entree is $27. And it is the way to do business, as far as I'm concerned. Turns out the assistant has now moved up to share duties and split hours with the head chef. They both do superb work. And we are now one of their regulars, and are treated like family.

Service does matter.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

My one trip to the French Laundry, some years ago now, was my finest service experience. It was like being waited on by ballerinas. There seems to be seven or eight folks involved in serving our table, and their movements were so graceful and precise it was as if they had been choreographed.

More kudos for TFL. I posted about this before but is very applicable to this thread.

This was my experience at the French Laundry 2 years ago. Made a reservation for 6. Frankly, I don't remember if they asked for a credit card or not. One of my friends got food poisoning/stomach virus the day of our reservation. We called about 2 hours ahead to let them know we'd be 5.

After ordering our dinner, my wife says that she is feeling very nauseated and is not sure if she can eat. Before any food arrives, we tell the waiter the situation. They immediately make her a pot of homegrown herb tea and tell her that they'd like to start her off with something not rich or heavily spiced and no problem, they'll deal with it if she decides not to eat. They bring her over completely different dishes than those served on the tasting menu and continue to monitor how she feels without ever making her feel uncomfortable. The staff notices that she is starting to taste the dishes from the tasting menu which the other 4 of us were enjoying. She starts eating more and more and the oohs and aahs are noticed by the staff. Without saying anything, they start to bring her dishes that are a bit richer and more highly seasoned and then some of the dishes from the tasting menu. They're handling was beyond reproach.

The biggest surprise was when we received the bill. They did not charge for my wife's dinner. We made sure that it was not in error and we were assured that it was not. The manager said that they hoped that she would return when she felt better to fully experience The French Laundry.

Another one for the French Laundry. Friends of our were there with their parents to celebrate an anniversary. At the last minute, their babysitter cancelled and they were forced to drag their 4 year old with them. When the host/hostess saw the child, she inquired about him without making them feel uncomfortable When told of the babysitter story, she had one of the staffmembers call their wife/girlfriend to come to the restaurant and play outside with the child until their dinner was over. He was also fed. (I doubt he had the oysters and pearls but I'm sure it was good). My friend attempted to pay the woman but she declined and said she was taken care of by the restaurant.

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

The most recent outstanding service episode had to be Canoe in Toronto.

Last seating on a Fri night and we were late. Our 4-top had been given away and we retreated to the bar while they prepared a table. They comped our cocktails and gave us the best table in the house. When one of our party asked regarding red wines by the glass - the server retreated to the bar and returned with 6 bottles and 6 glasses. gave her 6 pours and she choose the one she liked. We were the last ones to leave. At no time were any tables reset near us or did they hurry us in anyway. Ate a huge meal, a few comped desserts, and coffee refills without attitude.

Edited by GordonCooks (log)

Recently in Seattle, at my mother's restaurant of choice.

Our server charmed my mother, had a mischief twinkle in his eye and made every anticipated comfort possible for seamless service, from beginning to end.

We flat out announced we were there looking for the freshest dungies and some good wine to relax with a great dinner after tiring travels. A few fabulous recomendations/bottle(s) later, outstanding food and attentive service -- this was as perfect of a dining experience that could have been expected. After a cup and a half of coffee, the guest check was provided and settled, we were pleasantly surprised he had also made arrangements for our cab ride return to our hotel. Timing was on the spot.

Not having to go through the rigamorrow of asking for everything, each step of the way was what did it. Very soothing experience. In fact, he's Server-of the-Year at this moment. So, Michael of McCormick & Schmick's, you're the shit!

:cool:

Anniversary dinner at Jean-Georges in NY.

During the third course of a tasting meal a tray was dropped nearby and some glass were shattered on our table.

We were quickly moved to a new table and the staff apologized. Or current plates were replaced with the same item and a new bottle of wine was brought out. More apologies were handed out and we received some outstanding service after that and a couple of complimentary glasses of wine(+ some excellent food).

At the end of the meal, which I expected to be about $600 with wine, but excluding comped items, tax and tips, the waiter informed us that the meal was on the house and handed us a card with which to call for future reservations!

