• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Long Island

glenn

I'd like to buy a gift certificate to a restaurant for my brother and his wife who live in Great Neck. I don't know what their preferences are as far as cuisine. I wanna spend up to $200. Thanks for any recommendations.

I'd like to buy a gift certificate to a restaurant for my brother and his wife who live in Great Neck.  I don't know what their preferences are as far as cuisine.  I wanna spend up to $200.  Thanks for any recommendations.

I don't think you can go wrong with Peter Luger (Northern Blvd., Great Neck).

Edit: bigbear was quicker.

Edited by Blondie (log)

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

Let me offer up Bryant and Cooper as an alternative to Lugers.. different experience- still a steakhouse with house dry aged meat but they offer (in my opinion) better atmosphere, plus, it's more of a dining experience and they offer great shellfish and seafood alternatives should one not want to consume huge quantities of beef..

Hard to go wrong with B&C or PL, but a few other options:

Barney’s in Locust Valley offers a more romantic setting than a steakhouse if that is what you want. If you watch the wine, two people can eat well for under $200,

Ecco in Garden City has a nice Northern Italian Menu

• 2 years later...

It's 3 years later and another birthday. After a gazillion birthdays, my imagination is shot and it's gift certificate time again. I went with PL last time and it was right up his/their alley. Are the above recommendations still relevant? Any new place? Many thanks.

It's 3 years later and another birthday.  After a gazillion birthdays, my imagination is shot and it's gift certificate time again.  I went with PL last time and it was right up his/their alley.  Are the above recommendations still relevant?  Any new place?  Many thanks.

Panama Hatties in Huntington. Its the only 4 star NYT restaurant on Long Island.

I found this article: Newsday Gold Coast Restaurants while checking if Stresa was in Manhasset or Great Neck. Looks like some solid recs there, but I'm still gonna go with Stresa over the rest ($100.00/head seems about right).

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

For a place with a more relaxed feel to it and probably the best food on the Island as far as american style fare, Snaps in Wantagh is the best bet. The chef has worke in some top N.Y spots. Think Auereole without having to get all dressed up!