• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seafood terrine

guajolote

This kicks ass and is easy to make. Your guests will be muy impressed. Sorry for the shorthand and the typing errors. Let me know if you are interested and can't make out some of the instructions.

thousand -layer smoked salmon terrine with caviar sauce

3 # smoked salmon

salmon mousse

8-9 oz smoked salmon

3/4 cup basil leaves

1/2 # cream cheese

4 oz butter

2-3 drops Tabasco

1/4 cup oo

1/2 cup chix stock

1/4 cup lemon juice

1/2 oz gelatin

2 T flying fish roe, salmon roe or other caviar

line 3 baking sheets with parchment cover parchment with salmon, overlapping if necessary top with another sheet of parchmetn rub and press all over freeze for 30 min while preparing the mousse prcoess salmon and bsil add cream cheese and butter a little at a time add T and process til smooth add oo in thin stream place stock and lemon in pan sprinkle on gelatin and heat til dissolved cool nad add to mousse transfer to bowl stir in ff roe spread 1/3 of mousse over 1 tray invert another salmon layer on top rub and press all over repeat divide into 5 12 inch strips, each just short of 3.5 inches wide invert 1 strip onto cutting board cover with mousse repeat spread any left over mouuse over tops and sides with metal spatula freeze for 30 min cut in half and stack on top smooth and square off edges with metal spatula dipped in hot water refrigerate up to 3 days serve with caviar sauce and cucumber fans

caviar sauce

2.5 cups homemade mayo

1/4 cup chix stock

3-4 T lemon

10 drops Tabasco

6 oz ff roe or other caviar

1/4 cup chives

tomato paste or beet juice for color

All the ingredients have to be really, really cold in order for the emulsification to take place. But you probably already knew that, eh?

Noise is music. All else is food.

All the ingredients have to be really, really cold in order for the emulsification to take place. But you probably already knew that, eh?

no i didn't. i've never done anything like this?

did you do one in class? was it worth the time?

thanks essvee, that looks good. there's going to be lox at the party though so it might be redundant.

All the ingredients have to be really, really cold in order for the emulsification to take place.  But you probably already knew that, eh?

no i didn't. i've never done anything like this?

did you do one in class? was it worth the time?

thanks essvee, that looks good. there's going to be lox at the party though so it might be redundant.

Dude:

We did not do a seafood terrine in class. We did a pate de Campagne (all pork butt and pork liver), a chicken liver pate, and a duck terrine with pistachios and dried cherries.

There was lots of "eeewwwww, gross" -ing and "man, I ain't touchin' no motherf***in' fatback"- ing going on, but those of us with (ahem) more ambitious tastes enjoyed Terrine Day.

Not to split hairs, dude, but I am under the impression that what makes it a terrine is that it is cooked in an actual terrine dish. We used little baby loaf pans and baked them in a water bath. Same diff, in my opinion.

Noise is music. All else is food.

I realize it's not a terrine, but I have a recipe somewhere for a smoked shrimp savory cheesecake. I've never tried it, but it sounded good when I copied it from wherever I found it.

Here's the recipe for the cheesecake. It seems to me that I was copying down notes from a cooking show, because what I have is not terribly complete. But I think there's enough to go on.

Bread crumbs

Butter, melted

1 1/2 lbs cream cheese, softened

5 eggs

1/2 cup flour

1/4 smoked shrimp stock *

cocktail sauce**

1/2 lb. smoked shrimp *

4 oz. roasted red pepper

For the crust combine the bread crumbs and butter and press into the bottom of a spring form pan -- 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.

For the cheesecake, combine the cream cheese, eggs, flour, cocktail sauce and smoked shrimp stock and mix until smooth.

Notes:

* I didn't write anything down about how to smoke the shrimp, but I vaguely recall them sort of poaching them in a pan on the grill -- hence the stock. Sorry I can't provide more info.

** I wrote down 1/4 cup of 1000 Island dressing on the ingredient list, but crossed it out and wrote "cocktail sauce" because I don't like 1000 Island. I'm thinking that 1/4 cup of cocktail sauce would probably work, but it might be overwhelming, so you might start with less, or use the 1000 Island if you like it.

Back to the recipe:

Coarsely chop the shrimp and dice the roasted pepper and mix together.

Pour half the cream cheese mixture into the pan. Top with shrimp and peppers and then the rest of the mixture.

Bake at 300 degrees for 40 minutes. Let cool at room temp. and then refrigerate overnight.

Note:

I didn't write down anything about a water bath and can't remember if they used one. So you're on your own there. Again, my apologies for incomplete information.

Anyway, I hope it's enough information to work out a complete recipe if you decide to make it. And I'd love to hear how it comes out.