• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quality food shopping for the home cook?

JPW

Given your location:

There is a Thai market on University right next to Georgia that's been there for 25 years, for a good reason. Good selection and prices and a take out section.

Whole fish is good from the Korean Korner, and Lotte

Fillet of fish for me I have to buy from Sutton Place Gourmet or Whole Foods. Though expensive, its the freshest fish you can buy. I know the guy who sells the fish to Sutton and says most of it is day old! as opposed to previously frozen or 3 day fresh~@#%

Fruits and vegetables, during the season; Grosvesnor Market is a hidden treasure near the corner of Tuckerman and 355, they are in the bottom of a high rise and get all their produce from Lewis Orchard (Dickerson, MD), a 100 year old farm with the best tomatoes, peaches, and corn EVER!, among other things. They also have good meats and will order anything you want.

No real butcher shops to speak of, which is sad, but that's what happens in the world of KMARTS. Again Sutton Place does have awesome meats, though so Expensive.

I am still on the hunt for a great baguette, and an edible croissant....can anyone help! I don't know what it is, maybe it's the American fear of butter/fat, but every time I try a croissant some where it is reminiscent of cardboard.

Croissant PLEASE FIND ME!!!!!~ J'ai Faim!

Well don't just stand there......get some glue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am still on the hunt for a great baguette, and an edible croissant....can anyone help!

On a related note I'm searching for good bagels. My favorite independent bagel shop in Congressional Plaza just closed down and I'm heartbroken. The lovely owners got squeezed out by some chain willing to pay higher rent. :sad: I had been buying bagels from them for ten years, both in their old location and in the Plaza.

The replacement has to carry salt bagels, and their everything bagels must include salt and caraway seeds. :smile: Good lox would be a bonus.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Bagels suck-diddly-uck in this town. And I have a looser definition of a "good bagel" than most self-respecting Jewish people do. I've actually stooped to the level of buying Einstein Bagels in recent months, from Costco. :angry: What was this place that closed, Heather?

I've had marginal bagels from Snider's, Chesapeake Bagel Bakery, Greenberg Bagelry, Whatsa Bagel, and that place in the shopping center with Office Depot in Rockville...I think it's called Bagel City? I like the kitsch factor at Bagel City but the bagels themselves rank only as marginal.

I eat mostly onion bagels, FWIW.

Bagels suck-diddly-uck in this town. And I have a looser definition of a "good bagel" than most self-respecting Jewish people do. I've actually stooped to the level of buying Einstein Bagels in recent months, from Costco. :angry: What was this place that closed, Heather?

It was called Congressional Bagels, owned by friends of friends, and their bagels were the only ones I found in this area worthy of being called a bagel. I was there so much that the staff knew to pull the extra dark ones for my order. They got me through both pregnancies, sniff.

You would think that with the relatively large Jewish population around here there would be better bagels available, but it's not the case. :sad:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Butcher

The best local and very convenient butcher that I use is the Laurel Meat Market on main street in Laurel. It isn't too far from most closer in suburban MD folks and I huighly recommend them. They can also order almost anything you can imagine if you give them a day or two notice. The folks who work there really know their meat, too. Just look for the big cow sculpture on the street corner in front of the store.

Question--

I am too bloody lazy to sift through all of this thread, but I'd be interested in finding a list of recommended suburban-MD farmer's markets, their locations, hours of operation and so on. I am mainly interested in PRODUCE.

As for Whole Foods Silver Spring's produce section, uh, I don't think it sucks. The Whole Foods in Rockville, now THAT place does suck. But honestly, I still have yet to find a place where I can get all of my produce needs fulfilled. I always end up having to go to 3-4 places.

You would think that with the relatively large Jewish population around here there would be better bagels available, but it's not the case. :sad:

My fiancee is from NY, and after every time we go up, the car smells like bagels for a week due to our bagel-smuggling operation. :wink:

Real NY bagels, even after freezing, are better then the best DC bagels. It's the water.

IMO Bethesda Bagels on Bethesda Ave. are as good as it gets around here without driving 5 hours. When I worked in Bethesda on the weekends the line would be out the door first thing in the morning, but that was a few years ago.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Comet Deli on Columbia Rd., a block off of 18th street, will sell you frozen H&H bagels from NYC--they're boiled and mostly baked, and you pop 'em into your hot oven for 12 minutes (I think) to finish them off.

