• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rome & Florence Restaurants

flushingflash

So....(this might seem cliche). What is your favorite restaurant in Rome and Florence? I Know...tough and overly broad question, but everyone has an opinion. Getting ready to fly to Rome with my wife, and looking for trattorias, pizza joints, unique food, and (of course) cucina tipica.

Your thoughts??

-Grazie,

Steven

This won't make dinner, perhaps :raz:

but our absolute favorite gelato place in Florence is:

Carabe 60R Via Riscolli (4-5 blocks north of the Duomo).

The family that runs this come from Sicily and they ship all the best fruits from Siciliy and Southern Italy. The range of sorbetto and gelato flavors is incredible and the flavors clear; the texture creamy but not with any of a 'gummy' texture we found in some places. The gelatos sing of fresh milk. One of my favorite flavors was the "Fior de Latte". Also had incredible nut flavors, almond, hazlenut. Apple, Pear and Canteloupe Gelato.... Hmmm..

We were there for a week and half. Found this place early in the visit and then went back each day; too many flavors to try!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I can recommend Pizzaria Remo in Testaccio. Take the Metro to the Piramide stop, walk west on Via Marmorata a few blocks and turn left for a couple of blocks. Ask anyone for directions since its a neighborhood hangout. IMO, the best pizza anywhere. There will be a crowd, but NO touristas.

Last week had wonderful meal at I Ghirbellini(sp?) , Cibereo and Oliviero.

These were essentially dinners. OfCourse, nearly every other place in Flrence serves great meals at lunch and in-between at times :smile:

anil

• 4 weeks later...

Here are some of the photographs from Cibreo in Firenze.

i1871.jpg

The pre appetiser chichette (sp?) (from left,top and then right) consisting of tripe with kemon and olive oil, carpacio of ham, jello of puree of assorted vegetables and fish, and small burcehettas with olive and vegetable.

i1876.jpg

Hot fresh bread baked like a bone placed between the plates.

i1873.jpg

raw fillet of fish (catch of the day) with lemon, oil and some paprika. I actully forgot what the waiter told me.

i1872.jpg

and finally a mousse of salmon and chives and things unknown to us. I do have some more images of simple lunch and good wholesome meals we had in Firenze -That will now have to wait for a later date.

[Patience till I get this upload and importing images nailed down :smile: ]

Edited by anil (log)

anil

I couldn't choose a single favorite; it depends on whether I'm in the mood for simple/cheap or expensive/complex. In October I spent a week in Rome photographing and eating; a few restaurants are mentioned in my travelogue starting at http://www.straughan.com/italy/rome.htm

best regards,

Deirdré Straughan

http://www.straughan.com

Steven,

Florence: Osteria Santo Spirito has an amazing truffle cheese gnoochi dish. Nice cured meats, olives, bread,... Sostanza - best steak I've had...yeah, better than Lugers :raz: , amazingily simple desert of wild strawberries w. cream & sugar. Apps are just ok.

Rome: Il Convivo - nice for high end. Il Drappo - excellent bang for buck restaurant. Pizzeria Baffeto - razor thin crust very good pizza, service can be bad. Aurora 10 - amazing grilled fish & seafood. La Campana - 90% tourist, good/very good apps, mediocre entrees, awful service.

ChowAlf

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I adore the hosteria Orso '80 in Rome, via del orso 33 Start with the table full of anipasti and then see if you have room for more!

I was recently in Rome with 50 foodies..and one of my favorite meals was at Ditirambo -- don't have my notes with me now..

Also ate at Giggetto wasn't really impressed, heard piperno was better.. I always buy herbs from Mauro in the Campo di fiori.. even my husband ( Florentine) loves when I use these dried mixtures!

There is a new Wine Academy to the left of Babbington's tea room near the Piazza di Spagna..

And I REALLY enjoyed Gusto, the new center with restaurant, Pizza, shop and winebar.. near Piazza Augusto Imperatore on the left side of the Piazza..

FLorence????

look at my dining guide.. besides All the regulars that are great.. try Cavolo nero!

another of the mom and dad places Sergio's is now open for dinner, Tuesday meat, Friday Fish!

• 2 years later...

hi, my wife and I will be vacationing there in a few weeks and im trying to get a list of what are the 'must' eats. im hoping to check out any brick oven bakeries and pizzerias. also any place that serves really good wine.

any recommendations? thank you!

I'll get me travel journal out on the weekend and send you some names of spots.

Beware in Venice, there are oh so many tourist traps! Favorite sit down spot is La Zucca. I also know of a fabulous pizza and foccacia bakery. The thing the locals do is eat little plates at the bars for dinner.

I know of a great Sicilian place in Rome - in my mind it is a must dine at location - I am sure I have posted on it, but not sure which thread.

PM me if you don't see a post in a few days.

• 5 weeks later...
hi, my wife and I will be vacationing there in a few weeks and im trying to get a list of

any recommendations? thank you!

great thread here

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=40491

"Gourmandise is not unbecoming to women: it suits the delicacy of their organs and recompenses them for some pleasures they cannot enjoy, and for some evils to which they are doomed." Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

MetaFooder: linking you to food | @foodtwit

• 2 weeks later...
Have just got back from Venice and Da Ivo, near the Rialto is well worth a trip, but do make sure you book.

Da Pinto near the Canada Hotel is a great wine bar surrounding a tremendous restaurant.

Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that’s bad for you!

Tommy Smothers

• 4 weeks later...

one of the links to a Firenze dining guide lists Trattoria Za Za. I would highly recommend that too. The food is very simple, and I mean that in the most complimentary way - pasta with pesto, walnut sauce, crostini (various), wine by the carafe, and if the weather is nice sit outside. I have many memories of great meals there. This is not a michelin restaurant, but a local, good food place. Traditional dishes like pappa al pomodoro, tre ministre, etc are also very good. It is right near the Mercato Centrale, in the square on the back side of the actual market building.

As for good pizza in Firenze, when you are walking through the open air market in the Mercato, look for a place with the sign outfront that says "pizza a taglio" - it is great. The restaurant is behind some stalls, so keep your eye out. You buy your pizza by the weight and they have numerous varieties- the dough, the sauce and everything is good.

have a great trip

• 1 year later...
Is there a guide along the line of "A food lovers guide to Paris" by Patricia Wells for Rome / Florence??

Emily Miller has recently published a new edition of her Food Lover's Guide to Florence, published, I think, by Ten Speed.

Maureen B. Fant
www.maureenbfant.com

www.elifanttours.com