• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New in town

JohnnyH

I think Dublin Pub is destined to be the local hang
:smile:
Now I've got another question: Where are all the specialty shops? I'm particularly interested in finding a good butcher and I'm dying to find a fishmonger. Any help here?
i'll ask around at work. lots of my colleagues live in mo'town.

Welcome to Morristown,

I've lived in the area for over 20 years and have probably eaten at every Morristown restaurant. Here are my favorites:

Grand Cafe- for that special night. Food has always been very good and service attentive.

Tim Shaffers- have consistenty had good eclectic American food here although on the borderline of pricey.

La Campagne- probably best Italian food in Morristown

If you like buffets, for lunch I enjoy going to the Indian restaurant on washington street Cafe India which we actually like better for buffet than Moghuls

Another favorite for Sushi is Naras which is hidden behind Burger King. The best take out deal in Morristown is Top's China near the same location. I love their sesame chicken lunch or dinner which runs about $4-$6 and is usually enough for two people. We take it home to eat rather than eat there.

As far as bars go, our kids like the Office, Famished Frog, and occasionally go to the Dublin Pub. Our son has frequented Cluck U for their variety of spicy chicken wings, etc.

Hope this is of some help in finding new restaurants in Morristown.

Johnny,

I'm certain that others will come up with places that are closer (i.e. Madison Fish Market), but the Denville one (Denville Seafood is the official name, I think) is GREAT! It's on Main Street in Denville...take Speedwell Ave to Morris Plains, follow to Rt. 53 for about 5 miles; it ends in "downtown" Denville. Not exactly around the corner for you, but also not that far away! Plus, you can go, have lunch there, take stuff home to cook, and stop by Denville Dairy (diagonally across the street) for fabulous homemade ice cream! Just my $.02. :cool:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Johnny,

I'm certain that others will come up with places that are closer (i.e. Madison Fish Market), but the Denville one (Denville Seafood is the official name, I think) is GREAT! It's on Main Street in Denville...take Speedwell Ave to Morris Plains, follow to Rt. 53 for about 5 miles; it ends in "downtown" Denville. Not exactly around the corner for you, but also not that far away! Plus, you can go, have lunch there, take stuff home to cook, and stop by Denville Dairy (diagonally across the street) for fabulous homemade ice cream! Just my $.02. :cool:

Thank you!

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

Sure! As I said earlier, I grew up out there and still spend lots of time hanging out in Mo Co. Once you get settled in/around Morristown, I'm sure you'll get tons of suggestions for other places within a 1/2 hour drive. :smile:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Sure! As I said earlier, I grew up out there and still spend lots of time hanging out in Mo Co. Once you get settled in/around Morristown, I'm sure you'll get tons of suggestions for other places within a 1/2 hour drive. :smile:

It's funny, but coming from Manhattan I still can't believe that I have to drive a half an hour for anything. Been a long time...

-- Albert Ellis

Oh, so you were spoiled by NYC, huh? :biggrin: I guess those of us out in the 'burbs feel like it's no big deal to drive to get the good stuff!

Sure!  As I said earlier, I grew up out there and still spend lots of time hanging out in Mo Co.  Once you get settled in/around Morristown, I'm sure you'll get tons of suggestions for other places within a 1/2 hour drive.  :smile:

It's funny, but coming from Manhattan I still can't believe that I have to drive a half an hour for anything. Been a long time...

But you will get free parking at any NJ restaurant you drive to. :biggrin:

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Rosie,

Have eaten at Central Vs South American restaurant on Morris Ave between Cutters and Dunkin Donuts but forget the name. The food was average although I may not be a good judge or fan of this type of food. The menu seemed to be standard fare for a South American restaurant. There are restaurants that have come and gone on Speedwell Ave in the "Hispanic area" but have not tried them.

Will be going to South Beach later this month where I hope to be able to sample some great Cuban and South American food. Any suggestions?

Sorry, Rosie...no clue about Casa Di Amici. I'm sure someone will have some info for you, though!

Rosie,

Have eaten at Central Vs South American restaurant on Morris Ave between Cutters and Dunkin Donuts but forget the name. The food was average although I may not be a good judge or fan of this type of food. The menu seemed to be standard fare for a South American restaurant. There are restaurants that have come and gone on Speedwell Ave in the "Hispanic area" but have not tried them.

Will be going to South Beach later this month where I hope to be able to sample some great Cuban and South American food. Any suggestions?

Put a note up on the Florida board. I ate at Norman's in Coral Gables and thought it was very good.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I'm certain that others will come up with places that are closer (i.e. Madison Fish Market), but the Denville one (Denville Seafood is the official name, I think) is GREAT!  It's on Main Street in Denville...take Speedwell Ave to Morris Plains, follow to Rt. 53 for about 5 miles; it ends in "downtown" Denville.  Not exactly around the corner for you, but also not that far away!  Plus, you can go, have lunch there, take stuff home to cook, and stop by Denville Dairy (diagonally across the street) for fabulous homemade ice cream!  Just my $.02.    :cool:

DITTO. Curlz wrote my entire post.

So you don't waste your time, there's no fish market in the area as good, let alone better, than Denville Seafood. Don't miss the point about eating there, they have several tables, but if you want to do dinner you need to be there by 6 PM, any later and the place is full, and they close around 7-7:30, so you can't really be seated much later and have time to eat dinner. You can, of course, get take out if you arrive late, but they have amazing fried fish & seafood, and that doesn't travel well.

In regards to Fish Markets in Morristown...

There is a fish market in town (The Fish Market), behind the Morristown Diner near the train station. They opened about a year or 2 ago, and seem to do a decent business. I've had some success with fish, clams, and lobster there, and everything was fresh. Great service too (He ordered a few lobsters for me on short notice).

Kings Supermarket (South St) has also never disappointed me in terms of fish. Great selection and decent turnover.

If you're a fish fan, and are starting to get comfortable with driving everywhere... give Opah Grille in Gladstone (NJ Monthly Review) a shot. About a 30 minute drive southwest. Great fish!

Perfect! I'll give them both a shot -- one of them as early as tomorrow night -- and report back. Now I've just got to figure out which one of these roads leads to Denville...

-- Albert Ellis

So Johnny, did you get to Denville Seafood? I was out in Mo Co yesterday, and as I drove from Rt. 53 towards Morristown, thought of you!

And ditto on theArthur's recommendation...great steaks and burgers, and the Guinness really does flow there. It's on the corner of Speedwell Ave and Rt. 202, right across from the Morris Plains train station. Oh, and the other poster was right--cash only. And since we've got you heading in that direction, when you're on Speedwell, just before you cross over Hanover Ave, there are two places on your right worth checking out--Tiffany's has great ribs, and Hunan, right after it, has great food if you're in the mood for Chinese in a nice atmosphere.

We'll get you set yet...

:biggrin:

Curlz...Do you mean the Madison fish Market that was opn

Main St, quite near to Il Monde Vecchio? If so, they closed

a few years ago; if not, I'd be interested to learn the

location of the fish market as I love fresh fish.

Summit's La Focaccia [a popular BYO] has recently opened

a sister restaurant in Morristwon, named Orzo it inhabits

the former home of Ten Square. Haven't tried it yet.

Sorry to mess with you all...the Madison Fish Market was there when I lived in Madison (5+ years ago); they've obviously gone out of business!

:huh:

There is a fish store in the square where they have the farmers market in the summer. On Morris Ave as you approach the shopping centere with the Burger king(also CluckU) you turn left into the little road by the diner. The fish market is on the left. A previous comment was made about Sagebrush- i believe it is closed.

There is a butcher shop behind Epsteins. The Fish Market over near Dunkin Donuts is good and the owner is helpful. There is a wonderful bakery down old 24, Marra's where you can get an awesome cheesecake. C'est Cheese is a bit pricey, but you can get good cheese and takeout there. Also the Creamerie has good ice cream and sandwiches.

• 2 months later...

Prompted by a similar post by Menton1 seeking fishmongers in Westchester, I'd like to renew my search for same in Morris Couny. Scratch that -- I'm willing to travel so I'm widening the net, so to speak.

I've paid visits to the shops mentioned so far in this thread, but I haven't been bowled over. I've found that most of the fishmongers I've visited -- Denville Seafood, The Fish Market (Morristown), Whole Foods and certainly Kings -- tend to have a very limited variety (salmon, tuna, sword for certain, but not much in the way of whole fish or less common varieties). I also haven't been impressed with turnover -- a lot of what I've seen has looked as though it's been waiting around a day or two too long.

I'd love to find a place I can trust and that might carry a wider selection. Can anyone help?

-- Albert Ellis