I also like the bagels from the Georgetown place across the street from Dean & DeLuca--can't remember the name, but they're _good_.

Having spent endless hours chasing fine food in DC, I'll throw in my 2 cents...

Bagels: The Bagels at Georgetown Bagel Bakery -- across the street from Georgetown Park -- are as good as 95% of the bagels you will find in New York, and unquestionably the best in the city. Dense, yeasty and fresh. GBB just began offering some excellent bialys, as well.

Fish: The Cannons in Georgetown seems to have gone downhill in the last few years. Dean&DeLuca, in addition to offering a half-dozen kinds of cured salmon to top the bagels you bought across the street at GBB, usually has a limited selection of extraordinarily fresh (and high-priced) fish. This weekend they had the most beautiful rockfish I have ever seen, as well as sashimi-grade tuna. The Georgetown Fresh Fields seems to have better fish than the other locations of the store, for reasons not clear to me, a much larger selection than D&D and a large portion of it just as fresh. Having passed on the rockfish (dammit) I ended up picking up some wonderful cod from them last night.

Meet: I like the Union Meets in Eastern Market, a real old-time-y butcher where the guys behind the counter have opinions on, say, the best pork for homemade sausage -- and have the casings for sale as well. A good place to pick up stock bones at a reasonable price, onglets, large and odd cuts. The Georgetown Whole Foods has dry-aged beef, which I find dissapointing, but better than most available. Wagshalls' has been a little disappointing, too.

Cheese & Charcouterie: Dean and DeLuca, hands down.

Asian: Da Hua, on H st in Chinatown. My favorite source for dried jelleyfish, frozen dumplings and soy sauce by the liter. Good vegetables, interesting meet, scary fish. Not as good for non-Chinese Asian ingredients.

Produce: The farmers markets can't be beat. Too bad it will be months before we move out of the root vegetable phase.

I second all positive comments on Vace and Litteri's, too, with Litteri's being a great Saturday morning errand. The other vendors in the farmers' market there range from exotic to scary, well worth exploring.

Good luck, good eating.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Wow, so far there have been more quality responses to my original query than I could have possibly predicted. I'll be doing up a list soon so that people don't have to read the whole thread.

Wanted to comment on one thing...

As for Whole Foods Silver Spring's produce section, uh, I don't think it sucks. The Whole Foods in Rockville, now THAT place does suck. But honestly, I still have yet to find a place where I can get all of my produce needs fulfilled. I always end up having to go to 3-4 places.

Among the things that I have been unable to find at WholeFoods SS more than once (even with asking the quite good staff)

1 - Flat leaf parsley

2 - Basil

3 - Any mushroom that is not button or portobello

4 - Fennel

5 - Any semi-hot long pepper (e.g Anaheim)

I judge on things that I can't find in two different trips b/c something I've only looked for once is apt to be something more rare or out of season that I can't always expect them to have.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Both the Georgetown and the 14th and P Street locations have beaucoup mushrooms and peppers, at all times. This weekend they had cepes, shiitakis, oysters, wood ears and a couple others. Their herb selection is a little overpriced, but generally well-stocked. I've never known them not to have fennel or flatleaf parsley.

Not to shill for WF, but they have always delivered for me on the fungus front.

I'm on the pavement

Just my 2 cents but I certainly concur with everyone that to find all the necessary well-priced items on a weekly shopping list you MUST visit at least 2 if not 3 or more separate groceries.

That being said, if we are valuing availability+price+customer service, ignoring what your own personal time will cost you. I sincerely vote for Super H in Falls Church?? Fairfax?? I have no idea where it actually is, I just take 50 West for about 20 miles. Can someone please compare the big Asian grocery store on Georgia Ave. to Super H for me, as I have never been to the Georgia Ave. store, though I understand that it is the same company.

Lets also talk about cleanliness, Super H is basically spic and span and they have at least 4 different kinds of mushrooms always, roma tomatoes, which okay, not in season, but for roughly 99 cents a pound, you can let the ripe up enough, 3 different egglants, myriad of options. Pretty extensive selections.

I have never gotten past my awful memories of going shopping with my Bubbie to the Magruder’s in Rockville. That place was sooo dirty, like TB says, if they let one part of their place look like that, imagine the places that you don’t see.

That being said, I did get over my phobia of dirty floors to see the wonderment of Walmart over Target, so maybe there is hope for me yet getting to the smaller Asian groceries.

Oh, and I am always pleasantly surprised by the produce at Shoppers, at least the one in Rockville, plus, their doughnuts are the closets I can find to Montgomery’s. However, I think that their prices are nothing great. My Safeway (social Safeway, though we are not supposed to shop there since their union is protesting or something like that), and Shoppers and for that matter Super Fresh prices are totally ridicules on regular everyday items. Sorry, but if I want my parmigiano reggiano, I must pinch a penny where I can. Though, The Mediterranean Bakery has a reasonably priced domestic parmigian with similar qualities that the imported stuff does (melting, bite).

Thanks for listening to my ramble.

Oh, and my sister loves the pizza dough at TJ’s.

sure it isn't healthy, but why deny oneslf?

Among the things that I have been unable to find at WholeFoods SS more than once (even with asking the quite good staff)

1 - Flat leaf parsley

2 - Basil

3 - Any mushroom that is not button or portobello

4 - Fennel

5 - Any semi-hot long pepper (e.g Anaheim)

Is that because they were out, or because they don't carry it? Even the Rockville Whole Foods, which I hate, has 6-7 kinds of mushrooms and flatleaf parsley isn't a specialty item by any means.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Is that because they were out, or because they don't carry it?

I don't hit WF too often because it upsets me, but it has been my experience in SS that --

They are often out of flat leaf. Once or twice I have seen oyster mushrooms there but very irregularly and can't recall ever seeing more than 3 types of 'shrooms out. The peppers are very hit or miss. They have NO basil except in the prepackaged clear plastic containers. (And here too, they are often out of a variety of the different herbs). While I have seen the little postcard display for fennel I can never recall actually having seen it.

Others may have had a better experience at the store. I may just be a crotchety old coot. If it had been only once or twice that they didn't have something, I would not be so down on that store, but at the price you pay for WF shopping I expect a little more.

Edited by JPW (log)

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Someone above mentioned the Safeway and their workers protesting. Here is a little background on the Safeway strike.

More than 70,000 UFCW members in Southern California are taking a stand against corporate greed. Forced to fight by supermarket giants demanding wholesale cuts in health benefits that would leave current workers unable to pay for their care—and effectively leave future employees without any health care coverage at all--workers from seven locals voted over 90% to reject the offer by three of the largest supermarket operators in the country, Von's (Safeway-owned), Ralph's (Kroger-owned) and Albertson's and set up picket lines October 11, 2003.

The job action was limited to Von's in order to reduce any inconvenience to customers but the other chains responded by locking workers out of their jobs.

Even though operating profits for Kroger, Safeway, and Albertson's over the past decade have risen ten times faster than their contributions to worker health care in Southern California, the companies insist on what amounts to a 50 percent cut in medical benefits that would shift almost a billion dollars in health care costs onto employees over the term of the proposed contract.

These workers are on strike for all workers—union and non-union—here and across the country knowing if these three supersize, super-profitable, supermarket chains can cut benefits here, then every worker is at risk.

If you want more information on the strike, please go to www.ufcw.org

I for one am boycotting Safeway until there is an equitable end to the strike.

Jennifer

Does anyone remember a Mediterranean deli/market next to the ghetto Giant and G.C. Murphy's (in the 2 Amy's and Cactus Cantina hood)? Smalti's or something...

Where did it go? Someone said Faxhall Square, but they lied to me...

Anyone have a clue what I'm talking about?

Does anyone remember a Mediterranean deli/market next to the ghetto Giant and G.C. Murphy's  (in the 2 Amy's and Cactus Cantina hood)?  Smalti's or something...

Where did it go?  Someone said Faxhall Square, but they lied to me...

Anyone have a clue what I'm talking about?

Yes! I loved that palce.

When I lived in that neighborhood they knew me by name (although it was the wrong name). I too heard that vicous rumor about Foxhall and was very disappointed when I found out the truth. I have no idea where they went, and have not found a decent replacement in upper NW.

The Med. Bakery is suppose to be good, but I have no idea where it is, although I have the feeling it is somewhere in Va.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Sorry this took so long, but I've been swamped. I did up a quick list from the posts last night. The list (in a very rough form) so far is at the bottom. I'm planning on fleshing it out when possible. Any additions and correction are welcome. I'd be happy to send the Excel file this lives in to any who so desire.