That was our first meal when we moved to NY, and our stay could not have begun better.

A stay in a Ryokan in Japan.

The ryokan only accepted group reservations(usually 15-20) people but by sheer luck me and my wife were also considered a group. We received some outstanding food for the weekend, but we also had a staff sized for handling 20 people take care of the two of us. I think I was the first Gaijin guest that they had ever had (at least they were not used to foreign guests) so the staff went the extra mile there too. In a country with some very good service that was the most outstanding that I ever received.

Edited by Sinbad (log)

I am a retired chef (business cafeteria) in the Denver Area. My boss put money in the budget a few years ago to send me to the National Rest. Show in Chicago. My wife and I decided to splurge and she went with me. I made reservations at The Ritz Carlton for sunday brunch and at Everest for a top drawer dinner. The service at both was the best we had experienced but two things stood out at Everest. At that time I was on several medications and as I started to take them after dinner one of the service team asked if I would like water without ice to take my pills. In the glow of one of the best two or three meals I have ever eaten I forgot my credit card. John Pierre (the maitre d ) called after we got back to the hotel, told me he had the card and before I could panic about the cab ride to get it,offered to come to the hotel and leave it at the desk. A very nice end to a great meal.

colestove

For Thanksgiving this year we went to B. Smith's at Union Station, Washington DC. Frankly, I don't expect much from holiday meal. They were great, though. There's two things that stand out service-wise. My mother-in-law has diabetes, and isn't the best at controlling it. Her blood sugar levels crashed as soon as we got there. I asked the hostess (who I know it's not her job!) if she could possibly get my MIL a glass of orange juice ASAP. We had it by the time we were settled in our chairs. Like I said, not her job, so I was very happy.

Later, my stomach was upset, requiring an (extended) visit to the facilities after eating, but before dessert. Despite the desserts being pre-ordered, the waiter waited till I came back to serve everyone. Considering I'm the last one to finish at the best of times, I very much appreciated it! A little thing, but requiring a clue on the part of the waiter. :smile:

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

After a meal at Truffles (in the Four Seasons, Toronto), the bus-boy, while clearing away the dishes asked " And how was your meal MR. ESTUFARIAN (but using my real name)". Any/every restaurant could do this for everybody who made a reservation - but how many do?

Great TFL story - I have always found the service excellent, but I think they are less formal now. On my third visit, happened last month, they were not doing the co-ordinated plate "set down and uncover thing" that they did on my first visit a few years ago.

Couple of places stand out for me - At Union Square Cafe in NYC a few years ago, deciding between two appetizers, I asked the waitress for advice. After I chose, she brought me both.

At a local place, Lark Creek in San Mateo, they have a few seats at a counter overlooking the salad prep area. Person was going flat out, prepping caesar salads and so on as the orders came in. I made a comment to my husband that the caesars looked good maybe I should have had one. I did not think any of our conversation could be heard. Next time a caesar was made, a little bowl of it was plopped down in front of me, the maker did not miss a beat and did not look up. Unfortunately the place is not as good as it used to be these days.

Our experience at French Laundry was a mixed bag. Four of us had a 9:30 seating on a Tuesday this past July; we arrived at 9:20 and checked in with the host, or so we thought. We were told to feel free to wait in the garden, and they would retrieve us when the table was ready. 20 minutes later, our friend checked in on the status of our seating. Whoever we checked in with evidently was not the host, and did not communicate that we had arrived. Our table was given away to someone else.

The host came over and was extremely contrite, offering either to rebook us on another night (not an option as our friends were visiting from Seattle, and it was already an hour-plus drive on a school night for us), or they would gladly seat us as soon as possible. He offered to take a little extra care of us and asked if we liked rich food (duh!). They also comped the wine pairings for the evening. Already things were looking up.

They began serving us champagne and amuse-bouches in the garden (which, I have to say, is a perfectly civilized way to start a meal!). A bottle and a few bites later, we were seated ... but at this time it was already nearly 10:30. Although some of the details were blurry by the next morning, we counted no fewer than 15 courses: Soups, salads, foie, fish, fowl, meat, dessert... it never seemed to end. We stumbled out of there at around 2 am, by far the last patrons and even outlasting the entire kitchen staff. But they certainly treated us like royalty.

The finest service I had was a Aqua, a couple of years earlier. Our server was almost psychic in her knowledge of our needs, always at our table the second we needed her and never when we didn't. At one point, we were considering ordering more sparkling water or something. We saw her across the room, with her back to us, serving another table. The second we said, sotto voce, "Oh, there she is," we saw her straighten and turn as if our thoughts had been transmitted to her directly. She did well by us that night.

Hedonia

Eating, drinking and living the good life in San Francisco

Top 5 Service Experiences for Me:

1. Charlie Trotter's

2. Inn at Little Washington

3. Lola's Tasting Room (Dallas, TX)

4. The French Laundry

5. Los Milagros (Puerto Vallarta, MX)

Here's an experience from Charlie Trotter's I posted on another thread:

The whole dining experience was impressive, clearly a step above any dining experience before. The level of service still is unmatched, I think. We had a fabulous captain. eg, at the end of the meal we had received some mignardises which included these small truffles which were fantastic. Some of the best truffles I'd ever had or have ever had (and this includes Gand's housemade truffles at Tru, which are fantastic). The captain was asking if there was anything else we wanted and I joked, "About 1000 more of of those truffles." The Captain didn't really laugh. He said something like, "Just a moment," and briskly left the table into the back. The murmering among our table started. Would he really be getting us more truffles? He must, maybe a couple more each. In a minute or two he returned. "We don't have 1000, sorry, but I hope 88 will do." Do? Hell, we were in heaven. 88 more truffles to split between the 5 of us. We also got a wonderful tour of the kitchen, without asking, and Trotter's studio for his TV show. They gave us nice copies of the menu. The captain answered a ton of questions about preparations and ingredients and never even needed to look at a notebook.

Every one of the places did something special along with wonderfully professional service. I@LW did lots of nice little things for us, but also did something special for the couple next to us, printing up personalized menus for the husband's birthday and surprising the couple with it. Plus some other birthday niceties.

LTR had stupendous course timing. We were cruising through the 15 courses (at only $65, now $75) and each course came out only minutes after the previous one. I bet we did all 15 courses in an hour. Then we were very impressed with one of the desserts and we mentioned how it was awesome and the guy went back and brought us each an additional gratis.

TFL stood out above every other Bay Area fine dining restaurant for service with impeccable course timing (most other places were very slow, even Danko's, Masa's, and Fifth Floor), but also went out of their way to give us a kitchen tour even though he was technically not supposed to. Then he even took our picture in the kitchen with the sous chef, I think.

Los Milagros was wonderful with great friendly service doing any little thing they could to make the experience special including dimming only to candlelight and flaming a lobster with tequila. Then they let me tour the whole restaurant the next day when they weren't open and take pictures. They talked with me and answered questions.

My best service experience was in Vancouver at West (then O'uest). It was in July, 2001 and we had friends visiting from England. We went in high spirits and looking forward to an excellent meal and a great evening. Just as we were seated one of our friends started to feel queasy. However, he didn't want to make a fuss and galantly looked at the menu and ordered hoping that it would pass.

By the time the 1st course came he knew that he could not eat dinner and had to go back home right away. We quietly explained this to the waiter. (By this time I am sure that the main course had been started in the kitchen.) The waiter immediately called a taxi and discretely informed us when it arrived. Our friend went home and his wife and the two of us stayed on for the remaining dinner.

The entree arrived at the table and this is where is where the restaurant showed its class act. The 3 entrees came, minus the entree for the sick friend. There was no question from the restaurant as to "what did we want to do with the 4th dish". The three of us continued on with dinner, dessert, etc. When the bill came, the restaurant had only charged us for 3 entrees. When we questioned the waiter - we were more than willing to pay for the 4th plate - they indicated that there was no charge.

Our friend was very embarrased by the situation, but throughout the entire evening the staff showed much discretion and class. We were so impressed that we went back a few days later when the illness had passed.

I have always enjoyed West for the food. However, because this treatment was so "above and beyond", it will remain as one of my favourite Vancouver eating spots.

Life is short, eat dessert first

Sounds like you all have had some great experiences.

One thing though, a lot of the stories of good service seem to revolve around dishes/whole meals being comped, extra freebies etc.

Is it necessary to get something for nothing to be great service?

Not every restaurant can afford to do that sort of thing, but some of them do have wonderful staff.

I do remember once, as a Kid on holiday in Greece having a drink in a small Taverna in Greece, in the small town up from where we were staying. It was getting late, and to our dismay, all the Taxi's had gone home. The waiter in the Taverna heard us, and insisted on driving home on his scooter, getting his car (Or he may have had to borrow one, can't rememember), coming back, then driving us home. We haden't even eaten there, and only had a couple of drinks. He refused to take any money, and unfortunately we never got to go back to the Taverna as it was getting to the end of our Holiday.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

One thing though, a lot of the stories of good service seem to revolve around dishes/whole meals being comped, extra freebies etc.

Is it necessary to get something for nothing to be great service?

Definitely not. I think the most important aspect of The French Laundry service experienced by me and my friends was that they went out of their way to make us feel comfortable in potentially uncomfortable situations. How much worse can you feel (everything relative of course) than to be so looking forward to what could be the greatest dinner in your life and after ordering the tasting menu you all of a sudden feel like barfing. No one at the restaurant showed any signs of being annoyed or put out and went on to make my wife feel special. Even if they charged for her meal, it would still have been our best service experience ever.

Unfortunately, too many other restaurants have service help who seem to be trained in things like giving dirty looks if you so much as show up and ask for your table without your entire party being present. They take what should be a pleasurable experience and make you feel uncomfortable.

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

No. Offering a discount or a freebie shows that the staff and management know that you may not have completely enjoyed the experience, and they want to make sure that you know that they know (Know what I mean?). A freebie, in my opinion is a better marker than a coupon for a future visit, because it at least does not look like the manager is trying to get another check out of you.

It's more along the lines of, "There was something wrong here, and we as an establishment don't feel comfortable charging you full price for something that we are not proud of. You are more important than the one guest check." That is the attitude that I like. Someone who takes care of their guests (never customers) and hold themselves to higher standards than a customer would.

But I do recommend pulling a manager aside to compliment a staff member on doing a job better than they are supposed to. Management in a lot of places hear about the bad ones, but rarely to they get to pay an employee a compliment. It may mean a few extra bucks down the road too, so it's worth it.

And Elyse, the place I was talking about is called Anthony's in Birmingham, Alabama. The best waitstaff, hands down, I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with. Although I have noticed that staff in non-touristy places in the south tend to be nicer, as a general kind of rule. Panama City Beach might as well be Chicago, but a little Italian place in Birmingham can have the best waiter I have ever drawn.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Years ago, six or eight of us went to a fancy-schmancy Greek restaurant in San Diego. One of the appetizers was Saganaki (fried cheese) except that it was finished with it being flamed at the table.

This waiter came out with the platter and ceremoniously lit the cheese to produce a lovely, bright flame. Then the flame caught and moved up the waiter's arm as hairs began to singe and the smell hit our nostrels.

With nary a shreik or panic, the waiter, already holding the lemon-half that is used to distinguise the flaming cheese, in one deft, sweeping motion began squeezing the juice down his arm to extinguish the flames, proceeding to the cheese on the platter.

It was a ballet movement that lasted ten or fifteen seconds at most and was the most elegant bit of unflustered service I ever remember.

The cheese tasted great and he got a huge tip.

It had to be a dinner my GF and I had at "Noodles", a now defunct restaurant in Toronto. My employer at the time suggested that we try Noodles if on a budget or Winston's if money was not an issue. The previous night we ate at The Olde Fish Market (or something to that effect) near the Royal York Hotel where we stayed. Our experience there was the worst service I have ever encountered. I'll spare you the details but it appeared to be racially motivated (my GF was African-American but believe me.... neither of us jumps to the race card as a conculsion unless it's so blatant that the intent is obvious).

