• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tahiti Treat

SteveW

I have never tried the Tahiti Treat soft drink. However a Montreal broadcaster frequently raves about this drink. Currently unavailable in Montreal(apparently use to be years ago), this broadcaster goes to Ontario several times a year just to obtain cases of this soft drink. So it must be good. Any comments on Tahiti Treat?

-Steve

I drink it every so often. At least in the Southern United States, it's available pretty much everywhere. If my taste memory serves correctly, it tastes a lot like the punch you see a lot at parties that's made with 7-Up and Hawaiian Punch.

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

I drink it every so often. At least in the Southern United States, it's available pretty much everywhere. If my taste memory serves correctly, it tastes a lot like the punch you see a lot at parties that's made with 7-Up and Hawaiian Punch.

That would be my take on it. Used to be able to find it here in Chicago at some of the more odd outlets.

Living hard will take its toll...

• 3 weeks later...

I agree. It's red, not identifable as cherry, strawberry or any other specific fruit flavor - just tastes "tropical fruity" the way that Hawaiian Punch does.

If you've ever to Latin America and tried Red Fanta..... they are very similar.

When I've seen it here in hte Northeast US it has been under the name "Tahitian" rather than "Tahiti".

I used to get it in Montreal when I was a kid. It was one of the drinks I prefered. In Ottawa I think I saw it in Food Basics. I am not sure if it is available all the time. I think it turns your mouth bright red which means you have to go around sticking your tongue out at everyone so they can see your bright red tongue.

I think it may be hard to find in Quebec because soft drinks in Quebec usually have more sugar than other places. The drink would have problems pouring out of the can. :laugh:

There was a guy sitting next to me on a flight recently touting something I recall as Tahitian Honey (?) drink.  Claimed it cured everything, even his mother's cancer.  Probably a multilevel marketing thing.

That would be Tahitian Noni. It's made in Provo, Utah........definitely a multilevel, pyramid deal. They even have product "tie ins" in several of the new low budget films out recently that are aimed at LDS (Mormon) audiences :blink:

Bill Benge

Moab, Utah

"I like eggs", Leon Spinks

That would be Tahitian Noni.  It's made in Provo, Utah........definitely a multilevel, pyramid deal.  They even have product "tie ins" in several of the new low budget films out recently that are aimed at LDS (Mormon) audiences :blink:

There really is a sucker born every minute. Indeed, the rate is likely much higher than just one per minute.

(BTW, it's called "Tahitian Treat" in Texas and Tennessee as well. I have never seen it called "Tahiti Treat" - I'm assuming that's a typo sort of mistake.)

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

There was a guy sitting next to me on a flight recently touting something I recall as Tahitian Honey (?) drink.  Claimed it cured everything, even his mother's cancer.  Probably a multilevel marketing thing.

That would be Tahitian Noni. It's made in Provo, Utah........definitely a multilevel, pyramid deal. They even have product "tie ins" in several of the new low budget films out recently that are aimed at LDS (Mormon) audiences :blink:

tahitian noni juice is made in utah??

baha!

I just found out earlier this week, that this Tahitian Noni is also being sold here in Montreal. As already mentioned here, it's a multi-level pyramid deal. I was given a taste by one of the distributors. It tasted awful!!! Customers are suppose to drink around 2oz per day of this stuff, to cure any illnesses.

-Steve

I just found out earlier this week, that this Tahitian Noni is also being sold here in Montreal. As already mentioned here, it's a multi-level pyramid deal. I was given a taste by one of the distributors. It tasted awful!!! Customers are suppose to drink around 2oz per day of this stuff, to cure any illnesses.

It's a wierd ass world we live in, indeed.

However, just to allay confusion, "Tahitian Treat" is a soft drink manufactured by Dr Pepper/Seven Up, Inc, not a patent medicine. It tastes like a combination of Hawaiian Punch and 7-Up, which it very well may be, given that they manufacture those beverages as well. Their web site lists (dpsu.com) it as a "regional product".

Actually, I couldn't figure out where the soda is even mentioned on their website, but a Google search found a mostly-empty page with the logo:

brands_right_tahitian.gif

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth