• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Houston Meat

slkinsey

Pete's fine Meats is what you want JPipes, that's what Fifi is thinking about. It's also close to where you are at.

I merged JPipes pos tinto this older thread. X-mas is around the corner so it might be time to bring this thread up anyways, in case y'all are looking into buying a nice prime rib or maybe some bear chops for the big night :smile:.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

• 3 weeks later...

I have been going to Pete's for about 8 years now. To me, it is the best butcher shop in Houston.

Michael is the owner. His dad, Pete, passed away a couple of years ago. Michael's really knowledgeable about his product, and can get just about anything you want. For tenderloin or brisket, let them apply their seasoning.

"As far as I'm concerned, bacon comes from a magical, happy place" Frank, John Doe

For tenderloin or brisket, let them apply their seasoning.

Oh my . . . Brisket from Pete's. I have always wondered what happens to the brisket from those Prime cows. I wonder what it is that they have. I certainly would be willing to give their seasoning a go. I think those guys kinda know what they are doing.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Was there a couple of days ago and Michael told me that (after several requests from myself and others) he just ordered top quality veal bones for stock and glacee. So, if you are interested in making a nice rich veal stock, get your hands on some.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Was there a couple of days ago and Michael told me that (after several requests from myself and others) he just ordered top quality veal bones for stock and glacee. So, if you are interested in making a nice rich veal stock, get your hands on some.

Elie

Now that is good information! I wonder if I have to sell my first born? (Well, actually, I would try to pawn off the second born. :laugh: )

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Elie

Now that is good information! I wonder if I have to sell my first born? (Well, actually, I would try to pawn off the second born. :laugh: )

Hopefully you won't have to Fifi. I think he said that they will sell for about 2.50/lb. So for $20 you can make a nice batch of stock.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

• 4 years later...

Anybody know where there might be Heirloom Pork available in Houston (or better yet, B/CS)? Most places I call, including Pete's, I've had to explain what it is to them. Readfield in Bryan recommended a farm (Jolly View) near Navasota but I haven't had much luck locating any contact info for them. Any advice?

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

• 7 months later...

Pete's Fine Meats is my nominee too. Central Market is great, but I'm always on the lookout for independent grocers.

I also discovered H-Mart (Blalock/North of I-10). They have a range of meats and cuts to rival Central Market (including pork belly with rind, for a roast with crackling), but at much more reasonable prices. Plus I love the fact that I can buy my fish still swimming (best way to ensure its freshness). They will fillet it to your requirements.

Fresh from London. Eating as always.

http://www.artisanedibles.blogspot.com