Since I spend as much/if not more on home food than eating out, I'm actually considering maintaining this on a fairly regular basis.

Looking forward to blowing part of my Xmas bonus tonight at Firefly. Wait, let me rephrase -- spending money on good food is not blowing money, it is enjoying the fruits of my labor.

Can't wait.

Type Name Location

Asian Da Hua H St Chinatown

Asian Lotte Rockville Pike Rockville

Butcher Canales Eastern Market DC

Butcher Union Meat Eastern Market DC

Butcher Treuth's Ellicott City

Butcher Laurel Meat Market Main Street Laurel

Butcher Wagshal's Mass Ave

Farmers' Market Town Hall Alexandria

Farmers' Market Courthouse Arlington

Farmers' Market Dupont Circle DC

Farmers' Market Carroll Ave Takoma Park

Fish Cannon Seafood Great Falls

Gourmet Dean and Deluca M St Georgetown

Italian Marco's Colesville North of Georgia Silver Spring

Italian Vace Bethesda/Cleveland Park

Italian Litteri's 6th and Florida NE DC

Italian subs Luigi's Wheaton

Jamaican New Hampshire Ave Langley Park

Japanese Daruma Bethesda

Korean Kam Sam Rockville

Korean Maxim Rockville

Korean Han Ah Reum Georgia Ave Wheaton

Kosher Katz's Kosher Rockville Pike Rockville

Market TPSS Coop Ethan Allen and Carroll Ave fork Takoma Park

MiddleEast Yekta Rockville Pike Rockville

Organic My Organic Market College Park/Alexandria

Produce Grosvesner Tuckerman and Rte 355 Bethesda/Rockville

Thai University at Georgia Langley Park

Thai Thayer Ave between Georgia and Fenton Silver Spring

Joe W

Aldo Molina, the colourful and skilled former cheese buyer at Dean & Deluca, is now at Arrowine in North Arlington. The counter there now looks conspicuously like the old one at D&D, but the prices are about 25-30% less. He also is now working again with Tito, his protege from the old D&D days.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with Arrowine. MOF, if Aldo wasn't there, I'd probably not set foot in the place.

Jake Parrott

Ledroit Brands, LLC

Bringing new and rare spirits to Washington DC.

Aldo Molina, the colourful and skilled former cheese buyer at Dean & Deluca, is now at Arrowine in North Arlington. The counter there now looks conspicuously like the old one at D&D, but the prices are about 25-30% less. He also is now working again with Tito, his protege from the old D&D days.

Aldo - I loved that guy. I might have to drive all the way out to Arrowine just to say "howdy." He is a man who truly knows and loves cheese, I'm sure his selection is extraordinary.

I'm on the pavement

Here's a topic that will actually get me to register and post: fresh tortillas. Does anybody have a line on a DC tortilleria, or even somplace like Fiesta Mart (for any of you who have done time in Texas)?

I don't know if any, but if you find some please post the location.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

JPW, thanks for compiling this great list... you might want to add The Italian Store on 29 in Arlington to your spreadsheet (great deli counter, all kinds of imported and made-in-house goods, and La Brea Bakery baguettes).

ecreson, I bet you could find fresh tortillas somewhere in Langley Park. If you haven't already, you might try calling Samantha's (the Salvadoran/Mexican restaurant) or stopping by one of the local pupuserias (like Vanessa's on Piney Branch) for a lead. Good luck, and welcome!

Erin

you might want to add The Italian Store on 29 in Arlington to your spreadsheet (great deli counter, all kinds of imported and made-in-house goods, and La Brea Bakery baguettes).

Grab a slice of pizza while you're there-- the white pizza knocks my socks off.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

To add a few more Virginia shopping locations:

Super H Mart on Route 50 in Fairfax is a good source for asian foods, and also for fresh vegetables and fruit. Very nice baby bok choy, chinese broccoli, leeks, fava beans much cheaper than at Fresh Fields, ginger, asian pears (again cheaper than Fresh Fields), persimmons, cold sake. This store is owned by the same company that owns Han ah reum in Maryland.

Slavins in Arlington (near intersection of Glebe and 395) for fish and seafood.

I'm glad someone mentioned the Italian Store -- the sandwiches are terrific, good prosciutto, among other things.

Heidelberg Pastry Shoppe in Arlington for all kinds of baked goods.