• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

poaching salmon in a dishwasher

Kim WB

A friend reported eating great salmon that was cooked in the dishwasher.  Aparently, a large filet was well wrapped in foil, along with lemon and aromatics.  It was placed in the dishwasher, which was run (without soap).  She said it was excellent.

She didn't know whether the pot scrubber setting was used.

I think there was another thread on this subject.

Living hard will take its toll...

I think there was another thread on this subject.

Search was not productive ... but we had a GG thread on loading dishwashers and the issues between husbands and wives .. and lots of salmon threads of all types ... :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

it's a neat idea of course.  but i can't imagine choosing this option over the numerous other methods of cooking fish.  unless it's for the "neat-o" aspect, which, of course, has its merits.

You have to know Bob Blumer to understand that the "neat-o" aspect is what he built his reputation on. In faireness, though, he rarely sacrifices quality or flavour for "neat-o" but he's not called the SURREAL GOURMET for nothing. I recently bought his book, "Surreal Gourmet Bites" and have had enormous fun with it. Just tonight I made his "Coffee Crisp" and it was both fun and luscious.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Perhaps the issue of length is why one might opt for this choice of "poaching" ... not everyone has one of those shiny, gleaming, pristine, long salmon poaching pans with the lid ...

Interesting thought here: when I looked for salmon+poachers, I got a lot of people with criminal records!! :hmmm: Sign of the times?? :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

The dishwasher's great for thawing bacon in the package. I also saw a recipe once for a braised dish cooked on a car's exhaust manifold over a three hour trip. Also had lots of aluminum foil but you had to stop every hour to rotate. Then there's blast furance coffee, similar in concept to Turkish coffee at least in the brewing method, but with a very very different source of heat.

Bode

To my knowledge, Bob Blumer first introduced this in a Maxim magazine article in late '98 or early '99. I remember this because I was in Italy in the summer of '99 and saw it at a friend's house in Montepulciano.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Perhaps the issue of length is why one might opt for this choice of "poaching" ... not everyone has one of those shiny, gleaming, pristine, long salmon poaching pans with the lid ...

i'm not familiar with this type of pan.

i still wouldn't put food into a device that often has off-odors and whose temperature obviously fluctuates from home to home. not mention the fact that my dishwasher often has, um, dishes in it by the time i'm cooking the fish.

that surreal gourmet guy is very entertaining.

Its not very surprising.

You are trying to get the salmon to about 45C/115F. That is the low setting on my dishwasher. Maybe a bit higher to allow for the foil wrapping etc, - normal is around 50C, will pretty much gurantee perfect salmon every time.

Plate warming oven would do as well.

Its not very surprising.

You are trying to get the salmon to about 45C/115F.  That is the low setting on my dishwasher. Maybe a bit higher to allow for the foil wrapping etc, - normal is around 50C, will pretty much gurantee perfect salmon every time.

Plate warming oven would do as well.

how long do you wash, errrr, cook salmon at 115F to get the salmon to 115F?

Edited by tommy (log)

i don't know how hot my dishwasher gets.  what's the best way to find out? ("by sticking your fat head in it tommy" is not an acceptable suggestion)

There is such a thing as a min-max thermometer. Leave it somewhere over a period of time, and it will register both the minimum and maximum temperatures over that period. So, pop one in the dishwasher and run a load. You never know. If it gets cold enough, maybe you could make gravlax, too.