• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New in town

JohnnyH

Just moved to Morristown from NYC, and to say I'm feeling a little disoriented would be putting it mildly. Any help finding the places that will make me feel more at home will be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking for the good restaurants of all price levels -- from burgers to white linens. Also need to find a couple of bars worth wasting my time in. Can anyone help?

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

Welcome to Morris County! I actually grew up there and although I've moved about 1/2 hour away, still long for my days in Madison/Morristown. A few suggestions/comments:

Calaloo Cafe is about as cheesy as it gets; don't waste your time unless you want to live in the Miami Vice era, complete with bad food and a constant supply of flies in the restaurant (UGH).

Joe's (I think that's what it's still called) up on South Street near Kings used to get a pretty full 20 to early 30s crowd and you used to be able to get a decent burger there.

Famished Frog (on Wash St, right off the Green) is pretty hopping (no pun intended), 'tho the food is nothing too special.

On Speedwell Ave, across from HQ Plaza, you'll find one of my favorite restaurants in NJ...Tim Shafer's Cuisine. $$$, but it's BYO, and the man puts out some GREAT food. Go with foodies and/or with at least a small group, as it's great for a festive occasion.

Pazo Pazo is a few doors down and although I think it's expensive for what it is, packs them in to the bar and restaurant.

There are tons of great restaurants within reach of Morristown, including in Madison (Shanghai Jazz for upscale Chinese food, Firehouse for great pizza), but I don't want to overwhelm you. :biggrin: Hope those ideas help get you started!

Curlz

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Other Morristown restaurants are Asahi Sushi; Frank and Claudios; Moghul; Sirin Thai and in Whippany Cinque Figlie.

In Madison there is Il Mondo Vecchio--BYO and in Chatham A Taste of Asia which serves Mayasian food (BYO). Be sure to give us a report when you go out.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I've been to only one restaurant in Morristown - Pamir. Being one of Syrian descent, I thought they had very good Arab food (Afghan, the only one in the state). Grab a bottle of wine (BYO), take your shoes off and sit in the front window with 5 friends. I recommend it.

When your ready to venture out, take a 15 minute ride west down 24 to Sammy's in Mendham - a "must have experience" (at least once). I have not had better shrimp scampi anywhere and they have good steak (but expensive).

I like this topic; now I'm learning something about Morristown too.

Keep it going!

:smile:

:D

I am sure some people will disagree, but Tim Schafer's is the most over rated restaurant in northern Jersey. The food sounds great on paper, but the execution has always ruined a great idea. We went years and years ago, back when there were 8 or 10 tables, up until a few years ago. Each time I went I tried to like it, kept giving it another chance. Unfortunately, each time they managed to ruin something. I think chef Schafer has his stuff together, but the kitchen crew needs work. I haven't been back in a couple years since I was tired of throwing away money trying to like this place.

There are better ways to spend your time and money...Some of the other suggestions in this thread are good. Head over to Madison or Chatham for a good meal...

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

In Chatham, Serenade, is an upscale restaurant with excellent New American cuisine.

Oh yeah, and Scalini Fedeli in Chatham is like dining in an Italian heaven.

PS: they don't have an official website and they're byo (sort of).

Scalini Fedeli has a liquor license. If you are going to BYo there ask what the corkage fee is.

Sammy's in Mendham is known for their steaks and lobsters. One of my favorite places.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

The Famished Frog gets a great bar crowd Thurs & Fri evening, and often has live music. They also have an attached and more upscale (As in dress code), cigar bar - The Sidebar. Jimmy's American Grill (Probably the Joe's the first reply-er was thinking of) is a big bar/dance club that tends to get a big college & 20-something crowd most nights. They get decent local bands and has-been bands (The Nerds, Vanilla Ice, Big Orange Cone, and others). Dublin Pub - great Irish pub that gets a good, consistent sized crowd. It can get a little crowded, but has a great fish & chips dish and great soups.

The Office - Morristown's version of Bennigan's. Decent bar and happy hour crowd. You can't go wrong with Moghul's - 1 of 2 Indian restaurants in town, and some would argue amongst the best in Jersey. You've got New Main Taste in Chatham (Good Thai, albeit a bit pricey). Penang in East Hanover (Good, cheap, Malaysian/Thai food - cash only) and Cosi in Morristown (A nice fast casual kind of place with great sandwiches and soups), both related to their NYC cousins. Asahi Sushi is my favorite in Morristown, but Nagano has been around for a longer time and still packs 'em in. Oh, and there's also South Street Trattoria in Morristown- good casual pasta & flat-bread pizza, also BYO.

You can't wrong around here. Don't limit yourself to the same restaurant too many times. I've begun to hear comments of Morristown becoming Hoboken East for its variety and quantity of restaurants. Enjoy!

Since no one has mentioned Sagebrush Steak Cantina, I will. It's next door in Cedar Knolls. Lively weekend bar crowd. Tex/Mex/Steak by the ounce. Fun place.

Second Cinque Figlie, one of our favorite places that I miss ever so. I disagree with the dis of Tim Schaefer's, we've always had very pleasant experiences. If you're going to the movies at HQ Plaza, keep in mind they validate parking, and don't bother with the food court or hotel restaurants, just walk across the street to any of the local places.

Also ditto to Sammy's Ye Olde Cider Mill. Remember there's no sign to let you know you're at the restaurant, pay attention to the address.

You're asking me? We've always had positive experiences there.

I'm glad to hear it from you, Rachel. I've always herd mixed things. Based on your experience, I'll make it a point to check it out next time I'm in town. Thanks

My wife and I ate in Tim Schaefer's this spring. The food was okay, but not exceptional. I can't remember in detail. However, I thought that the prices were very high. Fish specials (not lobster or crab) were $30. The staff wasn't too great, either. If you catch Il Mondo Vecchio or Garlic Rose on a quiet night, I think that you would have a better experience.

My wife and I ate in Tim Schaefer's this spring.  The food was okay, but not exceptional.....

Rosie, another typical discouraging example? :sad:

PS: I love jambalaya. That alone will get me there, regardless.

Thanks once again to everyone who helped out here -- I've already made it to a couple of the places mentioned (I think Dublin Pub is destined to be the local hang), and I've got plenty of places to try in the coming weeks.

Now I've got another question: Where are all the specialty shops? I'm particularly interested in finding a good butcher and I'm dying to find a fishmonger. Any help here?

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis