• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Frenchies!

Chef Fowke

Had the luck of coming across a leaflet for ‘Frenchies!’ restaurant today at work. I left early, grabbed my wife, and went for an authentic Montreal Smoked Meat Sandwich! Wow. Very good. The sandwich was a little lean compared to Schwartz’s in Montreal but the light rye bread, the pickle and the coleslaw were 10/10.

Coke in a glass bottle. Nice touch.

But only opened until 9pm. I ate all my smoked meat in Montreal after 1:00am. Hopefully after the business gets going they will expand there hours.

This is worth a trip to Helmcken and Howe!

Chef/Owner/Teacher

10 minutes away from the noon hour and someone mentions smoked meat...ymmmmmm

There is actually a bar close by that does serve decent smoked meat...I am not sure who their Montreal supplier is.

Being another expatriate from Montreal just the thought of smoked meat evokes memories...Ben's, Dunn's [why I needed a smoked meat sandwich and a slab of Dunn's cheesecake in the wee hours of the morning after all that liquor remains one of life's mysteries] and of course Schwartz'

The next time we are out in Vancouver will have to check out Frenchies

I am very passionate about my smoked meat! I met my wife while she was attending McGill in Montreal. We spent many a dates in Schwartz’s (she spent five years in school with me driving from TO every alternating weekend to see her).

The only problem with living in Vancouver is it is too far from Montreal.

Here is my previous thread/discussion on Smoked Meats: eGullet Pastrami Thread

Chef/Owner/Teacher

• 4 months later...

Happy Days! That's a blast from the past..lol. Sorry to hear it was just ok..do you know Hastings and ? The cravings have started and would like to try something other than Siegals..although those bagels are awesome..hmm. THanks Coop. p.s. could you recommend someplace?

I'm no expert ... but any thoughts on Kaplan's Deli? I had a corned beef on rye there a couple weeks back that I could barely fit into my mouth! Split it up over 2 lunches. Nice dill pickles too. Knish anyone?

DA

Kaplans, i think is the best smoked meat and jewish deli in the city.. AMAZING!! and their pickles, i could drive up there right now. maybe a Knish too Daddy A.

DANIELLE

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."

-Virginia Woolf

Solly's gets my vote... and if you are into DIY, there is a guy with a stall at the Granville Island market that has good stuff.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza