• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Metro Center Lunch

JennyUptown

I wish my office (just above the Metro Center stop) were a few minutes' walk closer to Breadline. In lieu of that, what else can I eat for lunch? I'm thinking take-out, not sit down, and budget-friendly.

I'm sick of High Noon soup (good, just not every day) and Cosi sandwiches don't do it for me. Capital Q is OK once in awhile. Today I tried pork dumplings from Sushi AOI. They were tasty with spicy wasabi wrappers, however there are only four to an order ($5) so I'll be hungry SOON.

If you have suggestions, please speak up. I'm hoping for a real find, but will take anything you've got at this point.

I like Port of Piraeus on 12th street, between F and G. Good sandwiches, both hot and cold, and a selection of entrees that change daily.

Stacks is also pretty good. They're on 11th and Penn. They are a true Kosher deli/restaurant. The stacked sandwiches are huge, and the meat is generally terrific, but it is extraordinarily expensive for a sandwich.

Old Ebbitt Express in the same building as, you guessed it, Old Ebbitt, serves good pasta, salad and sandwiches.

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Port of Piraeus ... Stacks

I'm having trouble reconciling these two choices coming from someone who has been to Nectar, Palena, Marcel's and Café 15 :smile:

Les Halles (13th and Penn) is a bit of a haul, but you can get a steak sandwich and fries to go from them if you call ahead, and it's a really good sandwich, too. Comes with a little frisée salad. If I recall, it's a bit pricey at more than $10.

Dean & DeLuca has a sandwich/salad carryout that's one block north of Les Halles. Carryout or eat-in, the lunch fare is first-rate, but beware the priced-per-pound salads which can quickly reach double-digits: best not to load up on the artichoke hearts.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Edited by DonRocks (log)

I bet a pizza from Ella's or the miniburgers from Matchbox would fit the bill, and be suitably fast takeout if you called in advance. Plus you get in a nice walk, yet it's not so far that your food will be cold when you get back to work.

I ate Ollie's Trolley fries for lunch once or twice in fits of desperation when I worked at FBI HQ. I can't really recommend them, nor do I suggest purchasing anything in the food bucket at the Old Post Office Pavilion.

You didn't mention Potbelly. I think their sandwiches are pretty good and a good value, though their milkshakes leave something to be desired. Potbelly sammiches were an in-house favorite among Ortanique's front-end staff, and somebody would often pick up a big order from them on Saturdays when we reported to work around 1pm. Right on 11th St, close to Popeye's.

I'm having trouble reconciling these two choices coming from someone who has been to Nectar, Palena, Marcel's and Café 15

One cannot live on caviar alone. :raz:

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Thanks for the suggestions - keep 'em coming!

To be honest, I'm not fond of Ella's. Didn't love the pizza, especially compared to those at Matchbox.

I've been to Potbelly a lot - it's definitely the most cost-effective option.

How I wish for a cheap curry joint (and no, that food court vegetarian places does not count!).

Really? I was at Ella's last weekend and really dug the prosciutto, smoked mozzarella pie. Granted, it's frou-frou pizza, but it's a welcome addition to a town that previously had very few good pizzas to recommend.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

I'm with you JennyUptown, the take-out scene around MetroCenter stinks. You should try Port of Piraeus. Teaism on 8th & D isn't too far in good weather. Or Red Sage carryout - the chili or tortilla soup is a change of pace sometimes.

You'd think with all the law firms around here we'd have a better selection!

My company has a list of area restaurants including which ones deliver. It's all crap, IMHO. On a list of about thirty restaurants, only four or five deliver. Worse, they've bulked up the list by including everything from McDonald's and Subway to DC Coast and Tosca. None of these places offer up something you want to eat for lunch every day (barring a much higher metabolism OR a much bigger budget). So sad.

It's things like this that force me to acknowledge some of DC's food voids. How I miss my NYC lunches like Two Boots for pizza by the slice...Devon & Blakely's 5-7 soup choices per day...cheap corner deli sandwiches with a big kosher pickle... flatbread pizza from Fresco on the Go... *sigh*

The takeout and delivery menus remind me...I bet you can order from Mr. Chen's Organic Chinese and have them deliver to your office. They're a cut above most of the other takeout Chinese in the area.

The takeout and delivery menus remind me...I bet you can order from Mr. Chen's Organic Chinese and have them deliver to your office. They're a cut above most of the other takeout Chinese in the area.

I second the Mr. Chen's recommendation, although I am not sure they will deliver that far down. Their steamed dumplings and noodle soups are fantastic.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

• 3 weeks later...

I feel you, Jenny. We may even work in the same building ...

Have you tried the Waffle Shop on 10th 'tween E and F? It's a Vietnamese-owned ghetto greasy spoon with a second Chinese menu (when Mama-san is in the house). Breakfast is served all day, and two scrambled eggs, home fries, wheat toast and a side of grits (my regular) will only set you back four dollars and change. Fair warning: the crowd can be occasionally rough, especially during peak hours when it's mobbed, although the waitresses are generally good about shooing away the aggressive panhandlers. I once dropped some change while I was paying my tab and when I stooped to pick it up, I noticed what looked like a bullet on the floor. Sure enough, it was a .22 round. (I kept it as a souvenir.)

FWIW, the Chinese fare is fair, although I'm only familiar with the few vegetarian offerings. Vegetable egg foo young is a standout.

Should you go, say hi to Rose. She's a sweetie.

• 2 weeks later...
the miniburgers from Matchbox would fit the bill

Man oh man...I finally had the miniburgers on Friday night/ Wow, they are good! Everything about them - the meat, the bun, etc. - but the topper? Perfectly seasoned crisp onion straws.

The prosciutto white pizza has become my favorite - I think I may have to get that for an occasional work lunch.

• 1 month later...

burgers.... the matchbox mini burgers are tough to beat (have you tried the fries there yet?), but other places near Metro Center:

Capital City Brewing (ok)

Chef Geoff's (very good - and like $5 during happy hour)

John Harvard's - don't remember

Old Ebbitt Grill

Gordon Biersch (decent)

RFD Washington (so-so)

btw, McCormick and Schmick's opened on Saturday in the space previously occupied by Angelo and Maxies. And last Friday, at the other end of Chinatown, Full Kee has (finally) re-opened.

If you go to the Old Ebbitt after 3.00 on weekdays they have an awesome

happy hour raw bar for half price. Mon thru thurs. excluding holidays.

The food is average Clydes fare, but the place is fiiled with history and is one

property that reeks I'm proud to be a Washingtonian!

If that is to late the Express might do.

Good on the run pasta dishes.

For the nice lunch with more history, the Occidental next to the Willard is nice

for special occasions. I guess I am a sucker for old buildings.

the Doctor is out!

Edited by doctoro (log)

• 10 months later...

Bump!

I finally got around to trying Port of Piraeus. It was pretty good - would have been in the sold "good" realm had my Greek chicken sandwich not been dripping with tzaziki sauce. If I order it again, I'll be sure and ask them to go light with the sauce.

If you frequent Port of Piraeus, what are your favorite items there?

Bump!

I finally got around to trying Port of Piraeus.

Do they have an additional location across and somewhat down the block from Galileo (Though it might be a block over...)? I think I might have been there once or twice when I lived in the dorm near there. It was pretty good! I'm asking because I'd go back if I knew there were a bounty of tzaziki to be had.

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog