• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New in town

JohnnyH

In Kenvil on Rt 46 West try Captain Fresh. It's a Asian market with a large seafood Dept. Everything fdfrom Dungeness crabs, whole lobsters and a large amounts of filleted fish. Also believe it or not the seafood at the A&P in Randolph is also good.

Johnny, I think it's time you take a ride to Wegman's! I was at the Woodbridge store on Sunday, and as part of a tour (something I'll post in a separate thread), we did ooh and ahh over the seafood department. They had a tremendous variety of fish, and even within each type, numerous kinds (i.e. there were at least 4 kinds of salmon). As one example, the chef mentioned that they get skate, something that isn't usually easy to find. Their supplies are very fresh and constantly changing--might be worth it for you to check out! At the very least, you could call and ask what they're currently stocking.

There are now Wegmans stores in Bridgewater (an easy shot down 287 to 202 for you), Woodbridge, Princeton and a fourth further south--I believe in Manalapan. Woodbridge is the largest store, and if you like to eat and cook, I'm guessing you'll be pleased with the quality and selection of seafood and everything else!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Let us know what you think, Johnny! I'm sure you'll find the staff there to be very well-informed and helpful...let them know if there are specific things you're looking for, too.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Let us know what you think, Johnny! I'm sure you'll find the staff there to be very well-informed and helpful...let them know if there are specific things you're looking for, too.

Absolutely.

And Lou -- I'm actually going to be on 46 a little later today; gonna stop in Captain Fresh as well...

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

That's interesting...I had a convo about this with the chef there on Sunday. The only future site in NJ that's currently listed on their web site is in Ocean Twp (Fall '04). I believe that somewhere in the DC/DelMarVa forum there was a thread on Wegman's and someone with inside knowledge said they were considering Wayne NJ (OH, would I be thrilled!) but the chef said they hadn't made any decisions that he was aware of--and he's at the regional level.

I'm with Rosie--don't know where there is space for a 130-150,000sf store + parking in East Hanover!!

If you are looking for Capt. Fresh, the store changed owners. It has a similar inventory and a new name which I don't remember. They also carry some interesting aisian items as well as produce such as fresh raw peanuts. I have also seen durian there.

Prompted by a similar post by Menton1 seeking fishmongers in Westchester, I'd like to renew my search for same in Morris Couny. Scratch that -- I'm willing to travel so I'm widening the net, so to speak.

I've paid visits to the shops mentioned so far in this thread, but I haven't been bowled over. I've found that most of the fishmongers I've visited -- Denville Seafood, The Fish Market (Morristown), Whole Foods and certainly Kings -- tend to have a very limited variety (salmon, tuna, sword for certain, but not much in the way of whole fish or less common varieties). I also haven't been impressed with turnover -- a lot of what I've seen has looked as though it's been waiting around a day or two too long.

I'd love to find a place I can trust and that might carry a wider selection. Can anyone help?

in dover have you tried Fred's? it's on the main drag - east blackwell street. i've used them off and on for years.

since i am in sparta more often i use jerry's seafood in the theatre plaza. go tuesdays or thursdays since those are the days they hit fulton up. always tends to have various size shrimps as well as sole, flounder and haddock. have also gotten orange roughy, char, smelts, trout, halibut, alaska salmon as well as white salmon.

they also make seafood soups, crab puffs, crab cakes, smoked salmon, and stuffed clams.

enjoy the search

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

If you are looking for Capt. Fresh, the store changed owners. It has a similar inventory and a new name which I don't remember. They also carry some interesting aisian items as well as produce such as fresh raw peanuts. I have also seen durian there.

it's ca (chinese american) grocery now.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

In regards to Wegmans... It was in the Star Ledger in early January. But now that we're past 14 days, nj.com won't show the article without paying an archive fee. The article said something about the mayor of East Hanover wanting to make sure Wegmans made it through all the planning hurdles. The area certainly could use one.

Edited by skinsey123 (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Except for a few years as a New Yorker, I've lived in Morristown all my life. As a new member reading through old threads, I found this one very close to my heart and regret not being able to participate in the earlier stages. Here are a couple of things I'd like to add.

If you like Dublin Pub, you might enjoy Hennesey's (by the train track underpass). They have a very similar ambiance/sense of comradery, but Hennesey's has better food for lunch - at least they used to.

Regarding the German butcher shop behind Epsteins (Market St.) that the previous author mentioned. I grew up eating top notch meat from there, but in recent years my financial situation has necessitated other venues for purchasing meat:) I was there about a year ago to splurge on a chunk of sausage. The meat in the case looked pretty impressive, the sausage (hunter) was magnificent, but the smell of the store wasn't all that up to snuff. If you do happen by, I highly recommend the sausage. It's a flat sausage that he has hanging. He also had a homemade pepperoni that looked impressive.

For fish, I'd say try either the new Asian grocer in east hanover on rt 10 (across from Home Depot) OR Top Quality (formerly maxims) on rt. 46 in Parsippany. Both places smell horrid, but... they do have what appears to be some pretty lively fish swimming in tanks for sale. That seems like fresh fish to me :)

One restaurant I haven't seen mentioned is Settebellos on Cattano St. Although I think some complacency has crept in over the years, I still consider them to be one of the better Italian restaurants in the area (in it's price range). The same family that owns Settebello owns Sebastian's Steak House - down the street from Dublin. I have never been there but I have heard good things about it.

As far as general shopping is concerned, if you're willing to go as far as Bridgewater to go to Wegmans, I'd highly recommend a trip to Wharton to go to the 24 hour Shoprite there. Being one of the newer(read: cleaner) shop rites in the area, it's where I do most of my shopping for meat and produce. Being right off of 80, it's surprisingly quick to get there (20 min). Their small Irish food section is worth noting as well.

And lastly, a note on Tim Schaefer's. My mother, owner of a palate almost discerning as mine, went there two years ago and describes it as one of the "worst meals of her entire life" Tim Schaefer, is, as my mother puts it, "living proof that the CIA doesn't have the slightest notion of how to train a good chef". I, personally, have never been to his restaurant, but I have had the opportunity to sample his pulled pork sandwich at a town fair. And that... was to die for! There you have it.

Except for a few years as a New Yorker, I've lived in Morristown all my life. As a new member reading through old threads, I found this one very close to my heart and regret not being able to participate in the earlier stages. Here are a couple of things I'd like to add.

Thanks Scott -- much appreciated. You're not the first to recommend Hennesey's, though I have yet to check in. This weekend sounds like as good a time as any...

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis