• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Houston Meat

slkinsey

I'll be in Houston for holidays at the end of the month, and as usual I'll be doing most of the cooking. In the past I have done a standing rib roast on Christmas Eve, and I'll probably continue that tradition -- but I'd like to be able to get a really nice piece of meat and support a local full-service butcher if possible.

Any recommendations? I'm in the Rice U area (Southside Place), so nearby is always good.

--

Hopefully someone can recommend a full service local butcher, but you are also going to be near Central Market. The folks who work their meat and fish counters are both knowledgeable and passionate. Traits you almost never see in a supermarket, but then again Central Market is no ordinary supermarket. They carry prime and a good quality of choice beef.

If you have not been to Central Market yet, then I would suggest you get your ass there ASAP, it is a cool place.

Yea, I've been to central market but I was hoping for a butcher rather than a meat counter in an upscale gourmet supermarket. I think (hope) a butcher could probably give me better quality for a cheaper price, too.

--

Real butchers are pretty scarce in Houston, as they are in much of the South, I'm afraid.

It's a drive for you (what isn't in Houston?), but I always had my best luck at the meat counter attached to Perry's in Friendswood (not the better-known branch in Clear Lake). This is where they cut the meat for their restaurants, and there are a couple of real meat guys there, shepherding the teenagers that staff the counter. Decent sausages, lamb and double-cut pork chops, too.

It's been three years since I've been there, so you might want to call first and make sure they're still around.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

there used to be a pretty decent butcher shop on Murphy road and Lexington. The funny thing is I was looking forward to patronizing his shop when I moved to that area of town and sure enough he closed his place down a few weeks afterwards saying that the place was sold to dentist!! Now there is a dentist's office over there. Actually it is not that funny.

I was under the impression that Pete's was a Deli (not sure why), it's good to know that it is a butcher shop since I am also thinking about doing a standing rib roats for Xmas, depending on how many people are coming. Slkinsey, let us know what you find out if you go there before I do.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I have not found a decent butcher shop in Houston. However, I have discovered that the grocery chain, H.E.B., carries UDSA Prime Beef.

HEB, headquartered in Kerrville, TX, has recently opened serveral new and nice markets (called HEB) in the greater Houston area over the last two years. They also own and operate the Central Market. Prior to the new look in Houston, they operated what I considered to be low end grocery stores called HEB Pantry (at least for the most part). However, all of their stores carry the best produce in the city.

Anyway, I order UDSA Prime standing rib roasts from my local HEB store. They normally get it for me in a day or two, and then I dry age it. The last time I purchased, they were charging around $8 or $9 per pound.

My next move, if for some reason I can't get to HEB, is to go to Sam's or COSTCO. Both sell USDA Choice.

Sorry I can't help with a butcher, but I hope this helps with the beef!

Motochef! :biggrin:

Motochef! Enjoying fine food while motorcycle touring.

Motoblog! Motochef's Notes, Comments and Points of Interest

Motochef!

Anyway, I order UDSA Prime standing rib roasts from my local HEB store. They normally get it for me in a day or two, and then I dry age it. The last time I purchased, they were charging around $8 or $9 per pound.

I do not mean to stray from the topic at hand, but how do you dry age beef at home? I thought you need to buy a very large section in order to dry age it.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I was under the impression that Pete's was a Deli (not sure why), it's good to know that it is a butcher shop since I am also thinking about doing a standing rib roats for Xmas, depending on how many people are coming.

Elie

Pete's also serves up bbq and sandwiches. The steak/cheese sandwich is good and so are the burgers.

I do not mean to stray from the topic at hand, but how do you dry age beef at home? I thought you need to buy a very large section in order to dry age it.

This thread has some information, and a link to the Good Eats episode that discusses home aging.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I can corroborate the nomination of Pete's Fine Meats; it is definitely the best full-service butcher shop in Houston. But you really need to take a walk through Central Market anyway, so stop by their meat department as well. Their selections are way above most other meat vendors except Pete's.

For beef I think Pete's is THE place. However, if you are in the mood for pork, take a trip out Bellaire Blvd. (way out) to the big Hong Kong Market at Boone road. I think that is the cross street. Anyway, it is out oast the Beltway. Their pork is amazing. They will even cut that fresh ham off of the whole leg for you to your specifications. Even if you are not after pork, the excursion is worth it just to see the place.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

The Good Eats show that Dave the Cook references is an excellent reference for dry aging.

I do a few things differently to include a constant monitoring of meat tray temperature with an inexpensive remote thermometer.

If anyone wants the details about how I do it, just send me an e-mail and I will be happy to respond directly to you (I am trying to keep the thead on-topic).

Motochef!

Edited by Motochef (log)

Motochef!

Hey, motochef, have you found any place better for pork than Hong Kong Market? Just checking because I see a piece of pig in my Christmas future.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Fifi:

I have not found any better place for pork than the Hong Kong Market. However, I rarely drive to the Bellaire location. I typically use the Beemer Road / Scarsdale Road store.

However, if I am buying a cured ham, I look for Smithfield.

:biggrin:

Motochef!

Dave,

To answer your question about Perry's: Yes...they are still open, and as busy as ever. They also have another butcher shop at Scarsdale, just off I45. Both sell Angus beef, if that is an interest to anyone, as well as pork like you want it.

And yes, Pete's on Richmond Ave. has been a standard for a lot of folks for years.

Venado

Stopped by Pete's for lunch today, that place is great and thanks to all Houston's e-gulleteers for suggesting it. the place really felt like a neiborhood joint and it was pretty busy. I had a steak Hoagie and a bowl of chilli. Very good.

They have literally everything you might want. If it is not in the store they will order it for you. anything from Alligator, to lion, to turtle.

I asked about a standing rib roast for Xmas, they sell prime dry aged beef. I also inquired about lamb leg and fresh pork leg. It is of course recommended to order a week in advance to reserve your meat.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

• 11 months later...

Other than the massive Central Market (and those guys ain't much help!), where is a good butcher? I'm in the Buffalo Speedway/59 area, but a good butcher might be worth the travel...and traffic.

Do me proud guys, you didn't dissapoint on the breakfast taco recommendations.....

Edited by JPipes (log)

I am racking my brain for the name of the shop on Richmond near where you are. Either someone will chime in or I will get past my "senior moment". :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"