• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sesame

njduchess

I was there for a birthday party and everything was pre-ordered. However, I liked all of the dishes we tried except one which was a shrimp in a very sweet coconut milk tasting sauce. It may have been the Grand Marnier shrimp. The menu has some interesting items such as mini octopus or squid with salt and chili pepper; fish ball soup; seafood soup which I thought was great; pickle cabbage and shredded pork noodle soup;orange flavor tofu; sha cha beef or shrimp (anyone know what this is?); shredded chicken Szechuan style; Singapore Mai Fun ; salmon filet with scallions and ginger or with a black bean sauce; chicken with fresh mango; three cups chicken; Peking duck dinner ($42.95) which includes soup for two, duck lo mein, and fried rice; and crab meat with sauteed spinach. This is just a sample of the more unusual dishes. Haven't been back on my own yet and await your report.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

~~~~~~I sha cha beef or shrimp (anyone know what  this is?); ~~~~~~~~

It's called Chinese Barbecue Sauce, but it's not the sort of sauce you find on ribs. It is similar to Satay sauce and can be used as a glaze or added to a stir/fry.

The ingredients usually include ground peanuts, some sort of dried fish &/or shellfish, spices, maybe sesame. It is not red and glistening as other BBQ sauces.

How was the dish, that you had, served?

I didn't feel particularly motivated to try this place last night (partially because of Rosie's post). Just because we like to try new restaurants, we will eventually in the coming weeks, and will let you know.

What was it about my post that turned you off? I listed the more unusual dishes but the other dishes are what you find in Chinese restaurants. Don't know for sure but I assume they have specials also. I expect to get there eventually and will post more info when I do.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I have tried Sesame and it's pretty decent....both times were for lunch and the dishes I ordered....(General Tso's Chicken and Shredded Beef Szechuan style) were both better then your average Chinese Take out....for $6.60 it was worth it...very big portions also...I didn't finish it all either time....I would like to see what the dinner menu is all about....

rosie, your description actually made the place sound halfway decent!

They redecorated the whole restaurant and the decor and ambiance are lovely. Beautiful dishes with unusual shapes are used to serve the food--not what you would find in your neighborhood Chinese restaurant. Also, the owners gutted the kitchen and brought in all new stoves, refrigeration etc. Lots of stainless steel. And it is BYO with a boutique wine store one step away if you forget to bring wine.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I was there for a birthday party and everything was pre-ordered. However, I liked all of the dishes we tried except one which was a shrimp in a very sweet coconut milk tasting sauce. It may have been the Grand Marnier shrimp. The menu has some interesting items such as mini octopus or squid with salt and chili pepper; fish ball soup; seafood soup which I thought was great; pickle cabbage and shredded pork noodle soup;orange flavor tofu; sha cha beef or shrimp (anyone know what  this is?); shredded chicken Szechuan style; Singapore Mai Fun ; salmon filet with scallions and ginger or with a black bean sauce; chicken with fresh mango; three cups chicken; Peking duck dinner ($42.95) which includes soup for two, duck lo mein, and fried rice; and crab meat with sauteed spinach. This is just a sample of the more unusual dishes. Haven't been back on my own yet and await your report.

I also thought the selections were interesting. A little mix of traditional with untraditional. Sounds like the kitchen is thinking and not just dishing.

The dishes I posted were from the menu not from the party.

I do realize you were pointing out what you saw on the menu. Quite varied! Not many places have Three Cup Chicken. What were the pre-ordered dishes for the party? (aside from the shrimp with coconut milk)

Hmmm. I'm sure I'll leave out some as I didn't take notes. Off the top of my head we had vegetable and meat dumplings; squid; seafood soup; shrimp toast;dry sauteed string beans; sesame chicken; lo mein; chicken with fresh mango; and birthday cake. I'm sure I forgot some dishes.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Rosie:

Wanted to answer your question...

It wasn't anything that you said that "turned me off." It's just that often times you absolutely "swoon" when you love a place that you've been to, i.e. that first trip to Fascino. I just had to get there ASAP. You just weren't swooning -- and I was in need of a treat. Circumstances have prevented us from dining out as frequently as usual in recent weeks, and I was needing to swoon that night.

Marie

NJDuchess

Rosie:

Wanted to answer your question...

It wasn't anything that you said that "turned me off." It's just that often times you absolutely "swoon" when you love a place that you've been to, i.e. that first trip to Fascino. I just had to get there ASAP. You just weren't swooning -- and I was in need of a treat. Circumstances have prevented us from dining out as frequently as usual in recent weeks, and I was needing to swoon that night.

Marie

As I said the dishes were pre-ordered and although very good I really didn't feel that I could tell you much about the place other than the dishes were tasty enough for me to return to this restaurant and try the dishes that I would find more interesting.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

We decided to go to The Petite Cafe in Nutley. We've been there several times and find it pretty reliable. I ordered the poached pear and machego cheese salad with raspberry vinaigrette to start. For my entree, I had seared Hawaiian Ahi tuna with a wasabe dijoinnaise (sp?) sauce. It was quite good. My husband had shells stuffed with veal and porcini in an extremely rich cream sauce. I couldn't handle more than a taste since it was so rich. We shared a banana cake topped with sauteed bananas and creme fraiche.

I think that part of it was that we always receive a warm warm welcome there - even though we are much less than regulars (and it's fairly easy to park!). The most recent new restaurant that we tried was Aozora. We were seated next to a large group of people who were pretty noisy and the hostess said she could not seat us elsewhere because the other tables were reserved (only a few had reserved signs on them). It had taken us nearly a half hour to find parking so we just sat down and had our dinner. The food was very good, but the overall experience was lacking because the group was so loud.

Marie

NJDuchess

So its not a serious authentic chinese restaurant, but rather a gourmet American-Style chinese place, like Mr. Chu's on RT10 in East Hanover?

EDIT: Actually, some of that stuff does sound kinda authentic.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host