Called Noodles the next day to make a reservation and had a delightful chat with the person I assumed ws the maitre'd. When we arrived that evening the maitre'd said "Dante has been expecting you and wants to meet you before the meal". We were given one of the best tables in the house and Dante sat down to chat with us a few minutes later - he turns out to be the owner/chef and was the person I spoke to on the phone. He was incredibly warm and friendly, made recommendations from the menu, returned during dinenr to ensure that were enjoying ourselves and then insisted on paying for our dessert. We were young, ona budget and had little to no experience with any kind of fine dining. I still remember that evening fondly to this day -mhow ironic that it occurred the night after the worst service I ever received.

Apparently he had no heirs to whom he could pass along the business and chose to just close down when he retired but he is missed.

I have had many experiences with excellent service and I always tell the management about it when it occurs. Another way I acknowledge an excellent server in a restaurant that I frequent is to request that server when making a reservation.

The one incident that sticks out though occurred in a most unexpected place. This occurred sometime in the early 80s on a business trip. I arrived late after a horrible plane ride (weather) and had trouble finding the hotel where I was staying. It is after 9:00pm by this time and I am hungry. The dining room was surprisingly formal and looked pretty empty. I asked the hostess if it was too late to order or should I try room service. She most gracefully said something like "Certainly not. You look like you could use a nice meal properly served." She proceeded to seat me at a very comfortable table and the server appeared immediately. I asked for suggestions. She said something like... "After difficult travel starting off with something light is advised." She seemed so perceptive I suggested that she just do the deciding and serve me dinner. She proceeded to supply a small cup of delicious fish chowder and a perfectly lovely salad. The grapefruit sorbet was a surprise. Then came a reasonable portion of beef tips in a wonderful red wine sauce. She also supplied a glass of very good red wine that was refilled promptly to the correct level. I declined desert and asked if it would be possible to get an Irish Coffee at the bar. "Oh, goodness. No need to go to the bar. I will fix you a proper Irish Coffee right here." Then she rolls up this huge table with all of the fixings in gleaming silver. I still remember the pile of oranges on the silver platter and the huge heap of tan crystal sugar glittering in the light. She proceeded to perform the whole routine... dramatically cutting an orange, wiping the lip of the crystal mug, coating in sugar, toasting the sugar over the flame, whipping the cream... you get the idea... and served it with a flourish. Then she made another one for me to take back to my room! (She didn't even ask me. She was reading my mind.)

Total damage was only about $30??? I tipped VERY generously.

A lone woman late at night when I am sure the restaurant staff would rather go home and I don't remember ever feeling so pampered and genuinely cared for. And this in a not-so-remarkable Hilton in Mobile, Alabama. Ya never know!

epilogue: I sent a hand written letter on nice stationery to whatever Mr. Hilton was boss at the time. I received a gracious handwritten reply.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I think the best service I've ever had was at Grand Vefour. I don't think they were dealing with anything unusual except my father's very restrictive diet, which they did their best with (he wasn't completely satisfied, but it's hard for a French restaurant to take out all the butter and cream). It's just that the level of choreography - really, the level of service in a sort of essence of the meaning of that word - was greater than I had ever experienced anywhere. Everything was attended to so smoothly and professionally, and everyone concerned was friendly, helpful, and - again that word - so thoroughly professional, relaxed and confident in the knowledge that they knew exactly what to do at every moment, so that we would have the ideal experience. Since Grand Vefour is the only Michelin 3-star I've been to so far, I have no way of knowing whether their level of service is typical of restaurants in that class.

Michael aka "Pan"

This is a really great thread! Enough with the bitching about restaurants.

A few experiences stick out for me:

Aqua in SF circa 1992. I had my chef at the time make the reservation for me, so they knew I was in the business, and I remember every single dish served that night and the sense of every person on staff making a point of making us feel welcomed. Still the standard-bearer for me.

A birthday at Gramercy Tavern (where I have celebrated every birthday since), served by one of the best, Christopher Russell, who took personal interest in our selections and wine choices and made it so memorable.

And a lunch in Boston at Brasserie Jo, sitting alone outside, extremely depressed during a pending breakup. I ordered a cheap glass of red wine with my steak frites. The waiter must have known how low I was feeling, he brought over a decent bottle of Bordeaux despite what I'd ordered and poured it. You know, wine isn't really the answer for your problems, but that gesture sure as hell made me feel like I wasn't so alone and bad off. Kudos to whoever that was.

The best service I've ever had was at Bandon Dunes (the golf resort on the Oregon coast) on November 1. We were down for The Family Game - three of my best friends in the entire world and I get together at least once a year to play a lot of golf, drink a lot of scotch (or apple martinis, in Kelly's case) and laugh hard enough to tear your ab muscles. So we did 36 at Pacific Dunes that day, came home, got dolled up and hit the nicest resto on the property...

Six of us for dinner (The Family and two of the caddies we'd met that week); only hiccup is that we made the reservation for four. So we show up kinda hopin' and wishin' that they could sqeeze us in, and they assure us that if we'd be willing to wait until they turned a six-top over, etc, etc. We say sure and thank you soooo much, hit the bar for a cocktail - hard life when you've got a Tanq Ten martini in your hand and a staff that's doing you a favor - and within minutes, we're being shown to the finest table in the place, a huge six-top dead smack in the middle of the dining room.

Nicolas, our server, never missed a beat - big smile, an encyclopedic knowledge of the menu and wine list, and a knack for the occasional side comment/dirty joke (which, as our caddies will attest, is the direct line into the Family's heart). What can I say...he read us, and became Family immediately. Meal was awesome - duck and orange dumplings, dungy crab cakes, the best creme brulee I've ever had, and lots of good wine - and he made us feel like we were the only folks in the resto, did everything personally. Anyway, I snatch the check, tip hard, and thank him (and his manager) for the great night.

Best part.

We're staying in the Lily Pond cabins, and each cabin has 8 hotel rooms in it. Well, I sneak out for one last smoke around 1AM, and as I'm coming back in, I see Nic in the hallway. "Man, they got you workin' room service too?" I say. He laughs (god, what a laugh - big man and he laughs all the way down from his feet, so it's a roomshaker) and says "No, sir. The family and I are staying here tonight...house is being renovated." Turns out he's two rooms down from us. "Sir's my daddy, Nic, and I ain't my daddy. It's Todd. Got time for a drink?" I ask. So I snuck into the room past the passed-out Texas, and we had a snort of my Highland Park 1977 out on the front porch...and he told me all about his three kids and how much he loved working there, and made a point of thanking me for the tip without making me feel embarrassed - which, by the by, made him the only person to ever pull that off, 'cause I embarrass about that kind of thing real easy.

The next night, Tex, Scotty and I had dinner in the bar. Nic served us - as well as his tables in the resto, two physically different locations - and when I asked about it, he just laughed and said "You guys make me smile. You play in the rain today?"

Todd McGillivray

"I still throw a few back, talk a little smack, when I'm feelin' bulletproof..."

You know, wine isn't really the answer for your problems,

Speak for yourself!

The most memorable service I had was my first trip to Chez Panisse (downstairs), many years ago. I was probably 23-24, and it was the fanciest restaurant I'd ever paid for, if not visited. It was one of those times when you feel like there are at least 4 or 5 people devoted exclusively to your needs -- but in a very unobtrusive way. One woman helped us with the wine (she suggested a knockout Bourgoge blanc for under $40), and when she left to get the bottle, another woman walked by, said "oh, I'm so sorry, you're left handed", and moved my wineglass to the other side. I was sitting there with my hands in my lap, talking to my date. No watch, no rings. I have no idea how she knew. (I also have no idea which side the glass is supposed to go on, but no matter).

There is of course nothing particularly generous about this gesture, but it was a perfect symbol of the staff's level of concern with my comfort, which was exemplary. I was so happy with the experience that I almost didn't mind when I realized the next day that I'd tacked on an additional 20% tip to the 18% they include in the bill!

Almost.